winter surfing

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by skimdog, Sep 24, 2012.

1. skimdog

skimdog Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    So I have not done it yet but this winter I will. Any tips , experiences or advise is appreciated. (Thanks in advance for the shriveled balls jokes.) Thanks a lot.

2. Sinusitis

Sinusitis Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Get a full wet suit. You'll need it because of the temperatures. Believe it or not, California water gets very cold in winter(Personal Experience). Start out small, don't go to deep, slowly progress. Also, Know what to do in case you get sucked into a current(Swim sideways not against it) But most importantly have fun and try not to injure any people while you are!

3. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    dude, he's in MAINE! that gives cold a whole different meaning! buy a 6/5/4, my friend, & the thickest boots & gloves you can find. here in nj, i wear a 5/4 w/ 5mil boots (socks underneath), & 3mil gloves in the winter (i hate the way 5mil gloves, claws, & mitts feel). i also go straight home & into the shower when i get out. big help in warming back up & rinsing the suit for next time...but i'm lucky enough to live w/in biking distance of my favorite break. i know some guys who live further inland carry insulated jugs of hot water w/ them for the same purpose. winter surfing in the northeast is about keeping warm...water temps in the mid-upper 30's, air temps the same or colder...it's not 4/3 w/ boots cold, it's COLD.

4. MDSurfer

MDSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2006
    You might also want to invest in an ice axe.

5. ughVeeBee

ughVeeBee Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Get one of those garden sprayer jugs, preferably the 2 gal. Fill it with the hottest tap water you can. Just before you get into the water, use the wand to fill your boots and gloves. And then stick it down the neck of your suit and make sure you fill up top to bottom pretty good. This should keep you warm for quite awhile, especially with thicker suits. Even works OK sticking the wand into your hood, target the top and back of your head. Only use like half, then repeat with whatever's left when you get out. It won't be as warm anymore but it'll be a helluva lot warmer than what you just got out from. You can stew in it a little while until you warm up enough to crawl out of your suit with your fingers still working.

I actually cut a leg from an old suit and slid the jug into it to keep it warmer a little longer.

6. Scbe

Scbe Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    I wrap two 1 gal. cranberry juice jugs filled with very hot water in my wetsuit on the way out (45 min) and wrap them in my clothes as I change into the wetsuit. I pour them down the wetsuit as I change after the surf. Wish I had a hot shower or tub within a mile of the beach. I also have a heavy rash gard that I wear under the 6/5 if it is in the 30's. If I'm likely to get pounded paddling out I may surf another day. Watch the air temp as much as the water temp. Clean uncrowded conditions await you but avoid going alone. It is so worth it!

7. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I put hot water jugs wrapped in fleece blanket inside a cooler. Stays hot for a while. Nice to have when you get out. Also get really good gloves and boots. Those new "dipped" kind look interesting.

8. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Hypothermia is as silent and sneaky as carbon monoxide asphyxiation. Pay very close attention to your motor functions and especially your speech. Slurring words = get out and get warm.

I would look into a heated vest in addition to the thick rubber. Warm core = good times!

9. surfislife

surfislife Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You need a good 6/5/4 suit,7 mil boots and 5 mil lobster claw gloves and you should be fine..Don't worry your fingers will still be numb when you get out, try to get a container with hot water to shower when you get out..

10. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    welcome to the thunderdome. 90% of your nonsurfing friends will think you are off your rocker when you suit up with snow on the ground. Just be prepared for that.

11. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    I have never used hot water at the beach in NY.....never really needed to. Just suit up and go. Make sure you have the cajones to take a dozen on the head.

12. 15stwr

15stwr Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    my advice is spend the extra $$s on a high quality suit like a xcel drylock or patagonia. in maine a 6/4 with an attached hood. 7 mil boots and gloves. and make sure that the suit fits well. buy a cheap or poor fitting suit and you will regret it when the water is in the 30s...

13. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Ya i second what surfsolo said. I've never used hot water, although it sounds like a good idea. I just suit up at home and don't take it off until I'm back home under a hot shower. I only have an excel 5/4 so it's pretty tough to get out there in january/february when the air is below freezing, but otherwise it's really not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I wear straight mittens instead of gloves with fingers and never have issues with cold hands. Also, i tend to go with the longboard more often than not just to keep my body out of the water.

The last thing I'll say is good for you for making the plunge. Winter surfing is epic and surfing year-round will really help your surfing progress.

By the way, I'm from mass so I can relate to the cold you're going to be dealing with a little better than the guys down in NY/NJ.

14. Bronze Whaler

Bronze Whaler Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  15. skimdog

Jul 2, 2012
    Nice one man

16. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Go out with friends, it makes cold water surfing much more fun.

17. skimdog

Jul 2, 2012
    Hey thanks a lot you guys great stuff so far.

18. skimdog

Jul 2, 2012
    right right

19. skimdog

Jul 2, 2012
    Good points.What is the best wetsuit I should buy that has the best balance of keeping me warm/ moderately easy to paddle against. Besides these 2 suits. Patagonia will shank my wallet but are they worth it? tx.

20. Bfsurfside4

Bfsurfside4 Active Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Yo dude, I'm from cape cod massachusetts, so I know what it's like. I've got a 6/5/4 with a hood, 7 mil boots, 5 mil gloves. This suit is well warm enough, but just make sure you do all the usual things, booties and gloves both tucked in well to your suit, hood snug, and when you duck dive, make sure you keep your head down so the minimum amount of water rushes into your suit. The suit is definitely warm enough, it's the wind that makes you cold, the water is actually your friend in this situation. Also, some people do vaseline on the face to put a layer between the skin and cold. If you do this, make sure you keep the vaseline off your wetsuit, as it's not good for the material. This'll be my third winter surfing, it's a blast dude, have a good time. Also, if there is a swell, definitely go out in the snow. It's fun as ****