Eye Condoms...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by KookieMonster, May 2, 2012.

1. KookieMonster

KookieMonster Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    So I'm going blind... I surf a lot in the early mornings and being that I am on the east coast I am constantly looking towards the sun to see when the next set is coming. Not only do you get it bad from the direct sunlight you get it doubly from the reflection off the water.

I remember in Endless Summer II Jerry Lopez was rocking these half ski goggle/half scuba looking things that were polarized. Has anyone tried these? Any recommendations?

I don't care if I look like a dork because I am one.

2. yourdirtymomma

yourdirtymomma Well-Known Member

May 2, 2012
    I haven't used them and I have wondered the same. My concern is not "looking cool" but being able to see clearly through water spots. I wipe out a lot, so a dry head is just not optional for me......yet!

3. spongedude

spongedude Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    been there....

i wear sunglasses. you will find a bigger issue than water spots is fogging, but there are remedies for both. they will fall off. find a way to attach 'em so you don't lose 'em.

4. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    this reminds me of a session last fall where the sun/reflection was barely tolerable. I had to have my hand up blocking what light i could to watch for sets. Sounds like a marketing opportunity...do they make tinted/polarized contacts?

5. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
  6. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I have them. They fog if you don't treat them. They also get water spots. I dont generally like wearing anything, but for a real sunny dawnnpatrol, I'll use them.

I have bumps on both my eyes called Pterygiums. Caused by too much sun and wind. Doc told me to get something to protect my eyes when I surf, so I use the seaspecs and/or a wide brimmed hat with a drawstring. The hat is great when traveling somewhere warm, but in NJ if its not summer it keeps my head too cool. I also never go anywhere without a good pair of polarized sunglasses.

Protect and prevent instead of waiting till your eyes are bumpy and bloodshot like mine :)

7. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    Thanks for the info....good to know.

O' and you too, poster of seaspec link.

8. GreenFlash35

GreenFlash35 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Eye Condoms

Seaspecs will fall of on a gnarly wipe out. And they only kind of float. So don't get the white ones you won't be able to find them in the soup. i wear the yellow one with an additional key float attached.

9. Jrusso

Jrusso Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2007
    i have the same eye problems. wish i knew what was happening before it got to where it is now.

started wearing sea specs myself, and have a patagonia brimmed hat in the mail, goofy, yes, but i would much rather look goofy in front of a couple of guys then have bloodshot eyes in more social atmospheres later that day.

the seaspecs are ok, but if you look on the site at their construction, the rubber part fits over a plastic piece and is not secured well. i had it fall apart once and lost a pair. if this concerns you, maybe throw some duct tape on it too.

IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT "SURFERS EYE" IS LOOK IT UP. for your own sake and your children's sake. if you are an avid surfer its not a question of if you get it but when. maybe when your 30, maybe 60, but it'll happen. protect your eyes cause its not fun

10. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
  11. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
  12. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
  13. oipaul

oipaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    you don't want pterygium, my wife is an eye doc and has to cut them out regularly. I've worn the sea specs and they do fall off if you wipe out, I tried to remember to grab them before I hit an went under.

14. sozohealer

sozohealer Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I have been wearing Silverfish "S rat":( http://www.silverfish.com/sunglasses/E.html ) glasses for 6 years. They come with strap and leash. Pricey, but I require Rx. They do tend to fog when water is much colder than air, nose piece comes with them to extend frames out a little from the face to help counteract fogging. Also taking a wave head on tends to push them down over the nose. Tend to just get use to water drops as trade off for the lack of eye strain from the am. sun. Have never "lost" them due to wipeouts.

15. Pursuitofhappiness

Pursuitofhappiness Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I have a pair of prescription Silverfish Whistlers and really like them. They're not goggles, but sunglasses designed for watersports. Haven't had a fogging problem as of yet. There's plenty of air circulation around them. Waterspots, yes. Thinking of using a RainX wipe to see how that works. After much research, went with non-polarized. It seems having some glare is to your wave-reading advantage. I also wear a hat otherwise there is glare on the inside of the lenses.

16. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    I use an old pair of glasses and run string thru rashguard.

17. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I just bought 4 pair of TYR Aqua shields for 33 bucks shipped on Ebay. They list for 49.00. Worth a try at that price.

18. raven

raven Member

Mar 21, 2010
  19. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    i was in CA for a bit and had this problem every afternoon. staring into the sun. ppl that live there/surf a lot must have some serious issues