Sitting waaaay outside...

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by MFitz73, Sep 21, 2012.

1. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Last wednesday, took my longboard out to a spot thats really best for a longboard but most guys insist on taking thier shortboard out there.... I sat waaaay outside and just picked off whatever wave I wanted. long long lefts and uncontested rides.
    Now don't get me wrong I let plenty of waves run past me... and I only accounted for 1 wave of basically a 3 or 4 wave set...
    I could feel the angst building up in the guys on the inside.... but hey next, take the appropriate board and you'll have a better time.
    :cool:

2. follybeachpro

follybeachpro Member

Sep 14, 2012
    cool story bro..nobody cares

3. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    lol. yeah I know.

4. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    AND..... I will be cutting you off. The selfishness in the water lately is out of control. Prime example is this douch. Needless to say, keep paddling to the point and I will cut you off and hassle you unitl you get sick of it. There are plenty of waves for everyone....wait your turn you F*CK.

5. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    yo people who paddled out on shortboard didnt have a chance to even catch a wave that day. bring the right board next time.

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    It's tempting to pick off the best wave of every set when you have the equipment advantage. When I'm in that position, I try let a few SETS go by, instead of a few waves. Nobody gets pissed off, and I don't have that guilty conscience that drives me to make excuses for myself.

7. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    So you think a bigger board entitles you to paddle around people....WOW your a kook. All I have to say is, def don't do that B.S around me. You will be cut off time and time again. Non etiquette will not be tolorated!!!!

8. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Who was on that peak 1st?

9. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Kooks bring the wrong board.... usually shortboards when the waves call for something bigger.
    I never paddled around anyone. I sat out there, plenty of waves went bye... People were in paddle battles on the inside, while I easily paddled into perfect waves uncontested.

10. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying...

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds like you were 1st.... was this the only peak on the beach?

12. darippah

darippah Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    +1... I bring out my longboard so that I can get more waves on the days there arent many/arent many good waves

"Now don't get me wrong I let plenty of waves run past me"

sounds fair to me

13. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Hey guess what? If people could get along you can actually ride 2 people on one wave. If the situation allows I'm like "go for it, come on, catch it too. Lets have some FUN!" Thats what its all about anyway, having fun. Or thats how it used to be anyway. I ride a short board and do this all the time when the rides are long. Most surfers these days don't realize thats is about the FUN and joy of riding a wave. I think thats the problem.

14. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    there were def. some decent breaks up and down the beach but this one offered the best shot at getting a shoulder. Honestly I didnt see one person on a shortboard get a ride longer then the drop and a bottom turn. And the other guys on longboard who didnt sit outside where I was were not getting the shoulders either. you needed that early take off to make the section. I really felt like everyone else was just wasting thier time out there...

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Sounds about right, I use to get frustrated sitting on the inside with a shortboard on small days like this when that's all I had to ride. Having the proper equipment for the occassion has changed my surfing big time, and now I never show up unprepared. If it's the only stick you got, I get it, but don't expect much on these days, it's for loggers and SUP's, just like on DOH days you probably wouldn't take your log out or the SUP, the conditions dictate what I surf that day.

16. asharkinslacks

asharkinslacks Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2012
    what a worthless thread.

i smell squid...

17. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Yeah I have def. been one of these kooks that took the wrong board out. And maybe they arent really kooks but don't have any other board to bring. But Im not gonna be that guy anymore... the right board for the conditions is the messag here.

18. Retro

Retro Active Member

Oct 24, 2008
    love it. a few years back i wrote a similar thread about my frustration with prople thinking they own the break, catching wave after wave and paddling back outside everytime while others waited their turn. i got blasted in the thread by lots of folks telling me hey, that's the way it goes, outside man has priority, deal with it, etc... so guess what i did? i went out and bought a longboard. problem solved.

19. brek

brek Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2008
    So then you have no problem if a guy on a WaveJet or kayak shows up and sits out further than you and takes a wave every set?

20. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Then you got bad advice on here.

Sitting outside doesnt give you priority.

Nobody owns the break...even the person who got there first and thinks they have the right equipment and other have the wrong equipment.

" i went out and bought a longboard. problem solved." Actually it just sounds like you became PART OF of the problem.

Sorry...i really dont mean to sound harsh. But it is what it is.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012