Isn't surfing rediculous?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by darippah, Apr 27, 2012.

1. darippah

darippah Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    As fun as it may be, it makes absolutely no sense to me. Bottom line, your maneuvering a board in the ocean to avoid "wiping out". I mean I guess it sounds like a cool thing to do every once in a while but why the F*** are we so addicted???

2. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Because we are maneuvering boards in the ocean and avoiding wipe-outs! Come on man!

3. jchafard

jchafard Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Ridiculous* (pet peeve)

And if that's all surfing is to you, I think you've missed some of its finer points. Surfings about way more than maneuvering a board.

4. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Addicted, addicted,addicted....I got a major problem and love every minute of it!!!! Only problem is a I live on the east coast and can't get my fix everyday. Surfing has taken me to the most beautiful and exotic places in the world, I've met some of the coolest people on the planet, eaten some of the best food, and oh yea catchin a wave ain't to bad either. Rehab is for quitters.

5. H2O'C

H2O'C Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Therapy. Its just one of those ways that we humans have found that lets us truly be in harmony with the earth and the forces around it and that move it. Its simple to see how it could be addictive..It makes us happy. Who isn't for that?..oh yeah, inspiration too.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    We are harnessing energy sent through the universe...

7. nickzilla720

nickzilla720 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    ^^^^absolutely swellinfo!

8. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Now pass the blunt.

9. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I think if you're just trying "to avoid wiping out" you are taking the wrong approach entirely

10. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    maybe next time your out try to close your eyes, feel the energy... feel the waves, understand that once you enter the ocean it is no longer home.. it is no longer safe.. the ocean is the only place on earth where man i not top of the food chain. it is about the feeling of being lost.. forgetting about everything and let the ocean taking you over... today and wed i was out with my best friends and their is nothing better than sharing waves hooting and hollering. and enjoying the beauty of this world. never take it for granted because you never know when you won't get it again.

11. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    i'm not religious, but the beach is my church and surfing is communion. pass the blunt over here!

12. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I dunno. I usually land things when I don't wipe out.

13. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I would call that trying to land it rather than trying not to wipe out- you could stand perfectly still (on an LB or SUP) & never have to worry about falling and that's lame

14. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    A2... I hear ya, brother. Wednesday night's cleanup was freakin' awesome. My best session of this week's run of swell. Ate dinner with the family, went down to the beach, and got perfect chest/shoulder high sets with just a couple other guys. Pulled into a few little tubes... watched the stars come out. Drove home in the dark. Gives you that soulful feeling...

THAT's what makes it all worth it... and why we can't let go and keep coming back.

15. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Isn't that what most SUPs do anyway? Believe me, when I'm having an off day I will try the same stuff but it is more so on the "not trying to wipe out" side of things. When I'm on, its more of the "trying to land things."
    Actually, I just though of something that is going to turn our incredibly semantical discussion on it's head: Barrel riding. Is it staying mostly still and trying not to wipe out while getting deep as possible, or are you trying to land it(figuratively speaking)?

Did someone mention something about a blunt? Oh yeah, back to the topic, I have always loved the water and have always tried to spend as much time as possible in or on it--that's why I'm addicted to surfing.

16. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I'll hit that too. I was 100% surf stoke until I did some traveling. That humbled me a bit. Now if the waves are good, I go surfing. If they suck, I ride my motorcycle or mountainbike or sit in the garage smoking J's. Surfing is hands down still my favorite way to let loose but a working man has to pick his battles, especially on this coast. Basically, the travels taught me that if I was as serous about surfing as I thought I was, I would have moved somewhere with better waves. Surfing takes a place in your life, and it is exactly where you put it.

17. ocsurf21

ocsurf21 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Surfing is the only sport where I could sit on the beach and watch the ocean for hours and not be bored. I dont look up pics of basketball courts or football fields. Not only are you controlling the surfboard but the entire ocean is also constantly moving and alot more powerful and humbling than anything on earth. No half pipe or vert ramp will ever give you the feeling of dropping in to a big wave or getting ****ed up by big wave. o and pass that blunt.

18. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Working for almost your entire useful life.... Now thats ridiculous - but we still do it.

19. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    amen to everything said on this thread except the traveling part. I still need to get on that. pass it over here.

20. Topo

Topo Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    We could hit a stationary small white ball with metal clubs in small holes scattered throughout a manacured grass course. Nah, I'll surf.