Cape Cod and Great Whites...

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by MFitz73, Jul 9, 2012.

1. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    In a different world humans should be hunting at least some gw sharks. Now no gw sharks get hunted, I hope we don't see ramifications from having too many gws.

2. Sloop John B.

Sloop John B. Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Are we seriously talking about culling sharks here?

If you want to cull sharks because they occasionally kill a person, go **** yourself. The ocean is where they live, and going in there is a calculated risk YOU take. If you can't handle that risk then don't go in the ocean. Don't kill K-selected apex predators because of your ridiculous fear. Whether you like it or not, that DOES have ecological implications.

If you wanna go **** around in the ocean looking like a seal, that's your problem. It's my problem too, but at least I realize that and don't pin it on the sharks.

3. endless_strummer

endless_strummer Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Guys guys guys, this argument is pointless. We all know GW sharks can never be eradicated as long as they have the power of time travel... And frickin' lasers!

4. somuchsurf

somuchsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Thank You!

5. surfergirl666

surfergirl666 New Member

Aug 22, 2012
    I was in the Buzzards Bay Regatta this year it was out of Marion Ma while I was out there I saw a very large Great White Shark it had to be alst close t 20 or more feet it was a danda shark I love and have respect for sharks people should live them alone they are in there own home we are the ones that we invade there home that is why there is alot of human attacks from sharks

6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Hey nutbag! aka "shark hunter" - - with 70 million sharks getting wiped out every year, with certain shark species at the tipping point of extinction & with less than 30 human fatalities per year by all sharks, it's pretty clear who is winning the species wars.

Get real: you're not an authority on the subject of sharks; you're just another opinionated & extremely selfish ignorant arrogant human - - extremely ignorant, extremely arrogant - - who has the ability to cut & paste ignorant rants about sharks & conservation.

When, perhaps someday, you have an original thought, share it with someone who cares. That wouldn't be here.

7. RhodyPedro

RhodyPedro Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I'm hoping the sharks will keep some of the summer tourists out of the water. Let them come and spend their money but stay on the beach.

8. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    you know, you can reduce that number by 1 with suicide...

don't cull the sharks, cull the seals.

9. coldatlanticsea

coldatlanticsea Active Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Are you legitimately retarded? If not, you are one of the most ignorant pieces of excrement I've encountered online and that is a dubious distinction. At the very least you are in dire need of an elementary level education.You seriously suck as a person. Go **** yourself.

10. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    There will be more attacks this year. The surf will start picking up there will be more and more days with surfers out. And next year, as the shark #'s grow, there will be more than this year... Cape Cod will have a solid GW population for years to come... The sharks are protected as well as the seals. With no natural enemies and an unlimited food source, they will flourish.... Surfers just have to get used to it and be more aware of their surroundings.

11. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Glad to see some shark sympathy, thank you guys. Idk how anybody could say with certainty that the GW population or any other species is stable...pretty retarded, most data I've encountered implies otherwise, and then you have to factor in shark finning. As a former commercial fisherman, my blood boils when I see footage of that happening, and I would happily fillet anybody who can cut a sharks fins off and throw it back in the water alive. Shark attacks are an inherent risk involved in what we do, accept it or GTF out of the water! Besides, death by shark attack isn't the worst thing that could happen, guarenteed seat in Valhalla IMO, beats dying of cancer.

12. holyokesurfer

holyokesurfer Member

Feb 26, 2012
    The seal population has increased by huge amounts in the past years and is the reason sharks are there. GWs are attracted there because the water temperatures are ideal for the seals Cape Cod and so the GWs will stay there. It is unlikely that they will travel south to NJ to feed because the seals dont like the warmer water temps. It is only a matter of time that a surfer or swimmer will get attacked by a GW but it has been proven that GWs are non agressive creatures and won't intentionally attack a human. All the advice I can give is that when the lineups are empty and the waves are perfect sharks are probably present.

13. BloodOfThor

BloodOfThor Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I live on the Cape. There's no sharks.

14. winslow

winslow Active Member

May 22, 2010
    true .

15. BloodOfThor

BloodOfThor Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Jellyfish however. I got owned last weekend wakeboarding.

16. VineyardSurfer

VineyardSurfer Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Everyone says save the sharks, but the moment someone gets bitten everyone is gonna be freaking out. Its not the sharks fault. The problem is we let their food source get way to close to home. I have grown up on the Vineyard my whole life and I can personally attest to the explosion of the seal population. Anyone been out to No Mans Island recently? The beach over their is packed with 100's of seal at a time. Its a common occurrence to share the lineup with at least 10 seals on any given day at my home break. My dad says that back in the day you used to hardly ever see seals. And guess what? Fish stocks were higher, and great white sighting were far fewer. So why not cull some seals? But that is just me. I'm fine sharing the lineup with a few less kooks worried about white sharks. haha

17. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I'm in MA for the week, and there are more seals in the water this year than I've ever seen. And they seem to be more comfortable getting closer to humans, too. Twice in the past two days I've had a seal within 15 feet from me. It used to be you'd see a head pop up outside, but now the're right in the lineup and in the waves. I've not seen a shark.

18. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    “The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.”
    ― Horace Walpole

With the "facts" that the internet gives us, it's easy to show "evidence" for our emotional response. Conservation efforts are generally emotionally-based. From saving sharks to recycling, most people truly don't know what level of impact the percieved threat really exists, but it makes them feel better to do (or post) something that makes them believe they're helping, regardless of the impact of their action.

I've been to number of other countries that don't outlaw or enforce environmental or wildlife conservation efforts. Globally, their impact is so vastly negative over ours, it makes our laws comical. Don't get me wrong...I'm all about putting trash in it's place, not wasting resources and preventing the sensless killing of animals, but some people just go overboard.

Just my 2 cents.

19. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    The only overboard thoughts I've seen in this thread are those suggesting that attempts at culling the shark population are reasonable and the statement that "the only good shark is a dead shark"...

20. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Don't forget people claiming to "happily fillet anybody who can cut a sharks fins off and throw it back in the water alive." I'm pretty sure someone who would (a) actually do it and (b) take joy in doing so would be someone that's a touch overboard...among other things.