Tamarindo to Witch's Rock... or, not.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by chad05gt, Apr 16, 2012.

1. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    I am a novice surfer, surfing only one year...:cool:

I AM IN TAMARINDO at WRSC, and am getting the **** kicked out of me in front of the camp; paddle ok, follow line ok... on good ones.:rolleyes:

Boat ride to Witch's Rock tomorrow for 50$. O.O

Should I just go do the damn thing, or will I be miserable and not catch one damn wave and miss my last full day of surfing in Costa Rica (flight home Wed. at 330pm) to surf such a break.

Tamarindo to Witch's Rock, or, not?!?!?!?:confused:

2. sttcustoms

sttcustoms New Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Go!

Witches Rock (Roca Bruja) is a world class wave. If you've been surfing Tamrindo all week its worth the 50 bucks just to see it and say you went. Its a huge sand bottom beach and your paddling from the boat into the line up so at you'll be spared an ass kicking paddle out for your first wave. Was there twice a few weeks ago and even when its small its still real fun and both days I went it was almost empty. Plus it cost me 250 to rent the boat so 50 ain't too shabby. Good luck!

3. DaveyB

DaveyB Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2008
    do it, its fun, ollies is right around the corner as well. boat ride is long though.

4. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Beware of the crocodiles.....true story.

5. David

David Well-Known Member

May 24, 2006
    Go for sure, Witches is a kick ass waves. The croc is real, but if you are lucky enough to see Shredder, he's pretty tame. The boat ride and trip are worth it.

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Hahaha... yea, 'cause it's all about sayin' that you went!

But sttcustoms is right... quick, easy paddle to the lineup of a world class sand bottom beachbreak wave. And for $50 you can't pass it up.

7. WeekendWarriorMdVaNc

WeekendWarriorMdVaNc Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Definitely go!

Bring water and sunblock.

I drove there with friends from Tamarindo, which involved around 7 hours of traveling (including the 5 mile 'road' into the national forrest, which took the majority of our time). It was totally worth it. Scored my first legit barrel there. It was just perfect reeling overhead barrels, almond shaped and forgiving.

8. n2waves

n2waves Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I can't believe someone had to post this question on an internet forum :cool:

9. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    you should your damn computer away and go talk to some chica's at the monkey bar...

10. Sleazeside's Finest

Sleazeside's Finest Active Member

Apr 5, 2012
    dont you need a solid swell in order for witch's and ollie's to be worth the trip? and if so isnt it always smaller there then more exposed beaches? trying to learn because i leave for longosta on friday. also where is the best website to check the surf in costa. swellinfo is killer for my local break but for costa they split the entire west coast into only 3 sections. surfline doesnt update more than a few times a week and magicseaweed always calls it bigger than it really is. they are good with period prediction though.

11. chad05gt

May 16, 2011
    Didnt go. Ive only been surfing for a year... I know my skillset, and even in Tamarindo I see guys on Rusy's and CI's and Im catching/surfing ALOT more than them. I dont want to go until I can do tha damn thing right!
    lll never be a surfer, but I will surf good; eventually.
    Being a poser just isnt worth missing a good day on my little beach break in Tamarindo where I can have fun and still learn and improve.

I cant say that Ive been there... yet ;)

As in everything, I believe in respect and an appreciation... Im not yet worthy, and... if it would have been a great day, would not have been able to catch those things (I would have compromised others trip).

FWIW... those that went were a bit upset b/c it was flat O.O

All good... no worries.

At least Im not going to be 'one of those guys' that just to say they went...

12. surfer23451

surfer23451 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Good call chad05gt. I was there last month and had a great time, but I am not a novice. The boat ride was long, rough and wet - strong off-shore winds - and the water was cold. I really wish I had brought along a spring suit. The waves were very good though (5-7 ft and clean) and I had a great time. That being said, my daughter - also a novice who really enjoys surfing in smaller surf - also made the right decision to go with the intermediate group at WRSC that day. :)

13. Mooseknuckle

Mooseknuckle Well-Known Member

May 12, 2008
    dude put down your macbook and lay the hammer. doesnt sound like you have time to be indecisive

14. Sleazeside's Finest

Sleazeside's Finest Active Member

Apr 5, 2012
    chad whats the surf like in tamarindo today? i fly out friday and cant get a good report for sh**

15. chad05gt

May 16, 2011
    heading out for final lesson in 5 min, small but clean. small thunderstorm yesterday about 3pm.

some sets chest high, moreso at rivermouth.

looks like Friday am will be getting swell here in Tamarindo.

k, time to beat my 39yr old body to pure mush before flight home and get off this damn laptop.

WAS smart and left phone in Houston... BEST WEEK EVER!