Was I wrong to take this kid down?

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by MFitz73, Oct 8, 2012.

1. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    what would you do to me... exactly? would you VIBE me hard?

2. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Ok thanks for all the feed back and thoughts. Im really a very mellow fellow... Don't know if I'd do it again upon digesting the feedback here.
    But being that no one was hurt... if this reduces the # of drop ins on people going foward... I'd say it was worth it... in this particular case.

A few people mentioned that they thought the wave looks like a longboarding wave... it is... but these kooky kids are litering the inside trying to catch the wave, when just 6 or so blocks down its a different break, perfect for short boards... but people insist on trying to ride a short board at this spot.

3. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    is that you Kenny Powers?

4. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010

This is what is wrong with the world. Here we are again, at the crossroads of the pussification of surfing. That kid isn't going to sue anyone. Move on everybody.

5. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    You are always going to get mixed feedback, especially on this forum. There will always be someone that disagrees with you, regardless of the information that you present; no matter how righteous it may be. As some have already said, serious injuries can occur when you "burn" other surfers, kooks or not. In fact, burning a kook may be more dangerous, as they may have less control. Let the tough dudes be tough, but when it's you on the flipside, you are going to regret it. If you surfing today, catch a great one for all of us stuck at the office. Let's make it a great Tuesday.

6. travy

travy Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    i'd hesitate to put my hands on someone but in these situations i take the high line and run them over especially if i'm bigger or am on a bigger board. i also find screaming like an wild lunatic as you're coming down the line tends to clear out the shoulder hoppers too.

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Funny video, but probably not the best of choices launching at him, but having said that, you definitely had the right of way and he ruined it. Next time i'd suggest going around him and then verbally let him know what's up, and if it happens again then take it as a direct sign of disrespect and handle accordingly. I always give people a pass on the 1st one, cause god knows we've all made mistakes and ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time, but if it's intentional... well then that's where it's more about you and me and less about the wave.

8. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    yeah i dont know about jumping off your board at the kid. kinda looked like you fell on him. what about all the waves that came before the one you posted? i dont drop in on people, but when a kook longboarder is sitting way out the back catching every set wave ill definitely drop in on one.

9. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    that was actually my first wave lol.
    the break is really a longboarding wave unless it gets chest to head or higher. Local kids who don't know crowd the inside, local surfers who know bring the longboard.

10. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    this happened to me out at 1st street a couple months ago. I got in the way (by accident) and got chewed out for it. rightly so because he probably missed the wave of the day. The guy i burned is probably the best surfer out there if you know who ricky (rudy) judalena is. But he came up to me after and apologized because in the scheme of things, it really didn't matter. now were actually pretty cool with each other and share waves all the time. sometimes we gotta all eat humble pie man. if you see the kid out there again, imo, i would apologize. you never know. he may be a cool person once you get to know him.

11. Gregapher

Gregapher Active Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Lol!!

Assuming you're being sarcastic - you've made me laugh! If you're not, then clearly the high line may not be the high road!

12. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    So, the other day I put my GoPro cam on my shopping cart at the grocery store. Well, as I came down the soup isle, this old lady went for the last can of clam chowder. I yelled, she looked and still took it. I kicked her walker out and told her to shop some where else. After the incident, I remembered that I never turned my cam on.... Dammit!

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    What an animal!

14. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Assault my a** dude, if the law got involved you could argue you just fell on the kid. I just wouldn't pull that stuff at folly beach, for the obvious fear of being vibed big time. Everybody's gotta get the sand outta their vaginas around here. And in terms of risk of injury...I think taking a shortboard to the face poses a lot greater of a threat than falling on some dipsh*t kid in the water, don't really see how that logic even applies.

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I'll play devil's advocate here, what if the "kid" saw his launch attack coming a mile away and decided to go on the offensive at the same time and thrusted his knee upon impact and crushed ole Fitz in the dome and KO'd him right there in the water? I doubt he had the coordination or reactions to pull off such a manuever but what if he had?

16. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Then, no offense to Fitz, but well played by the kid in my book...doesn't put him in the right for dropping in, but well played none the less.

17. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Lol, if this kid did some sort of matrix karate move and knocked my ass out.... and assuming I'd survive, I'd have to either beat the sh%t out of him when I recovered even if he saved me, or I'd have to move.
    but when I was coming up to him on the wave he was basically going zero miles per hour after pulling some weak arse lip hack and in no position to make a move as suggested. the only thing he could have possibly done was to drop an elbow on me.... If he was in a ready to defend position I most likely would not have fallen into the collision. I think it will be interesting to see what happens going foward. Im sure he'll be out again before it gets too cold....

18. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Fitz,
    You need to work on your skills. I sometimes surf a spot that sounds like of like the same thing - long slow wave and people on the inside get antsy (or just dont get it) and drop in. Over the years ive gotten pretty good at just crouching and shoving their rail right up and out of the wave without really breaking my line or falling. Post back with some more rad gopro footy when you've got it down.

19. travy

travy Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    totally serious. you'll find it's tough to drop in on someone when they're screaming like a banshee down the line right on top of you. this technique is especially effective on groms, kooks and girls.

20. Retro

Retro Active Member

Oct 24, 2008
    nice. next time try shooting your board at the back of his head. now THAT would make for good you-tube!