Trip to Nicaragua

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by Onelove87, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Onelove87

Onelove87 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Me and some of my boys are considering a trip to Nicaragua between March and May. Was wondering of some good places to check out in this part of Central America. Trying to go for about a week. Looking to pay a reasonable amount.

2. jay cagney

jay cagney Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
  3. Brode

Brode Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Go to Panama or Costa Rica instead

4. Onelove87

Onelove87 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Been to Costa Rica too expensive would consider panama to though

5. soflo

soflo Active Member

Mar 31, 2012
    El zonte in el Salvador was dirt cheap and overhead everyday in june. Def gotta know spanish though

6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Bring a chunk of cash to pay off the cops on the 3 hour drive from MGA to Iguana. And same thing again on the way back to the airport.

7. im way better than you

im way better than you Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Just get a Nicaraguan driver to take you to and from Managua. You don't really need a car and like you said driving around can be quite expensive. If you get a driver that is local they do not get hassled, I have been pulled over so many times I cant even remember, and never paid a dime because I had a driver. The drivers make the trip from the airport to the prime surf spots so often that they are even friends with some of the cops.

8. imharri

imharri Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I have been up to Poneloya/Las Penitas a few times. Nearest large city is Leon. Each Time I have been there the Surf has been great probably not as consistent as the the South but there is no crowds and its still very cheap. The Highway is now paved from Leon into Poneloya. I have never had issue with the cops and I driven all over the country. A good rent a car (4x4) is worth the expense if you want to get around. Get the Tire and Glass insurance, trust me.

Panama and El Salvador are also a great places.

The Rum is cheap everywhere....Get the Zacapa if you can Flor De Cana is OK compared to Zacapa

9. captbirdman

captbirdman Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Panama.....Panama.....Panama and oh yea,.... Panama

10. syou

syou Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Why a trip planned during those spring months?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  11. pmanning11

pmanning11 Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Popoyo n Lances Left.