Maldives quiver

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by surfbum21, Oct 2, 2012.

1. surfbum21

surfbum21 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2011
    I plan on making a trip out to the maldives sometime in May of 2013. However, my bigger wave board is gone now and money will be tight after the year of college. All i have left for this trip now is a 5'10 CI fred rubble and a custom 5'9 x 19 3/8" x 2 3/8". It has a single to double concave with some vee out the back but overall is a little wider in the nose and tail. Will these boards hold up and perform well or do you think they'll be too small and I'll need to get another board?

Thanks for your time everyone

2. Turrtle

Turrtle Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    What was your bigger wave board? Should be pumping then. How big can u surf the rubble?

3. surfbum21

Dec 31, 2011
    My other board was a CI rookie. I can ride the Fred rubble in the 2-3 ft overhead range.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  4. LegendJim

LegendJim Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    If you are staying up in the Male atoll those 2 boards should be fine, pushing it but fine. If you are heading to the southern atolls that pick up more swell you will need bigger boards.
    Are you doing a boat trip or staying at Pasta Point?

5. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    as mentioned, those 2 boards should be fine. when i went in august 2010, i took a 6'4" fort knox & a 6'6"x19 1/4"x2 5'8" wynn. i rode the fort knox nearly the whole time, until i put my elbow into the rail on the morning of our last day. there was one bigger day when i could've used a step up of some kind, though.
    you're gonna be stoked, though! it was such an amazing trip...wish i could go back!

6. surfbum21

Dec 31, 2011
    I'm really stoked for this trip. I've heard so many incredible things. I'll be surfing the male atolls and doing (hopefully) a two week charter boat. Although I think I'll be ok with these boards, I'm considering selling the fred rubble considering its nearly brand new and getting a Wynn done. I have a hard time with short boards because I want just a touch more volume and float. Really late drop-ins aren't me thing.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  7. Turrtle

Jul 5, 2012
    If you are only going to bring two you could bring your FR, a better wave board like the Rookie, semipro, dfr, deep six, or proton, and if you want to cram another in I would go with a step up. Something for a curvy wave. I am gearing up for my bali quiver as well at the same time. Got two boards at the glassers right now that are possible candidates.

8. i.goleft

i.goleft Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    I should be going in may too. Biggest board ill bring is a 5'7

9. Turrtle

Jul 5, 2012
    what shape lefty?

10. surfbum21

Dec 31, 2011
    yeah.. what shape? I'm really curious. I think i'm bringing my custom, i love it so much and I've used it in hollow head high to 1+ OH before then probably picking up another custom from wynn for the bigger days and selling the fred rubble.

11. Turrtle

Jul 5, 2012
    You got pics of your 5'9 bum?

12. surfbum21

Dec 31, 2011
    I have one picture of it from the bottom right before it was glassed. I designed it with the neckbeard in mind but with more performance characteristics too. IMG_0440.JPG

13. i.goleft

i.goleft Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    My 5'7 is similar to a lost rocket. I ride small boards so it is pretty much my step up. yo is this Mike?

14. Turrtle

Jul 5, 2012
    If 5'7 is your step up what's your DD? How tall/weight?

15. surfbum21

Dec 31, 2011
    Wait yeah.. I'm mike. How did you know? Haha. And who are you? Wait, is it Jay?

16. i.goleft

i.goleft Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Yeh man haha. I knew I seenthat board before plus the Maldives talk

17. surfbum21

Dec 31, 2011
    Haha this is too funny

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  18. SineQuaNon

SineQuaNon New Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Not trying to hijack the thread but...

I am traveling to the Maldives this summer and I am looking for advice on my quiver.

Right now I have:
    5'2" Mini Simmons - Thought I would bring it along just in case... might be a fun wave for it
    6'0 5/16 Shortboard - Squash tail - My everyday shortboard
    5'11 3/6 Coil Brand - Swallow tail

What board do i need to add? Should I leave the mini-simmons at home? Thanks for any advice.

19. PhiloSurfer

PhiloSurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Yes, ditch the mini-Simmons. Based on your other boards, I'd add a 6'3" round pin with a bit more rocker for the bigger stuff... (or maybe up o 6'6" if there is any real size in the forecast).

Have fun! Post pics when you return.

20. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    this. ditch the simmons, you'll never want it over there. add a round/rounded pin of some kind, either 6'1"-6"3" or a proper step up, 6'4"-6'6".