Give a surfboard to a kid who doesn't have one.

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by StuckontheGulf, Nov 16, 2012.

1. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I just gave my old Mike Daniels to a neighborhood kid. Yeah I was going to sell it but it would probably only fetch $75 so I decided to just give it to a neighborhood kid. The family had been talking about getting him surfing and I thought this might push him to start. They gave my son a nice set of kids golf clubs a few months back and I thought this was a great way to say thank you. I got thinking about how some kids might never start or enjoy surfing if they don't get the chance to take that first step of owning a board so all you do gooders out there, if you have an old board laying around that you don't use, give the gift of stoke.

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Great gift to any kid, I wish someone had done that for me when i was growing up, that definitely would have gotten me going.

3. Xylem Surfboards

Xylem Surfboards Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Absolutely!

What a gift! I gotta do that! That's how we all should've got our first board.

4. PRO

PRO Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    I gave away my 8FT foamie that was sitting in the garage to an 8 year old neighbor.
    Parents didn't really have money to buy him 1, and he's always shredding on the skateboard.
    VERY cool. :)

5. ridedasurf

ridedasurf Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    thats a cool idea. i don't think i would of started if my dad didn't buy me one

6. SurferEdits

SurferEdits New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Thats how i got my board 4 years ago :) maybe someday you will come across some great board floating in the ocean somewhere lol

7. jcyr2

jcyr2 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    When I was like 7 I was given an old m10 hogfish. That board forced me to learn how to repair fins and delams at a young age :)

8. mikebrosio

mikebrosio Member

May 14, 2009
    My first board was gifted to me at 16. A 6'6" channin fun shape. Was a beater for sure. After 2 years and once I started saving money, I took it to Blair in Ocean city, MD for a serious overhaul. For $100 bucks I had almost a brand new board and will have it for the rest of my life. Now I'm 21, own several boards, and surf every time I get the chance. I come from a financially unstable home and would never have gotten into surfing if it wasn't for that person that gifted me the board.

9. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    quit surfing, its bad for kids

10. In the Soup

In the Soup Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    this is funny, same with me, i was gifted my first surfboard from a neighbor which was enough to get the ball rolling with surfing

11. matt_tarasiewicz

matt_tarasiewicz Active Member

Sep 26, 2012
    where are all these neighbors giving out free surf boards someone get me one!

12. staystoked

staystoked Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    nice act of kindness, but..

the next time a thread on this site is posted, where someone is complaining about to many kooks in the water... all fingers will be pointed at you.

13. StuckontheGulf

Apr 23, 2012
    I will gladly take the heat, please blame your over crowded break entirely on me. Makes perfect sense. I'm absolutely sure that it will affect every break on the entire gulf and Eastern seaboard. So, should we discourage surfing altogether for selfish reasons? I will quit teaching my 7 year old son right now so that he won' t crowd your lineup.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  14. East_Coast_Shoots

East_Coast_Shoots Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Me and Junior.jpg

I gave this to a boy in Nicaragua who snapped his right infront of me. He was sitting on the beach all day staring at the waves. I felt so bad i had to give it to him!

15. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Thats awesome... I have 5 kids in my neighborhood that I know. I have given them all boards when they were no longer my "go to" board... Thay all rip now and it makes me super happy to see it...

16. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I agree that giving the gift of stoke can be a great thing. On the other hand, I know a lot of the older generation panamanians down in Bocas - old bank in particular - are disappointed that so many kids who used to help feed their families after finishing elementray school by diving, fishing and hunting are now spending their time surfing (many on gifted boards), growing dreads, banging eurotrash, and blazing schwag. Not saying its good or bad, right or wrong, just that our gifts can change things in unexpected ways.

17. StuckontheGulf

Apr 23, 2012
    That's an interesting outcome. Kids need discipline so the elders should LET them surf after they have done their chores, which in that country might be fish and hunt for the family.

18. Retro

Retro Active Member

Oct 24, 2008
    i have a 7'6" WRV from the 80's ... if anyone knows a kid in need hit me up

19. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That is the one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard. Kids don't grow dreads, bang eurotrash, or blaze schwag because they were given a surfboard... Those kids would end up being douches no matter what.
    I know I'd rather my kid spend his time surfing and fishing than a lot of the stuff others are doing

20. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    First, the kids are not douches. They're good kids. Children and grandchildren of my close friends. Second the point of my post was to say they are now surfing and NOT fishing. Third, when I was living in Old Bank from 93-95 there was not a single local kid with a surfboard. Not one. There was not a single kid with dreads and blazing was something older men did (banging eurotrash has always been a part of the mix down there). Now?It's as I described. They may not be doing those things because they were given a surfboard but it's a package deal. Part of an identity that has been co-constructed over the past 15 years as a result of cultural contact.