Whats your Daily driver?

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Turrtle, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Turrtle

Turrtle Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    What have you been surfing on lately?
    What type of waves does it excel at?
    Dimensions?
    Fin Set up?
    What you like about it and what you don't.

2. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    5'10" 19"3/8 half moon tail shortboard made by brian wynn. almost hybrid fish looking, but super thin and loose. quad setup with stretch quads

3. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Lost motivator 510...

4. TylerSurf4life15

TylerSurf4life15 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2012
    a 6'3x18 3/4 x 2 3/8 for anything over chest high
    and a 5'10x20x2 1/2 fish for just junk and playing around.

5. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    here on the east coast, i don't think there is such a thing as a "daily driver". that being said, the boards i ride most frequently here in jersey are:

5'8" bing puck (quad)
    6'0" ci neckbeard (5 fin set up as a quad)
    6'3" wynn roundtail (5 fin set up as a quad)...this one is going to have to be cleaned up & retired for a bit in order to make it last until my honeymoon next year. so instead of riding this board, i'll be riding a
    6'4" roberts black thumb (thruster)

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Three boards in my quiver that get the most water time:

good waves... chest high to just overhead... 6'6 round tail thruster

small/mushy waves... waist to shoulder high... 6'0 fish

small and clean... knee to waist... 9'3 single fin noserider

On the biggest days of the year... head and a half to as big as it gets... 7'0 rounded pin thruster

7. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    6'2"x20.5"x2.5" Ashton squashtail thruster. its basically an 80's shape with more modern foils. the board works insane in anything from thigh high to head high. it gets a bit skittish when it gets overhead.

8. slowtwitch

slowtwitch Member

Jan 25, 2010
    5'4" FST Firewire Sweet Potato, FCS H2 quad fins...best board I've ever had for East Coast surf, & I've been surfing 20 years...having the right fin for the board makes a big difference as well.

9. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    variety is the spice of life. Unless the waves are of consequence I grab whatever I'm feelin. Fish, the six fo, a retro, whatever, I try to spread the love. Real waves I grab the pin tail 6'6 or gasp... the step up travel board 7'2 bushman

10. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    i grab my sweet potato (6'x23"x3") 99% of the time because VB waves are incredibly mushy. I think I will get a custom log here soon for those small knee-thigh winter peelers

11. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    6'6"x20x2.5 Rusty Pirahna Quad....love it.

12. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Man...you aint kidding! My wife and i have been taking fall trips to VB for almost 20 years now. Got lucky and timed this years with a 3-4 day swell about a week and a half ago. The sand bars really come and go dont they...last year about a month after Irene was really fun every spot was working and was rippable even thigh-waist high.

This year it seemed like the bars arent what they were, even at waist-stomach high the waves were mushy and hard to get into until you were right up on the inside, then tended to close out on the inside.

I might have surfed with you one morning..noticed a big dude on a white decked Firewire sweet potato..did you surf the first st. jetty one morning in some glassy leftovers while kids were doing tow-ats up the beach?

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Agreed... variety, my go-to lately has been my McTavish, but that's what the waves are calling for right now. I'm sure i'm going to be getting a lot more time on the WRV Fish here real soon though, and then hopefully this winter i'll pick up a true shorty and get back to where I use to be, on a 6'4" thruster. Looking at picking up a custom COIL, so hopefully things go as planned.

14. Tkelley

Tkelley Well-Known Member

May 7, 2012
    6'2" WRV Nugget thruster set up. I love this friken thing.

15. Waxer

Waxer Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I use my 9' Murray Ross (local shaper) with a mid size turbo fin up to about chest high. I have a 7s super fish for chest or bigger ( I know it's a pop out but I love it). I'm old, I've got good size quiver gathering dust in the garage because these 2 boards pretty much cover it.

16. Uncle Irish

Uncle Irish Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    6' 5" (21 1/2" 2 3/4") Tom Neilson Quad Fish. Alot of board, but was getting ready to give up on shortboarding all together when I got it about 5 yrs ago. Love the thing, but wouldn't mind adding something smaller to the mix. Spent my formative years on a 5' 8' twin fin, and still love the twin/quad set up.

17. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    5'8" x 22" x 2 5/8" Coil Megamind... Surfing 20+ years and this catches waves better than any board I've had. Goes great in thigh high mush to head high clean. Love the Coil crew.

18. kingofkooks

kingofkooks Member

Nov 20, 2011
    5'9" Roberts White Diamond.

19. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    awesomeness... 5'6'' 20'' 2.5''
    Vector Foil fronts... stretch rears
    I ride it waist high and below ...so a lot in NoFlo
    IMGP0027.jpg IMGP0028.jpg IMGP0029.jpg

20. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    @ Stranded: Is Sunshine still a surfboard company or did they go the way of Canyon, Surfboards Australia, Spoiler, etc...