AT&T vs Verizon

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by JBBStoopidTerp, Aug 11, 2008.

1. JBBStoopidTerp

JBBStoopidTerp Member

May 13, 2008
    I know this is off topic for the site but there really isn't anything else to talk about besides complaining about Lake Atlantic...

My Verizon contract will be ending soon and I am really tempted to make the switch to AT&T so I can get the iphone (not to be trendy, bc I need a phone that can sync with an Apple- I HATE pc- Apple is easier to mix/edit film and music with). I am in Fenwick, DE now and go to school and UMD College Park so I am in Montgomery county, Frederick county, and DC a lot, plus OCMD, Fenwick, Dewey, and Rehoboth.

I guess I am looking for people who have ATT (and/or iPhone) to see how the service is in these areas.

And maybe also iPhone VS Verizon LG Dare.

2. iceybeatzjosh

iceybeatzjosh Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2007
    I have been waiting on verizon all day to come and set up fios...

3. aczaplicki

aczaplicki Well-Known Member

May 10, 2008
    I used to have ATT, but the service sucked. I switched to Verizon and i have never not had service. As for the iphone vs Lg dare, surprisingly i have heard people are liking the dare more. Go to both stores and try the phones out for yourself. I guess it all comes down to user preference,

4. Prey4Surf

Prey4Surf Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Verizon service >>>>>>>>> AT&T.

I have a BlackBerry 8830. It's an awesome phone. Just picked it up a few weeks ago. Maybe you would want to give the BBs a look, but do your research and make sure they interface with macs, I'm sure they will.

As for the IPhone, from personal experience, they aren't all that great. They are nice, beautiful interface. The email updates slowly, every 20 minutes or so, web browser is nice, but so is the BBs, the touchscreen works well for everything except the keyboard that pops up.

Also battery life is just plain crap. If you use it during the day for anything other than being turned off, the battery takes a dump in about 6-8 hours. Worse if you play videos or listen to music, or god forbid check emails/surf the web.

I'm not an Apple fan by any stretch, but I gave the IPhone a fair shake, as did many people I know. Many of them say its basically a toy and if you want real usage, productivity out of it, all of them, save one person has gone back to BBerry. I tend to agree with them.

IPhone is riding the hype train into Craptown Station. Do you want to board that train?

5. Jettylife521

Jettylife521 Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Well said...

I have the Verizon LG Voyager and ITS GREAT!!! Good battery life and same applications as the iPhone...plus a QWERTY keyboard and I never not had service with it.

6. jnash

jnash Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Verizon is the best cell phone service on Delmarva hands down. I went for hardware over service when it came to getting satellite radio and regretted it from day one. Make your decision based on service and let technology catch up.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  7. ripper4184

ripper4184 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2007
    i work for verizon wireless

hey man, i would hook u up if u were from around here. Anyway, we lost so many customers to the i phone, but so many of them have switched right back due to our better coverage and network. I'm not trying to rave or anything just stating facts. The LG dare is cool, but the interface on the i phone does blow it away. The i phone is definitely better then the dare, but blackberry's kick both their asses just like the other guy said. We're getting a touch blackberry in the near future, probably not til christmas time, so if your looking for something touch just wait.

8. JCus

JCus Member

Jun 19, 2008
    I am a former Verizon user that went to ATT for the first iPhone because I do everything on a Mac and I honestly love the iPhone and the fact that it made such simple improvements to things that were crap and people were just settling for, like threaded texting full HTML and simple interfaces.

The new 3g phone sucks though, everyone I have talked to has been very let down by the battery life, the fact that ATT says they have an expansive 3g network (they don't) and the fact that other 3g ATT phones get full service where the iPhone 3g gets none (the iPhone has a bad radio). Add that to the fact that if yo have the new one you are forced to pay more for the 3g service even if you don't live in a spot where ATT is lying about having it. Also the texting used to be bundled with the data plan, now you have to pay more for that. SO the phone is cheaper upfront but to get the same level of service I have with the older phone on this new one, it would cost me something like $700 over 2 years more than I am paying now.

I have ATT now and so does my GF who lives/works/goes to school in CP and the service there is OK at best in terms of bars on the phone but the call quality is ****, just like anywhere on ATT's network. It drops calls, it doesn't even make calls, it echos, it cuts out, it causes static, it gives one way connections. Plus even now that they have you locked into a contract with the 3g iPhone, you can't get the insurance on it ATT gives to every other phone they sell. The only place I remember being able to use my iPhone that

Now the only major downside to the actual phone and not the service provider is the touchscreen with no other dedicated buttons for calls. I can't tell you how many time my hand has hit the screen and called someone I didn't mean to call, this has been ok sometimes and a disaster at others. The other minor things are the lack of MMS, (its a multi-media phone with out video and picture messaging)...why is that? Also, no flash player, and the screen is very, very breakable.

I am actually going to go back to Verizon today, I am planing on doing the "test drive" of their stuff for 30 days and comparing the networks, I want to be totally sure that their network is a great as I remember before bagging the iPhone because it does make my Mac using life easier but I have had it with ATT, and I refuse to go to the new iPhone because for once Apple's 2nd generation product is far worse than the original. Stick with Verizon, you get the service you need vs. just a cool handheld product. If you want that, get an iPod touch, it has everything but the bad cell service and speakers in there.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  9. goin_retro

goin_retro Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Dude, its so worth the wait though. Fuel TV is on at my house 24/7. It takes them a while to install but they are really thorough.

10. aczaplicki

aczaplicki Well-Known Member

May 10, 2008
    Fios owns, i just got it

11. tbing

tbing Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Fuel TV is amazing.

Back to the topic of AT&T and Verizon. I can't help much for the DE area, but I live in NJ and have AT&T.

In NJ, I've always had service, then in MA where I got to school, I've also always had service. The same goes for Verizon though. Out of everyone I know, its about 50/50 Verizon/AT&T. No one complains about their service. Basically just pick a phone you like, whichever provider it is on and stick with it for two years :)

12. Chris Joyner

Chris Joyner Moderator

May 23, 2006

Did you use the 1st or 2nd generation iPhone? I would think the 3G network would make Gen2 much greater than Gen1 when it comes to speed of network.

I was a Cingular customer so now an AT&T and I live in DE. I have great service in all areas across DelMarVa.