When are people going to wake up?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by shark-hunter, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ewwoodsurf

ewwoodsurf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    I believe that it is a settled question that human action has altered the climate
    and made it warmer. There isnt much room for debate here. So let's move on.

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    when the data is manipulated there is PLENTY of debate.

3. dreadhead

dreadhead Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Sharkhunter, where is this money coming from to buy back these "parcels" of land? Being its election day, and we're already in an eff ton of debt, do you propose our nation go further in debt to buy oceanfront land? How can you explain that? Next thing you know, critics are going to say Obama is buying up oceanfront land for his own beach house.

4. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Valid point. That's the sucky part. Talking long term solution here. Done over a very long time.

5. dreadhead

Mar 2, 2010
    This thread is done. Your point can't even stand on its own. This will never happen. Sorry bro.

6. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    It COULD happen, but unfortunately probably won't. Of course in 100 years, the ocean will do it for us unfortunately

7. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Oh and we spend a fortune on hardening of the shoreline/nourishment/storm damage anyway. In the long term, it would actually be cheaper to back up the beachfront! But putting up the money right away is hard for people to swallow

8. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    the hard part is government deciding to take PRIVATE property!!

9. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Again, my point was completely missed. Please see the bold section of my statement. I'm not disputing the "climate change" position.

10. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Here's something to think about... I work in the education field and specifically with engineers, architects, contractors, etc., you know, those people who build your homes, roads, bridges, seawalls, and yes even those that work in and around your beloved beaches.

You would be seriously shocked (and probably pissed off) to know how little of these people actually CARE about their education. In my 8-9 years of experience in working with these people, i would say maybe 1 out of 10 (being generous) actually take their post grad education seriously. See, these people don't graduate and suddenly they know everything they need to know regarding their trade, far from it actually, most will tell you they don't know much until they've been in the field actually doing it for a good 10-20 years. These people (amongst other professions) need on-going training to keep up with the world and it never ends as we as humans learn more and more about the earth and how things work.

The people that are responsible for building safe homes, roads, beaches, etc. are REQUIRED by law to continue their education after graduating college in order to practice professionally, and if they don't the state revokes their professional license. For this reason, many take a negative stance on education and they simply shut that part of their brain down after graduation. I hear things from civil / structural engineers like, "i don't really care about learning anything this year, I just want to get it done and out of the way, just give me the quickest easiest thing you got so I can move on with my life". This same person that will be designing your home on stilts, or your seawall you keep asking for, or the infrastructure of your town, i.e. roads, drainage, etc. is saying he doesn't need or want to learn anything regarding his trade.

My point is that maybe a little more focus should be put on their education, since they ultimately are the ones that are RESPONSIBLE for making sure a town can withstand a Category 1 Hurricane. I say it's their responsiblity because it is exactly that, a responsibility to the health, safety, and welfare of the community. It wasn't until last year that the state of New Jersey started requiring your engineers to educate themselves after graduating college, LAST YEAR! Think about that for a moment, never once were they required to educate themselves, until the year 2011-12. Now i know some may educate themselves on their own, as stated before maybe 1 out of 10 I personally speak with actually care to further their knowledge, and that's with it being a requirement. New York isn't much better as they didn't start requiring continued education until just a few years ago as well, just a few years before New Jersey decided to.

Just stop and think about who built your home on the seashore, do they care if your house crumbles to the ground and gets washed down the road in a flood? Does the guy who designed that bridge you have to cross every day, does he care if it falls one day? I'm not so sure all of them do, not to say that there aren't good engineers and architects in the world, because there certainly are, but i'm afraid to report that the majority simply resent the fact that they have to educate themselves in the 1st place, and treat their education as something that they HAVE TO do like a chore, rather than taking it as an opportunity to better themselves and their trade and learn to design things better and maybe safe lives one day.

People will never leave the islands, it is what it is, so rather than do something silly like buy up all their land and force them out, or go out and build the great wall China in the mid atlantic, why not put the spotlight on those who design poorly, and maybe the states should take at look at their building code regulations. Stop waiting for tragedy to strike before you do something about it, be proactive and approach the design of anything in the future with the understanding that another major storm will hit, it's just a matter of time.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  11. dreadhead

Mar 2, 2010
    Can you support this with financial data? Or are you just assuming?

12. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Its called common sense dumbhead.

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    You know what's ironic about common sense?

14. dreadhead

Mar 2, 2010
    Before we jump to name calling, can you tell me how much each city on the east coast spends on beach replenishment each year? And then can you tell me how much it would cost to buy up all the oceanfront land on the coast? Please tell me, smartypants.

15. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    then let's define 'oceanfront'. is it just the first row of buildings? what about 'ocean block'?

16. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Don't forget to add up all the cost of damage to homes that occur during common nor'easters as well as hurricanes. Then also, add in cost of hardening structures as well as the fact that eventually the ocean will swallow most of these homes no matter what this century. EC is rising faster than the west coast for some unknown reason. It's a no brainer that we need to back in the oceanfront a few blocks.

17. dreadhead

Mar 2, 2010
    well shark hunter said we should move back 1000-2000 feet, so lets define it as that.

18. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    So if you move it all back 1,000 - 2,000 feet, what happens to all the people who already occupy that spot? Do they too have to move back 1,000 - 2,000 feet? Will this continue westward until you reach the Pacific? When will it end?

19. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Completely Off topic

20. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    LOL...Yeah the ocean is going to move in north dakota. Being ridiculous now.
    Anyway, I said at least 3 blocks. Maybe that amount of feet = around 3 blocks. Anyway, it's just an estimate.