need help

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by mikeyv, Jul 7, 2012.

1. mikeyv

mikeyv New Member

Jul 7, 2012
    43yo, just bought the bic super magnum! total beginner, 2nd beach in r.i. has knee high waves sunday am! is it worth the hr ride? should i be out there anyway gaining board x-perience? not trying to sound stupid but ive always dreamed of surfing,now im going after it! any advise is appreciated! thanks mike

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006

3. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    yeah one of the cams updates once an hour for newport, unless you pay for a cam membership. If the super magnum is super big and it is foretasted for clean knee high you may be able to get some experience on them. itll prob be fun considering how muggy it was today/prob tomorrow. I dont bother driving the 35/40 minutes to the spots I surf unless it is waist/stomach and clean or stomach plus but I have been surfing for ten years.

just checked the forecast and its looking really small tomorrow man... 2 ft at 6 secs

4. vilanosurfer218

vilanosurfer218 Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Go at low, incoming tide and you should be able to find some rideable waves. As a beginner, it will definitely help speed the learning process up getting out there as much as possible. If you can make it out Thursday the swells supposed to pick up. I think I'm gonna give Montauk a try Thursday being on long island with some family.

5. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    "I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    :)
    wb yeats

6. arby

arby Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    i think first beach might be a better bet for beginning b/c of less people out there over second. Seaweed there can be gross though. I still go there b/c its usually pretty empty. Forecast is supposed to get better later in the week so plan to call in sick, that's what i'm doing

7. ocsurf21

ocsurf21 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    get in the water as much as possible. take advantage of every wave and try and progress. you will be doing airs in no time

8. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I don't know anything about where you're surfing but I know that the best thing for a new surfer to do is to paddle, paddle and paddle some more. You'll pop up and flail on the board a couple times but you won't catch waves until your paddling power and balance on your stomach on the board are improved. You spend 88.364% of your time on your stomach so get used to it.