Whats your commute and how often do you get in the water?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Shipwreck, May 21, 2012.

1. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I wasn't aware that you need waves to surf?

I should have said on average, but regardless there is usually something to ride somewhere. This is the east coast, if you are nit picky on what your riding then your in the wrong place.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    15 Mins......End of this year it'll be out the door and on the beach. Mostly just weekends during spring,summer and fall unless I get a rain day. I work Dark to dark....I dont work during the winter so I go every day there is surf.

3. sponger72

sponger72 Member

Oct 8, 2011
    3 hours, during the winter months Ill go 2x a month. During the summer time maybe once a month.

4. idsmashh

idsmashh Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I'm in NJ. It's like an hour to my normal break. If the winds are coming hard from the north I'll head to Ocean City which is like 1.5 hours. I work 3:00-11:30 so I can go on dawn patrolls every day (waves permitting). I normally catch every clean swell waist high or over, which is (give or take) about twice a week.

5. atmcracer

atmcracer Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2008
    i live in vt now ride in nj so a few times a year but make the most of itwhile im down

used to live block and half from beach but ski racing got the best of me

6. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    when im at school its a depressing 2 hour ride to my local break. during the summer its a 5 minute bike ride. during school this year for a majority of the fall/winter i was getting in the water at least once a week. now that im home i get in every day regardless of how crappy it is

7. knolleo

knolleo Member

May 29, 2012
    I live in Ridgewood Queens NY I take two buses to get to Rockaway beach its about a 45 mins to 1 hour ride depending on traffic

8. usmcchristian12

usmcchristian12 Active Member

Apr 3, 2012
  9. nanook

nanook Member

Sep 7, 2011
    About three and a half hours for me. I try to go at least twice a month. Sometimes more or less depending on other stuff I have going on.

10. gdavid

gdavid New Member

Jun 5, 2012
    On the regular place I surf, it is just a 20 minute drive coming from my place and I frequent that twice a week.

But there is this newly discovered, or at least a couple of my friends and I, which is a little more than 3 hours in drive and I try to go there at least once in a month.

Like what others would probably be thinking, it is something that would be just right to get to, even with a huge amount of time in tow.

11. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Hey gdavid - I see you're from Honduras. Have you ever surfed Cabo Gracias a Dios - the prominent point on the border with Nicaragua? Looks like it might get good out there - but impossible to get to?

12. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    From the house, I'm 3.7 miles to work and 1.3 miles to the ocean. You would think the combination would result in much more time in the water than it does. I'm still lucky as sh!t though.

13. ritecoastsurfer3

ritecoastsurfer3 Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2007
    I can see the ocean from the top of my house. In the fall and spring half of my 20 minute commute to work is done on the beach when the fish are in. I am spoiled, but life messes with me in other ways to balance it out. I surf every swell that is good, but am liking the dead of winter less and less each year.

14. richp12

richp12 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    5 minute drive 15 minute bike ride uphill on the way home

15. RonnieO

RonnieO Member

Jun 8, 2012
    When I'm not upstate at school during the summer, it's a 5 minute commute by car to Smiths Point. Can't really ask for anything better than that. And I usually get in 4-5 sessions a week, depending on the swell...we all know how that's been lately.

Over the last two years though I've also been solid at surfing here during my winter and thanksgiving break too - kind of making it a tradition with local friends going out on turkey day morning. Can't beat that.

16. rlghdude

rlghdude Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    I like this person

17. rlghdude

rlghdude Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    In all honesty ive had the wife, house in the burbs, school (bach degree in engineering), good job, and none of it even remotely compares to the thrill that surfing gives me. Call me a selfish person, call me an addict, call me whatever you like but give me overhead glass, my 6'3" thruster and I will sleep in my car and eat peanuts for 7 straight days if I have to.

18. Surferdann

Surferdann Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Got a 15-20 minute commute; The number of times I get out each week depends on the season, conditions and work schedule. Usually once or twice a week but haven't been out for about 3 months and probably will not be out for another 2 or 3...stupid shoulder surgery!!!

19. fallingsky

fallingsky Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Sorry that place sucks too ever since they redid the jety.