To surf alone.....

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by yourdirtymomma, May 8, 2012.

Do you like to surf alone?

1. Yes!

58.7%
  2. Sometimes

27.9%
  3. Only if I have to.

12.2%
  4. No! Sharks!

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I did like surfing alone... then I moved to Jacksonville Fl last week... there is no such thing as surfing alone here... sheesh!!!!!!...but the waves were 2-4ish and clean today

2. Hack N Shack

Hack N Shack Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    are you even going to seriously ask this? yes i would much rather surf with your kook ass then by my self.

3. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    since all of my friends who surf are in colleges out of state, i surf alone almost all year round. It's nice to be alone with my thoughts and if i want to talk to people i just do it out in the lineup. it's nice to meet new people who think mostly the same way you do.

4. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    surfing alone is like therapy to me. if the world is pissing me off i like to find an empty break and just relax in the water. i feel a million times better once im out. surfing is my therapy. I do enjoy surfing with friends however though. i have a friend from school i surf with on a weekly basis and we both have a blast surfing together even on the worst of days. besides, surfing with a friend reduces your chances of a shark attack by 50%!

5. surfbum

surfbum Member

Oct 1, 2011
    i like the comraderie of surfing with a buddy or two, esp if its a road trip to an awesome break. i usually surf alone though and havnt surfed with a friend other than the people that were already in the line up since last september. like someone else said,i also tend to move down the beach a bit to an area where it may not be breaking as good just to avoid the typical kooks. im not anti-social but surfing solo is my zen and my way to detach myself from life and the world.

6. gruvi

gruvi Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I have to surf with my crew. Period. End.

7. pyroarchy

pyroarchy Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    1 is the loneliest numbeeeerr.... XD

8. REDDZ

REDDZ Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Surfing alone is great therapy. You can really connect back with nature. Surfing with buddies is also super cool.
    Coming out of a barrel to see a fist pumping, hooting friend who's paddling back out is priceless... not to mention the huge cutback you throw in his/her face.

9. pupp

pupp New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    would rather surf a crappier break alone then a good break with crowd.

10. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Exactly, those sticks hurt. Better safe than dead.

First choice is with a buddy. Keeps you safe, and in check so the 3-foot head dip doesn't become a 30 second barrel! Solo is a rarity these days, so I'll enjoy them too, when I can.

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Me too... for the most part. If there's a solid swell, it's gonna be good at a bunch of spots. Might as well find a spot to have to yourself, or as close to it as possible. If it's crappy, it's crappy, and really doesn't matter, so might as well go out where there's nobody and pick off all of the decent ones for yourself.

Ever drive up to your spot and see who's truck is parked in the lot and say, "F that. I hate surfing with that guy. I'm going somewhere else." ? Or the opposite... you see who's parked in the lot and go, "cool... all the bros are here. This should be fun!"

12. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Yup... if its D!ckface Mcgee and company I'll go somewhere else but even if I'm leaving and friends show up to surf I'm inclined to get back in the water for a second sesh... The right kind of company makes all the difference.

13. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I bring my boyfriends (minimum of 2) to the line up with me. And we make sure that even the farthest guy out can hear us when we talk ;)

14. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Stranded, where are you surfing in Jax?

15. yourdirtymomma

yourdirtymomma Well-Known Member

May 2, 2012
    Very nice.....thanks for the share.

16. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    I understand.....the less clear the water, the more creepy it is....but I say a little prayer and don't let it stop me.

17. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    LMAO! Really?! Well you are more than welcome to come spend time watching me eat it, between your rides.

I have a buddy I nicknamed "Sc-air-dee Dave"......He a great surfer, but will NOT go out alone. Somehow he feels safer with my kook ass "on the target" too. :)

18. ZBass

ZBass Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Surfing alone is more of an escape from the everyday grind than surfing with a friend or group of surfers.

19. JaimeL

JaimeL Active Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Surf alone

On my last trip to El Centro, I had K59 by myself for about 2 hours in the morning perfect and I couldn't believe it. Then it was just me and Jimmy until some Brazilians showed up in a pack of 10. But, I was a little sketched out at Mizata alone especially my first session there. Dawn Patrol is the key, though. Doubt you'll ever get Zunzal or Punta Roca alone.

20. 15stwr

15stwr Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    there is not much finer than a solitary dawn patrol with a new swell showing, knowing you are the first one on it. those first couple of waves before the crowds show, watching the sun rise, are the most cathartic.