Sleep in car? Camp for cheap?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Wattss, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Wattss

Wattss Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Hey guys.. So I recently discovered that it's not as easy to camp at a campsite as I thought it was going to be. Everything is booked...at aesateague at least...

I just want to be able to go to the beach for 2-3 days at a time, camp somewhere for super cheap/nothing... and have a a place to shower/use a toilet. I'm actually open to sleeping in my car if there is a public restroom nearby, and I know I wont be bothered by the cops.. obviously last resort..but it beats driving 3 hrs back home..

2. Etl1692

Etl1692 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Camp Frisco in OBX... I have stayed there aint bad

3. Wattss

Wattss Member

Jun 1, 2012
    OBX is too far

4. kielsun

kielsun Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I've slept in my station wagon on a couple of occasions recently near Assateague and one time in Cape May, NJ. Be smart about it and as inconspicuous as possible and you'll be fine. High season might be tougher...

5. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    would it be possible to enter the camp site and find a spot to park within the camp site and sleep covered up? act as if you decided to sleep in the car due to bugs or whatever the excuse?

6. HD4

HD4 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Agreed stayed there many a time in th cabins and tents. Showers bath

7. kookdog

kookdog Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Wal mart's everywhere are pretty considerate , just keep a low profile. Food, bathrooms, supplies, and they are everywhere.

8. Wattss

Wattss Member

Jun 1, 2012
    ohh nice! Good idea! Thanks!

9. kgsurf

kgsurf Member

May 20, 2012
    you can sleep in your car in mcdonalds parking lots and there is always one nearby. a buddy and i did that all the way down the 101 years ago. its not that bad and when you wake up you can go get some hash browns and a coffee before you hit the waves. they don't have showers but you can always take a hippy bath and just wash up in the sink

10. Wattss

Wattss Member

Jun 1, 2012
    So I just did some more reading, and it's actually illegal to sleep in your car in OC :/

11. pyroarchy

pyroarchy Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    Haters gonna hate. Just say your car is broken down and your waiting on your private tow-truck to come get you....and magically the car starts up in the A.M. :cool:

12. offshore

offshore Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    ^+1 Gets the people off your back because you have "help" on the way.

13. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    No OC overnight, they'll bust you. Assateague might work, Frisco is awesome. If you go late and leave early just tell em you were just in there for a surf check. (site B12 is the best)

14. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    I think Treasure Beach in Fenwick still allows tent camping.

15. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Last time I camped assateague, I met a dude that sleeps there every night without paying. We woke up and he was sleeping under our picnic table, he said he figured it would be cool cause he saw our boards. I guess he just hid all day and showed up late night. pretty wild

16. Don Ride

Don Ride Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Another option

You might try tactfull asking someone camping by themselves, or other surfers camping if they would mind sharing their site, saves you both money.

17. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    did this in cali and found out the hard way that **** books up way, way in advance. if you drive through campsites you're bound to find one that someone didn't show up to. sneak it for the night and bail early.

18. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I have ran into the same problem in the past. There are a few small camps around that might not be as crowded- i stayed here and it was sweet! Toms Campgrounds http://www.tomscovepark.com/

19. Robynmemphis

Robynmemphis New Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Down at assatesgue we slept in the back of our truck. Camping is hard. When will you be down next?

20. lalit

lalit Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    camping at assateque this time of year can be a drag anyway as the mosquitos are unthinkable (it might be different if you are on one of the beachside campsites) I camped there about 3 years ago and could not even go out of the tent or car. i actually don't get biten much either and am generally not sqeemish about bugs.

not that it helps but in the northwest they are really cool about sleeping in your car at reststops. i travelled around to a bunch of skateparks in Oragon and Washington state and slept at rest stops and cooked on a camping stove. I wish the east coast was a little more chill about it.