Sandy: Water Quality Update Thread

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by LBCrew, Nov 8, 2012.

1. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/bmw/sandyatlanticocean.html

"Atlantic Ocean Stations (11/9/12 update)
    On November 6, 2012, the United States Environmental Protection Agency in cooperation with the NJDEP collected ocean water samples for enterococcus (an indicator of human pathogens) from near shore waters from Sandy Hook to Seaside Heights. These samples were collected to delineate any plume of pollutants from the NY/NJ Harbor and measure its effect, if any, on NJ’s coastal waters. Sample results indicate no measurable effect from the NY/NJ Harbor discharge on NJ’s coastal waters. Results for enterococcus were extremely low. The maximum result was 60 cfu/100ml; the minimum result was <10 cfu/100ml; the geo-mean was 6 cfu/100ml. For reference, the recreational bathing standard is 104 cfu/100ml.

No additional monitoring of the Atlantic Ocean is anticipated at this time."

2. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Good news!!! Thanks, sharkhunter!

3. sharp eye

sharp eye Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2011
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/11/121109111242.htm

"Affected waterways are located in northern New Jersey and include the Hudson River, Passaic River, Hackensack River, Newark Bay, Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill, Raritan Bay, Raritan River, Sandy Hook Bay and northern Barnegat Bay."

Doesn't really mention much about the ocean but I would guess if the intercoastal has been badly affected, then the beaches nearest inlets would be the worst off.

4. forman

forman Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    http://www.newsday.com/long-island/storm-s-continuing-toll-on-roads-waters-1.4212211

^ this article basically shows exactly what is going on near Long Beach. According to it, it seems only partially treated water is being let out and will continue to act that way until around November 30th. It shows the location of the plant and how exactly the water is exiting the plant.

www.googlemaps.com

If you google maps Bay Park NY it brings you right to where the sewage treatment plant is. It seems that the water being let out from that plant and into Reynold's channel though would completely miss the portion of beaches where the surf breaks are - the channel flows out of the Rockaway Inlet and towards New Jersey.

Since the longshore current is almost exclusively from east to west in these areas, one would assume that the untreated water would never flow "backwards", keeping the portion of beach where we surf relatively safe. Of course I'm no scientist and could be completely wrong, but this would be my best guess.

Thoughts?

5. hal

hal Member

Oct 29, 2012
    I went out on Wednesday, November 7th to surf Athena at Rockaway beach 90. Wave height was 15'. I was the only one out there. The BBC caught me on tape here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUP-6Mi8fU

Call me a moron, but the water smelled like sewage, and I went in anyway. I knew what I was in for. Literally surfing in toxic waste. The wind was perfect though, and I was getting barreled. I was out there for a few hours. On Friday I began to get a fever, chills, and was running to the toilette all weekend.

Felt pretty weird for two days, but all better now. My eyes are still bothering me a little. I'd say it was worth it. Lets see what else develops in the years to come though... right?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. Gogoplexx

Gogoplexx New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    ^long time lurker but this has made me break out of my shell…thanks for taking one for the team. hope you heal up.

7. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    fantastic post. thank you very much

8. hal

hal Member

Oct 29, 2012
    to be fair, I actually managed to swallow a good deal of water that day, also inhaling small amounts while coming up for air in the foam. Falls were dropping on my head a lot. Quite the paddle out. Perhaps if I hadn't drank so much I would have been fine. Pretty much inevitable though.

Anyway, something to keep in mind in the years to come I suppose: practice keeping your mouth shut when at Rockaway Beach post hurricane. If you don't get sick, you'll get cancer later.

Either that or don't go out.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  9. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    ^^^thanks for posting that up hal

10. forman

forman Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    yeah, that sewage plants path pretty much dumps out right into the atlantic beaches on the rockaway barrier island - it's probably one of the dirtiest places to surf at the moment.

11. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Logic makes sense to me, have been thinking this too. Of course I really have no idea. Would be great to hear from someone who has some specialized knowledge of this.

12. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    another thing to remember is that, on long island at least, people are still pumping out there basements all over the south shore. the discharge is supposed to go into your sewer line in the home but most people are pumping into the street where it goes into the storm sewer and into the bay or directly goes into the bay. not to mention that some folks have cess pools. even if most of the dicharge was going into the sewer, we have one plant in bay park that is still not 100% and dumping partially treated sewage into long island waters. not to mention when there is very high volume almost all sewer systems have Raw sewage overflows into the storm sewers and into the bay. that water has got to have all kinds of contaminants besides sewage like gasoline, heating oil and who knows what else. this is happening all over the island so all beaches would be affected.

in the end if you have to surf its your choice. but from what im reading it sounds gross right now all over the south shore.

13. forman

forman Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I agree, but it has been over two weeks since the storm and I would think that most of the pumping has already finished. Yes, there still is some pumping going on probably but would that be much different from the average storms / smaller hurricanes that come through regularly? (Also it's worth pointing out that the partially treated sewage coming from the Bay Park plant has had solids removed and has been chlorinated - meaning the water should be disinfected).

I guess my point is I feel as if everyone is making a big fuss about the water quality, but most people (including myself) are not really educated in the matter and are just throwing out opinions. The reality can really only be measured with tests, and i'm thoroughly surprised that Long Island does not have some sort of facility / webpage with local water samples / tests like the ones provided in this thread about New Jersey. Furthermore, in all the articles I've read, it does not say anything about the water quality being affected in the atlantic facing beaches (to the point of being unable to enter the water), aside from the harbor and beaches close (such as rockaway).

14. beachkat

beachkat Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    the sewage problem will be going on at least until the end of the month, per Newsdays article... also don't forget there is gasoline and oil from boats and cars and people's oil burners and gas tanks etc etc . breaking my heart about the environmental impact on our beloved ocean.... and when to go back in......

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    forman... I suggest calling your local sewage authority, state department of environmental protection, and any local non-profit organizations for information specific to your local beaches. Commercial fishing requires clean water, and that's state regulated. So I think there's got to be some testing going on... they might just not be publishing the data. When I called the NJ DEP, local water reclamation authority, and the Baykeeper I told them specifically where I was, and what my concerns were. Once the tourists are gone, the state thinks they can stop monitoring water quality at bathing beaches. They forget that there's a whole population of citizens, who pay taxes and contribute to the state economy, using the beaches year 'round. We deserve the same protection as everyone else... and that protection comes in the form of information. When it comes right down to it, it's a public health issue... even more than it is an environmental one. You can even call your local sewage treatment facility and ask them, "is your facility fully operational? Are you doing partial treatment or full treatment? Is there overflow into the storm drain system?" Be specific, and expect clear answers.

16. Peajay4060

Peajay4060 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    i've been looking for reports on water quality too but all i find is what was and still is being discharged but no testing results. i know more homes were flooded this time and then some were reflooded after the noreaster so it probably is worse. plus those places are just getting power so pumping is still going on.

you can make a case for no news is good news but the smell and look of the water makes me think the water is not healthy or safe right now. i did see on the DEC website that shell fishing is being re opened in some areas. im certianly not an expert but if the shell fishing is open it could be because the water in that area is not so bad.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7765.html

im still not going to eat local fish for a while.

17. hal

hal Member

Oct 29, 2012
    I'll go in and drink some more water @ Rockaway on Thursday. Will let you know if I get sick again.
    Haha. Seriously though, on Monday and Tuesday I'm definitely getting back in. Forecast looks sweet.

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    That's dedication man

19. HaoleNJ

HaoleNJ Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2010
    I found this report online, thought it may be helpful. I dunno if i believe it though. Has anyone been surfing and got sick as a result lately???

Atlantic Ocean Stations (11/9/12 update)
    On November 6, 2012, the United States Environmental Protection Agency in cooperation with the NJDEP collected ocean water samples for enterococcus (an indicator of human pathogens) from near shore waters from Sandy Hook to Seaside Heights. These samples were collected to delineate any plume of pollutants from the NY/NJ Harbor and measure its effect, if any, on NJ’s coastal waters. Sample results indicate no measurable effect from the NY/NJ Harbor discharge on NJ’s coastal waters. Results for enterococcus were extremely low. The maximum result was 60 cfu/100ml; the minimum result was <10 cfu/100ml; the geo-mean was 6 cfu/100ml. For reference, the recreational bathing standard is 104 cfu/100ml.

No additional monitoring of the Atlantic Ocean is anticipated at this time.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/bmw/sandyatlanticocean.html

20. PRO

PRO Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks dude! Sounds good to go!