When are people going to wake up?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by shark-hunter, Nov 5, 2012.

1. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    When are people going to realize that we are building too close to the shore on the east coast and that the oceans are rising! Municipalities need to rezone what is considered a build-able area and back it back at least a 1000-2000 feet. Compensate people for this obviously. It will be cheaper than other solutions.

If you look at these before and after pictures. The entire area to the right of that major road should have ZERO buildings. That should be non-buildable shoreline. Where all the sand was pushed is now the new NATURAL start of the beach. We are in a loosing battle against a rising ocean. People/government need to recognize that. Stop rebuilding in areas that will be destroyed again that are oceanfront. Back the line up of what is considered oceanfront or nature will do it for you It's only going to get worse. We are spending millions of tax payer dollars on re-nourishment projects/ocean walls hardening of the shoreline ect all in a losing battle!
    hurricane sandy before after satellite SEABRIGHT.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    It's not the rising of the ocean, it's the natural build up and retreat of barrier islands. It has nothing to do with ocean levels. This has been happening for millenia.

3. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    On the east coast ocean levels are rising. That's a fact.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...-east-coast-us-science-nature-climate-change/

The only way to deal with this is to back up what is considereded ocean front/beach.

4. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    That may or may not be true. There is science that supports both side. I'm disputing your contention that the destruction and changes in your photograph are solely from the rising ocean levels. This simply isn't true. Barrier islands build and retreat over time because of mother natures action upon them. This is an indisputable fact.

I don't disagree that we should restrict building. I just want you to make a valid argument why, not latch on to a political buzz word like "climate change" and blame that for something that has been happening for millions of years, long before man (allegedly) began to affect the climate.

5. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    most of that is to bring viewers in. the ocean may be rising, but the barrier islands and hurricanes have always been going back and forth. i think it would be of great cause to develop a better draining system and to build sea walls in every town.

6. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Sea walls in every town? So basically you don't want to surf anymore right? How bout getting rid of all beaches and putting up big walls that will cost billions and look horrible and totally unnatural. I couldn't think of a worse thing to do to a beautiful shoreline.

How about just rezoning building areas near oceanfront and deal with the fact that there will be some flooding during storms in some towns which has been going on for a century. Doesn't that make a little more sense than building a 100 mile long wall? Let's be reasonable. Storms happen.

The picture I displayed was simply to show how far back we should be building. Not as proof of rising sea levels. And the ocean is rising in areas without barrier islands as well. I just quickly google mapped an image. I'm talking about areas withOUT barrier islands as well.

See hot many buildings there are. THe beach should be backed in at least 3 blocks. That should be the start of the beach

seaside.jpg

7. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Rising ocean levels is a straw man in your argument. Tying rising ocean levels to a natural occurrence like the ebb and flow of barrier islands is, plain and simple, dirty pool. The type of thing politicians do. Are you running for office?

8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I was referring to the contention that humans are responsible for a global climate change that has created the rising oceans. My apologies for not stating that clearly.

9. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh yeah...the human-impact part is being debated. Look at at the plot from some of the older stations like Battery Park....data back to the 1850s ! with a pretty flat trend line.

[​IMG]

10. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Regardless of your own position on anthropogenic climate change ( for which 98.6% of qualified climate scientists agree (Doran 2009)) The oceans are rising along with our climate's destabilizing. You would be a fool to purchase ocean front property.The science has been clear for decades. The only debate is among the common public. It is sad that it takes multiple catastrophic episodes before action is taken.

Examining the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change

Peter T. Doran

Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois, Chicago

Maggie Kendall Zimmerman

Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois, Chicago

Fifty-two percent of Americans think most climate scientists agree that the Earth has been warming in recent years, and 47% think climate scientists agree (i.e., that there is a scientific consensus) that human activities are a major cause of that warming, according to recent polling (see http://www.pollingreport.com/enviro.htm). However, attempts to quantify the scientific consensus on anthropogenic warming have met with criticism. For instance, Oreskes [2004] reviewed 928 abstracts from peer-reviewed research papers and found that more than 75% either explicitly or implicitly accepted the consensus view that Earth's climate is being affected by human activities. Yet Oreskes's approach has been criticized for overstating the level of consensus acceptance within the examined abstracts [Peiser, 2005] and for not capturing the full diversity of scientific opinion [Pielke, 2005]. A review of previous attempts at quantifying the consensus and criticisms is provided by Kendall Zimmerman [2008]. The objective of our study presented here is to assess the scientific consensus on climate change through an unbiased survey of a large and broad group of Earth scientists.

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pdoran/012009_Doran_final.pdf

11. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah, oceanfront land is always changing and always has. Some of it is nature and some of it is man. If you look at Folly Beach here, you will see a mix of nature and man. The island is constantly moving, as it is a barrier island. However, the harbor jetties also redirect the currents in a way that accelerates beach erosion just south. It has really hit Morris Island, and will continue to eat away at the beachfront.
    I do agree that houses/buildings should not be built so close to the ocean, but you will never convince people to follow this rule. Houses on the beach bring in big money, so they will continue to be built.

12. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    some flooding? MOST OF THE TOWNS WERE COMPLETELY FLOODED! The sea walls would prevent the storm surge. who is more reasonable, let's see...convince towns of people to move most of their homes to where? Inland? because most of these islands are no more than a mile wide if that in some places. Almost all of the islands are completely full of houses which would lead to moving the houses absolutely no where but on the mainland. Who cares if the wall looks unatural if it prevents entire towns from flooding and having everyone lose everything from fire departments, schools, businesses and their homes. PAINT THEM TAN! go ahead and tell njsurfer42 to move his house somewhere else. people live on the island for a reason. My idea is not unreasonable, your idea is implausable. or maybe you can drop some miracle grow on the island and watch is strech the beach 3 mysterious blocks. We aren't at the beginning of building new towns, they are already built, and full to the brim.

13. juliaep

juliaep Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Rising ocean temperature is also part of the problem, it makes the storms stronger.

14. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Risk vs. Reward, living on a barrier island or beachfront is a beautiful and rewarding thing, but with that comes the risk of getting your home destroyed by mother nature. It comes with the territory, and anybody who has chosen to live there should have been ready for this day to come. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. You don't put up a major seawall for these areas, you either move somewhere safer, or roll the dice once again, it's that simple.

15. gnarlytubage

gnarlytubage Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    i hate to be that guy but to justify building again by saying "storms happen" is quite silly. Why rebuild in a place you know will get destroyed again. i love the beach as much as the next guy and would love to live next to it but have some common knowledge of what is going to happen and just live inland. save yourself money stress and fear and let the barrier island be and let them go about their natural processes without any structural interruptions. we will all be a little safer and avoid further catastrophe.

16. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    There is a whole lot to this debate. Here are a few topics to be discussed:

Human development is impeding on the natural coastal marsh land and other natural barriers. The easiest example to point out is New Orleans... They diverted the Mississippi which prevented the the natural deposition offshore to protect the area. The land sinks below sea level and all geologists were aware of the pending disaster waiting to happen.

Similarly, any meteorologist is/was aware of doom's day scenarios with hurricane's coming onshore in the metropolitan northeast. High population, lots of coastal development... Disaster waiting to happen.

Outside of preventing coastal development -
    It seems to make sense that the people building residential development on the coast should take the financial burden when destruction comes. But, when everyone Else's tax dollars goes to supporting the inevitable destruction, then there are some obvious and legitimate arguments to be made.

17. andrewk529

andrewk529 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Another reason why the federal governments FEMA bailouts of property owners should be reviewed. I agree that individuals should have the right to build wherever. But if a storm comes don't ask for federal insurance compensation or any other type of government assistance/subsidization. Ironically this article was in the times this morning: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/n...ge-threat-to-new-york-city.html?smid=tw-share

18. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    We're so f**ked it's not even funny. People, or at least the masses of, will never wake up.

19. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Well, right now there are thousands of people living in NJ/NY that don't have a pot to piss in right now. Why don't you head over to Point Pleasant and discuss climate change? OR you can come down with some blankets, winter hats, gloves, boots, water, batteries, dog/cat food for the animal shelters that are overrun, and some gas. I'm lucky enough to work in PA and get online. In case you haven't noticed, most NJ guys are still offline. You can debate climate change with us when we have gas/power/clean water again. Thanks

20. WEBER

WEBER Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Correct me if I am wrong... But, isn't there a "seawall" that runs down Ocean Ave. in Monmouth County, NJ? I'm pretty sure Monmouth Beach got worked by Sandy and the "seawall" didn't do a damn thing...