College

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Eastend, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Eastend

Eastend Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Alright its time, I'm going to college and want to be able to surf while I'm there. I'm planning on going west, as far west as i can go. I don't have the best grades 82 AVG but i have good recommendations and a decent ACT score (29). what colleges are the best for surfing on the west coast? looking into california state schools.

2. five9

five9 Member

Sep 20, 2012
    UC Santa Barbara
    UC San Diego

3. jasorod

jasorod Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    UC Santa Cruz as well ... UC Irvine isn't in a bad spot either, although it's not right on the beach like the others.

4. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    any coastal UC school or cal state. Cal state isn't as competitive however

5. Eastend

Eastend Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    yeah I've been looking at those schools really looking into UC Santa Cruz and UC Santa Barbara. anyone know how the CSU schools are?
    also i have heard that Santa Barbra gets waves but only when it sneaks between the islands, I'm looking for a place with constant waves

6. Toasted94

Toasted94 Active Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara community college, wont regret it.

7. seanmcgaff

seanmcgaff Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
    yea uc irvine is 10-30 mins from anywhere in north orange county, and just over 30 mins to anywhere in south county, including trestles

8. gromsurfer123

gromsurfer123 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I made that choice just this past year. Don't go to USCB. There is no surf there until you start getting NW swells in the winter. All summer, most of fall and spring it is dead flat there.

California State University Northridge
    California State University Channel Islands
    California State University Monterey Bay
    Point Loma Nazarene (private school san diego)
    San Diego State University
    University of California San Diego
    University of California Santa Cruz

all of these are right near the beaches all up the coastline from San Diego to Santa Cruz. seriously, skip santa barbara the surf is the least consistent of all of California's coastline because of the islands offshore (the channel islands) that block all south swell from getting to there. Best advice, go to San Diego or Santa Cruz. Both receive a decent amount of south swell but its all about the NW winter swells. both get big, double overhead and beyond big. (and san diego is really damn close to trestles which has 5 different waves including lower trestles)

9. JERSEYboarder

JERSEYboarder Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
    im also lookin at schools that have decent surf in the area but all the majority of the lists for schools near surf are all west coast what are some east coast schools? 3.8 weighted gpa and 1700 sat score. looking at school for some sort of good finance programs or business administration type program

10. im way better than you

im way better than you Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    UC San Diego. Walk to Blacks...enough said

11. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Dont be an idiot and spend over 50k+ for all four years of college. Move to SD County, enroll in one of the community colleges, get residency after 1 year. Apply to SDSU at a state resident cost.

If you graduate college with over 100K in student loans, you lost at the game of life..

12. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    With an 82 average good luck....

13. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    There's also Hawaii (UH at Monoa) and Australia (Griffith, Bond, Southern Cross). You'd probably be able to get into Hawaii fairly easily, but I'm not sure about the Australian universities. Does anyone know about those?

14. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Bill Gates on dropping out of college: "If you have it, you have it. I didn't need anyone giving me a piece of paper to hang in m office. My office has Monet's."[video=youtube;ymsHLkB8u3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymsHLkB8u3s[/video]

15. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    First things first. What do you want to major in? Also, out of state tuition is steep.
    California has lots of universities near or even on the ocean. In addition to those already mentioned, let me add Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. It's in central coastal California, north of Santa Barbara and south of Monterey. Beautiful area. It's about a half hour to Pismo Beach and Avila Beach to the south. And it's about the same distance to Morro Bay beach to the north. It's small town and rural, certainly not city. Lots on vineyards. I graduated from there in 79. Engineering, architecture agriculture, business, and environmental sciences are big there. Depending on the popularity of the major, it can be fairly selective. Pick a less popular major (sheep husbandry?) to get in then change it after you're there.

16. JERSEYboarder

JERSEYboarder Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
    what about schools in California for business? the majority of the UC schools seem to all be science based? any ideas?

17. wik

wik Active Member

Apr 26, 2007
    You want constant waves. SF State U or go up to Humbolt. You had better like surfing if you go up there. It's cold, wild and uneven. easily 2-3 times bigger than SD and SC every day in the fall, winter and spring. You'll never pray for waves again.

18. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    I have to disagree with most of the people who have replied so far. You do not need to pick a specific major before you show up, but you should at least have a general idea of what you want to study: physical sciences, computer sciences, engineering...? Pick a broad field of study and make a list of schools that fit that bill. THEN worry about surfing and quality of life. The same goes for jobs. I can tell you from firsthand experience that choosing a job SOLELY because of the waves in the area is a terrible awlful no-good very bad idea. You should not disregard it entirely, but I caution you against making it your number one priority. If that were the case, I would say maybe you shouldn't go to college right now. I do not mean that to be derogatory. I am, once again, speaking from personal experience. I went to graduate school in Monterey, CA and surfed my damned brains out...so much, in fact, that I did not have a good educational experience and now consider that year of my life to be a wash. If you want to go study, it has to be priority number one! Otherwise, it's too hard to do it correctly.

My personal recommendation, if it were me in your shoes: study physics at UC Santa Cruz. They have a great department. It's a challenging field of study, and you will work VERY hard, but it's (in my biased) opinion the most interesting stuff anyone can learn, and there are plenty of good waves and nice people.

19. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Don't waste your money. go get a trade. My nephew got a masters in computers. 27 and just got a job after being out 2 years.

20. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    East Coast: FIT, UNCW, Flagler
    West Coast: UCSD, UCSC, UCSB

in that order as well.