Double overhead next weekend Ft Pierce FL?

Discussion in 'East Florida' started by Betty, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Am looking at forecast which says double overhead next Saturday Oct 26--WTF? Can that be true? Is it those two invests in Caribean and Atlantic? Too big for me and the long board. At best I would have to ride white water. ... But def will be out there watching the kids at the inlet killing this waves.

2. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I think there is a tropical system developing. They are talking about it affecting our weather on the gulf next week, swellinfo will be on top of it I'm sure.

3. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Isnt it nice Betty, the last 2 months have been incredible, been surfing at least 3 times a week, mother nature has been redeeming herself from the dismal summer we have had, this whole week there are going to be waves....wooohooo!!!

4. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Yes, we have been so loving it! I coulda done with less wind though yesterday as it made it kinda sloppy out there. But I did have a few nice long rides when the waves occasionally actually peeled left (she says with a dreamy look in her eye) although I coulda done without the leash around my neck in a big wipeout.

5. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    good luck finding a spot that can hold double overhead

6. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Maybe Sebastian Inlet? I will ask around the experienced surfers.

7. TylerSurf4life15

TylerSurf4life15 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Sebastian can, but the only places I know that could hold that size is Ponce inlet, New Smyrna, Sebastian and reef road and Sunglow Pier depending the tide.

8. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    At double overhead you need a bottom that will allow the wave to peel. Most east coast beach break will just be a huge wall of closeout whitewater at that size.

9. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    i know where i can go.... :cool:
    my avatar is a hint!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  10. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    there are plenty of places that can handle dbl oh waves in fl., you just have to have the experience knowing the winds and the tides here. Tyler is right about the places he mentioned, but there are so many more.....lol....i know where i can go:cool:

11. cackedinri

cackedinri Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    mavs? how can all you turkeyticklers hype a swell a week early?

12. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    haha turkeyticklers.... well i guess mavs could but no. its on the east coast though. cant make a decent call on swell till 48 hours max. anything before that is just hype. sometimes not even day of can you know unless ya go

13. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Have a look at the Wave Map forecasts, and you will see the predicted development of the storm system...

14. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Many moons ago when I lived in Melbourne RC's was my go to spot on big ground swells. Does it still break there? I would assume the break doesn't change that much due to the coquina reef bottom. The paddle out wasn't bad either. Just watch out for your knuckles on the inside just north of the main peak.

15. H2O'C

H2O'C Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Next Monday is a long time from now, but Hell Yes!!. Close out or not its gonna be crazy!!

16. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Now the forecast is NW wind, not NE. That will be so better at my beach break. Still too big and windy for my longboard. I might have to wear a disguise and go out on a sponge board:rolleyes:

17. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Now Swellinfo forecasting 20 foot for Friday. That's just plain insane

18. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
  19. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    You'll see me there my friend.

20. H2O'C