Board Repair - Type of Foam

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by JeepThrower70, Jun 10, 2012.

1. JeepThrower70

JeepThrower70 Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I have a 9'6\" Robert August Summer Classic that I've had hanging my wall which took quite a beating in my beginning years. Having enjoyed my time on that board i'd like to repair it rather then take it to a shop or buy a new one. In attempting the repair I need to know what type of foam lies inside for the deeper of the damaged pieces. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could maybe educate me on what lies inside.

2. Doomswell

Doomswell Active Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Is an epoxy or poly board?

3. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    if the foam on the inside looks like circular beads pushed together than it is EPS, if the foam looks like tiny specs of dust smashed together than it is PU, if you want to be safe use epoxy, it works on both, but it is a tad bit more pricey. but the plus side is no VOC!, or gasoline odor! which is always a plus. hope this helps.

4. Roots Surfcraft

Roots Surfcraft New Member

Jun 10, 2012
    I am going to say there is a 99% chance that it is a poly board. Unless it looks like its painted, then its a surftech.
    Fix it with polyester resin, you will be fine. Make sure you get enough cloth to cover all the dings.:)

5. Masterjasson

Masterjasson Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    I've used bondo before, and had good luck with it. Not much to look at, but it worked. Not saying I'd patch a Robert August with it, just something to keep in mind for an old beater that needs a quick fix.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. dbslim

dbslim Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    PU blank, polyester resin.