Winter in Jersey

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by ThatSlyB, Nov 23, 2012.

1. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I never surfed the coldest parts of the winter before, but this year because of all the lost time this fall I think I am going to give it a shot.
    I wear a 3/2. I usually wear this through 4/3 weather, and do not own a 4/3.

Here is my question: I surf North Jersey. If you had to pick one wetsuit to last you through the winter, both the warmer months like end of Nov and Dec, and the colder ones, even if it meant putting up with a little bit of cold, would it be better to go with a 5/4 or a 6/5/4? Is it possible to last the winter in just a 5/4?
    I ask because I lost my job and can not afford both. Any feedback would be great.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Tuberz

Tuberz Member

Jan 29, 2012
    5/4 throughout the winter and your good, might get chilly after surfing a few hours and 20mph+ offshores howling in yo face. 6/5/4 would just be added warmth

3. ThatSlyB

Aug 20, 2012
    Do you use 5 mm boots and gloves too with the 5/4? Or would it be better to go with 8 mill boots

4. Inland

Inland Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    A 5/4 should be fine all winter. I think 5 mil boots would be a bad idea though. I wear 7 mil boots and 5 mil gloves. I wear a 4/3 all winter. When it gets into the 30's, I need to wear a heated vest under my suit. If it's too windy and cold, I'll just stay home.

5. ThatSlyB

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback guys

6. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    exactly what this guy said.i just came in after a lil sesh this afternoon.waves are good and the bars are lining up.but northjers is still toxic so i wouldnt surf ther.holgate n south lookin good,if ya can get in!!..i wear a 4/3 all year round.i have a hood i put on once it gets too cold.i got 5 mil boots andi can tell u they suck!!!go thicker.never tried the heated vest but it looks good

7. All Gnartural

All Gnartural Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Look more at how the seams are done than how thick a suit you should get; granted it was mild but I was in a 3/2 all of last winter and was fine because the seams were stitched, glued and sealed with whatever that "liquid tape" crap is. I used to think that was just a sales gimmick that companies would hype up but having a suit now with that liquid tape, I can honestly say it makes a huge difference.

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    5/4 will do ya.

I wear 5mm boots and claws all winter, but I usually only surf for a couple hours at a time because of the short winter days. But I'm comfortable.

9. bodyboardNJ

bodyboardNJ Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    i wear a 4/3 year round in jersey and it keeps me warm. The only thing that ever gets cold is my fingers and toes after a while even with 5mm glove and boots. I 5/4/3 would be fine, no doubt

10. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I use a minimalist approach to my suits. A 3/2 and a 6/5/4. 7 mil boots and mittons are 5 mil I think. A 5/4/3 can be used instead of the 6/5/4, but i prefer the extra warmth in trade for a tad less mobility. This setup is enough for anything NJ dishes out, and will handle mid winter jaunts to RI as well. There are times between seasons where I am a tad too warm, but its not bad. Other suits, boots, gloves in different thicknesses can be nice, but aren't needed.

You can make it all winter with a 4 mil, but it's not ideal, and I think anyone that tells you otherwise is kidding themselves....or they havent felt the warmth of a warmer suit, or dont do long sessions.

The seam info already mentiined is very important for a winter suit. Also, getting a suit that fits you, ( size and shape) is key too. Different brands fit different.

I also believe an attached hood is critical. Minimizes the possibility of flushing.

11. marksharky

marksharky Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2012
    6/5/4/excel dry lock for them cloudy days with off-shores huffing at 20+ mph, wind chill in the teens nothing else will suffice. 7 mill. boots and 7 mill claw gloves, you have to be warm or it's no fun! January/Feb. can be brutal but also have epic conditions... better then any summer swell. IMHO stay warm!

By the way I'm pushing 50 and have poor circulation, but I'll take solid Wilderness PR in baggies anytime in January over Dirty Jersey.. :)

12. Inland

Inland Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    I borrowed it from a friend on a day when the water was in the upper 30's. I was going to stay home because the wind was heavy offshore and the air was also in the upper 30's. I was toasty for a few hours.

I wish they made heated boots and gloves.

13. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i wear 5mil boots & 3mil gloves w/ a 5.5/4.5 all winter, but my hands & feet don't get cold easily & i hate the way the thicker gloves feel.

14. swell5

swell5 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    xcel doesn't make a 6/5 drylock.. 5/4 drylock will get you through. just have good gloves and boots.. if you're paddling and moving and not sitting around like a buoy you're fine. unless u surf maine u don't need a 6mm suit and even some mainers wear 5mm suits

15. richp12

richp12 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Ive web wearing a 4/3 every winter since I was 14. Get a good suit with a detachable hood so you can wear it in the fall and spring when it's a bit chilly. Obeill mutants are ok and so are rip curl it doesn't matter really as long as its sturdy. 5 mil gloves and 7 mil boots for those snowy days when club foot is sneakin in

16. wavesliderac

wavesliderac Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    same thing here.

17. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    As I've gotten older, I've gotten colder. When I was young I would get the winter with a 3/2, then 4/3, now 6/5/4.

Comes down to individual tolerance. I needed a hood the other day, my buddy went the whole session with out one.

Is the 6/5/4 over kill? Yes, but I'd rather be warmer. Whatever thickness suit - go with 7 mil boots and 5 mil gloves minimum for water under 45°.

18. In the Soup

In the Soup Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    i wear a 4/3 5mil boots and gloved a 2mil vest and a 5mil hood all winter but usually dont surf for more that 2 hrs

19. Edric

Edric Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Jersey is really great places for travel you will find many places here .

days inn kissimmee

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012