New Winter Wetsuit

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by LI Waterman, Dec 29, 2012.

1. LI Waterman

LI Waterman Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2012
    My 6 4 Psycho 2 suit is getting worn so Im looking for a good replacement, any suggestions?

2. bronelson

bronelson Active Member

Jul 4, 2007

3. liveones

liveones Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    xcel infinity drylock.

4. BrianSurfs

BrianSurfs Member

Feb 20, 2012
    ^^xcel infinity drylock. I surf the NC coast but even on northeastern-like days (30 degree windy days with 50 degree waters) I can surf for 3+ hours without a chill. Mine is a 4/3.

5. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    x infinity on the Drylock. (pun intended)

A buddy just got Billabong's top of the line and it seems really nice too, but I think x-cell takes it with the Airprene... chitt is amazing

6. LI Waterman

Dec 23, 2012
    Thanks for the postings. I have Drylock booties and claw gloves and they are great. The seal is fantastic. I guess it makes sense to go with a Drylock wetsuit as well.

7. NewYorkSurfing

NewYorkSurfing Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
  8. MellowMonday

MellowMonday Active Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Xcel IMHO. Have had West,ONeill, and Rip Curl. I think Xcel is by far the best bang for your buck, most durable, and warmest.

9. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Not a fan of this suit for cold winter surfing. Too much 4 mil not enough 5, plus the detachable hood system isn't the best seal. Great suit for late fall and spring but I get cold in mid winter in it.
    The Xcel dry lock is great. Patagonia also but they run about $650. Way overpriced

10. LI Waterman

Dec 23, 2012
    Im sure the Patagonia R4 is an excellent suit but it's a too rich for my blood. Ive seen Patagonia 3/2's that were super expensive. I imagine the winter suits are up there.

11. ewwoodsurf

ewwoodsurf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Xcel Drylock, another vote

12. dudeman

dudeman Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    xcel infiniti or drylock, both are great. Rip curl e bomb/flash bombs kick ass too

13. bags of jay

bags of jay Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2008
    anyone have experience with the patagonia hooded r3?

would it be bonkers to think i'll make it through jan-feb in one of those?

14. foamdust

foamdust Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I'm torn between an e-bomb 5/4 and drylock 5/4 for my next suit. Anyone get to compare those two?

15. sinnid8472

sinnid8472 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Anyone tried the Matuse? I have an xcel infinity 3/2 that is about 5 years old and the tape is releasing. Thinking about an xcel 4/3 dryloc or possibly the Matuse Hoplite.
    http://www.greensurfshop.com/Mens-Wetsuits/

16. lipride20

lipride20 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2012
    do the xcel drylock's have removable hoods?

17. Aquiles @ El Dorado

Aquiles @ El Dorado Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I've got the R4 on size XL and I'm selling it, the suit is super warm, I used it 2 times, but I still haven't found a warm enough pair of boots or gloves to stay warm through the session.
    Or maybe I'm just getting old and it's cold for me.
    Anyway, The suit new was $625 and I'm selling it for $450, I will include a couple of "sink the stink" packets to rinse the suit, which I use myself with all my suits at the end of every season.
    I usually wear size L but the R4 on large was a little too tight.
    Let me know.

18. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    those suits make people look doucheeee, ya know? who needs a suit thats litterally 200+ more than competetors suit which is considered better from reviews....not too sure..nyc swag i guess. i hear the 5/4 drylocks are great for jan and feb but get a little tooo warm otherwise...im going cheap this year i just rested to peace my 5 yr old 5/4 hotline and grabbed a 6/5/4 hyperflex amp 3 for a 150 new, to me these other suit have similar stretch etc, just kinda worried it will only last a season or two. otherwise xcel all the way. (heard the e-bombs kinda fall apart if youir not gentle when taking them off) nice suits though.