Do you surf after a rain?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by clintopher, Jul 21, 2012.

1. clintopher

clintopher Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Just wondering. If so, why and where? If not, why and where?

2. a2tall

a2tall Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    yes, but i now have an ear infection from it

3. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
  4. Ryan7

Ryan7 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

the water was nasty out there today. A few gems to be had, but mostly overhead slop, which is fun when you're in 75 degree water. But yes, waiting for that potential infection to come on after today's sess is not fun, but so far, no signs of it.

[​IMG]

Now I know why your local shapers deserve every penny they ask for with ordering a custom board. Trying my hand at it tonight, designing my own board in my basement. Andrew and Brian down at GreenLight have been more than helpful with offering tips during the process when I ask.

Looking forward to an offshore DP in 5 hours to wash off all this foam dust :cool:

Ryan

5. surftb15

surftb15 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Cool pics. Was a washing machine today, tomorrow AM looks good. I am pretty drunk, to get up or not?

6. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Before, during and after........my area doesnt have issues like many places with lots of runoff. If there is some that I'm not aware of it's never affected me with any medical issues.

7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Of course... what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

8. ocsurf32

ocsurf32 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    I only surf after a rain

9. cjswee

cjswee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2008
    No way...

....the water is too slippery after a rain. If you're worried about infections i'm sure you can dry out your ear and there has to be some over the counter medicine for swimmers ear you could apply after being in the water as a precaution.

Some info:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/swimmers_ear/article_em.htm

10. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    WB and North, yes. KB, CB maybe. Ft. Fisher through Oak Island..... HELL NO!

11. Salerno

Salerno New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Surfing after a heavy rain.

Surfing after a heavy rain does present a potential water qaulity problem in certain areas. Breaks near inlets or rivers that access the ocean are much more susceptible to toxic runoff, particularly if they are in densely populated or industrial communities. A couple of things to consider are tide and current. If you are south of an inlet with an incoming tide, and the current is running north, there a much less chance of runoff at that break, at least until the tide changes. A good practice is to fresh water shower as soon as possible after coming out of the ocean, flushing out your ears, nostrils and even your eyes, as these are all avenues for bacteria to enter the body. Immediately afterwards, flush your ears with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and alcohol drops which you can make yourself and keep in your surf pack. There are also anti-bacterial eye drops available over the counter at most drug stores. No guarantees, but this practice will significantly lessen the likelihood of health problems as a result of surfing in areas affected by runoff, and you can enjoy that post rainstorm glass-off that often follows after a storm moves through. Mahalo.

12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    some of the best surf can be right after a storm! you just gotta keep your head above the water... and use the netti pot if the water stinks. clean out the ears with 50:50 vinegar:hydrogen prox if you think your contaminated. then go back in and surf some more. I would not stay out of the water due to rain.

now... if there are sardines jumping out of the water, all over the place in the line up... well then... that might be an issue...

13. surfrr

surfrr Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    2 words....Neti Pot

oops I see that this has been covered already

14. SkegLegs

SkegLegs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    It is hardly an issue on a majority of the east coast, as most runoff hits large rivers / inland bay marshes before going into the ocean. Dillution takes care of a majority of what is picked up. The exception being surfing near a direct discharge point, like a storm drain put directly into the ocean.

The mountainous coast out west works differently, rain is uncommon, so when it does rain, it quickly washes down river valleys picking up everything and flushing it into the ocean. That's why in many places you can't surf for a few days after a rain event out there. The water is loaded with everything.

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds about right, however there are several beaches that have recently put up signs for bacteria here in FL, but this wasn't until just recently after Debbie came through. I've gotten a little sick surfing during / after a rain, but nothing too serious, but i do realize the risk, i just don't care

16. coach

coach Active Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Never gave it a second thought, if the surf is up i'm on it! Surfs Up!

17. donalddemon

donalddemon Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Every chance I get. Sometimes the wind grooms perfectly offshore immediately during or after the rain comes. I get a lot of ear infections but I can't say I have attributed one to surfing after rain? (might need to think more about that next time)

18. Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool

Earl of Funk/Duke of Cool Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Depends upon how big the storm wuz. Remember surfing during/after Irene?? Coffee-colored nastiness. Wouldn't a missed it for the world though...

19. surf05

surf05 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    i thought i was good after surfing all weekend until i realized last night that the sinus infection i already had, had gotten much worse. i still think there's salt water up there. when i shake my head i can hear it, does anyone know how to get it out?

20. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Nasal spray could open it up, Astepro i think is one them, I get that from the Doc every now and then when mine get clogged