What would you do???

Discussion in 'USA Mainland Surf Forum' started by gansett09, Aug 2, 2012.

1. purpleheadedyogurtslinger

purpleheadedyogurtslinger Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
  2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

Can't get much better than this. As others have said there may come a point where you have to back it up or back down and run away. that's your call.

3. brandx

brandx Well-Known Member

May 6, 2008
    Take off deeper and push em off the wave Sunny Garcia style

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I prefer the old "leash snag" for repeat offenders. Never have come to blows with anyone.... yet.

5. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    sitting in front of them works wonders too. they spin around and there you are.

6. coach

coach Active Member

Jul 4, 2012
    If he is on a soft top he is a kook!!!! Get you and your buds to double team him if he is persitent. One can block while other rides. Have a nice chat with him in the parking lot. Go home and get more shortboarders and even it out. Surfs Up!

7. Sloop John B.

Sloop John B. Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    You're an idiot . . .

This seems to be a common sentiment but I really don't understand what exactly you think makes this true . . .

8. pvjumper05

pvjumper05 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2008
    i hate that. ill be sitting in my spot and a longboarder will come over after seeing the sandbar going off. but he will sit 10-15 feet farther out where i am sitting. i literally cant do anything about them sitting there because i will always end up dropping in on them. but the worst part is that they continually go right back to their spot and pretend like they havent gotten a wave yet

so obnoxious

9. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    most likely because almost every soft top rider is a beginner since experienced surfers have enough confidence to ride a standard board.

10. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    i've seen really good surfers ride soft tops before. idk why but if you're riding a soft top you're either learning, or you rip

11. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    sometimes you find yourself far from your preferred board and you have to rent/borrow/do whatever it takes to paddle out. experienced surfers have enough confidence to ride anything.

12. Pursuitofhappiness

Pursuitofhappiness Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Your last line says it all. This "softtop" bashing is quite amusing. Seems to be an east coast thing. Doesn't matter what you ride, but rather how well and how much fun you're having. Love my softtop because it makes lemonade out of lemons with summer east coast waves. Don't know where the original poster was surfing, but I was out that evening....on my softtop. There was one guy out on a shortboard and he left because he wasn't catching anything.

Share waves without judgment and surf with aloha.

13. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Today, I saw a "soft top" SUP. I was so pissed.

14. blasteroid

blasteroid Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Didnt I see Jamie O'brien rip solid pipeline on a soft top? It was funny. Not what you ride but how you ride it.

15. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Just like baseball, "There's no crying in surfing!"

16. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
  17. havanasand

havanasand Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Such is life. People will take advantage of any situation regardless of the circumstances if there are no consequences. Best to adapt to the situation and either make a stand or go somewhere else and surf. Human nature and the greed associated with it isn't going to change.

18. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    i'm pretty sure Jamie O rode the soft top as a joke.

19. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ... or out of boredom.

20. coach

coach Active Member

Jul 4, 2012
    So Sloop John B. does this mean you ride a soft top? I have been called an idiot before in and out of the water. But I can surf !!!and at this age in my life I have made some fairly good obsevations. If you read my thread again you will see it is filled with sarcasim. Hey being from Long Island do you know who was one of the first surfers to bring surfing to L. I. Surfs up!!