Which Carver Skateboard?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by GrantLee, Jan 18, 2013.

1. GrantLee

GrantLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Hey guys,
    I've been doing some reading about the Carver skateboards and am pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger and order one. I've been surfing for about a year and a half and I feel like I've hit a wall in my surfing. I'm hoping some repetitions with the board will help my pumping, turning and stuff, not to mention it just looks fun. Any recommendations as far as which model to get?

2. GreenFlash35

GreenFlash35 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2011
    i have the same question excecpt i also must learn to Ollie. Not sure if the Venice model with its 36'' deck will be too big.

3. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Get the Taylor Knox pro model.

If you want to ollie..... get a traditional freestyle skateboard

4. 2MARG8

2MARG8 Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    They are all good, just depends on how big or small you want it to be. The bigger boards are just for cruising but the Knox as Erock says is pretty amazing, really quick turns. I have the facetime, it's awesome. You'll love whichever one you end up getting.

5. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Yep.

I forgot to elaborate about the ollie thing: The c7 front truck is heavy, like twice as heavy as a standard truck. Plus you want to ride it with some risers so you can really lay it on a rail without having serious wheel bite, so the geometry and weight is working against you for an ollie. The Ft. Knox comes standard with 3 risers, 1/4 inch each. I'm about to order four more to play around with raising the height a little more. It looks like Taylor has 4-5 risers on his in their videos.

6. gallerysurfboards

gallerysurfboards Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    I have a Resin 31 and a Facetime 38. I'll use the 38 for long workouts following my wife on her bike. The longer length is much closer to a natural surfing stance and really works out your legs more to pump it. However, if I want to have fun practicing hacks and cutbacks in an empty parking lot the 31 is quicker, more maneuverable, and a blast. So it kinda depends on what you want. That's not to say you can't do cutbacks and hacks on the 38 or vise versa. Those trucks are amazing and allow the turning mechanics of surfing almost perfectly. But generally I would say if you want a trainer for your legs, get a longer length to mimic your surfing stance. If you want to practice turns, snaps and cutbacks, get the shorter length. Or buy both like I did because they are so damn fun.

7. Feesh

Feesh Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2008
    I have the 29" swallow and it is very much like surfing with pumping and turns. Where I live there are no sidewalks so I pump down the street and use driveways as the face of the wave to imitate snaps. You can slide out the tail to replicate it and it really helped with surfing especially since it gets flat for awhile at a time. You literally can pump uphill with this board if you had to, its pretty awesome.

8. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i have the taylor knox & that thing has been a good send these past 2 months i had to spend out of the water w/ a neck injury (just got back in the water the other day, but that's another story)...i also have an old sector 9 longboard that i plan to retrofit w/ carver trucks to do like gallery said...up to the beach to check the surf, etc...the knox is more for going to a parking lot or something & practice turns & hacks & such...whatever you get, you'll definitely be stoked on it!

9. GrantLee

Dec 28, 2011
    Cool. To start with, I really want to work on my pumping and smooth sweeping turns, I feel like those are the first things to improve and then move on to sharper turns, cutbacks and so forth. So ideally I'd like a board that excels in all those aspects. I was looking at the various 31" models (Fort Knox, Monsta and Resin). Wasn't really sure of the pros and cons of each of those. But I was also hoping the board would be long enough so that I could maintain the normal width of my surfing stance. I figured maintaining the same width would help the things learned on the street carry over easier to the water. What are your guys thoughts on that? I'm pretty tall, 6' 3", so I probably have a slightly wider stance than average because of the long legs. One of 31 inch boards might be long enough, hard to say, it would be close. It wouldn't be the end of the world to narrow my stance slightly, but I worry if it would have an adverse effect on my surfing? I was looking at the 34 inch Greenroom complete thinking maybe the longer board there would be better for someone taller like myself. Advice?

Edit: I should clarify I'm not interested in bombing hills or anything like that. Parking lots, roads, inclined driveways and stuff. I'm sure I'll have a blast with it but its mostly going to be a surfing crosstrainer for me. I want to take my surfing to the next level

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. Uncle Irish

Uncle Irish Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Got the Monsta last summer and love it. Has definitely made a difference in my surfing, and have been at it for a long time. Don't know that you can really go wrong with any model.

11. oldenglish

oldenglish Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    I have the monsta carver. It has definitely helped me improve on linking turns and planning ahead on the wave. The weight distribution seems to mimic the turning of a surfboard pretty well. My only complaint is the pumping really doesn't reflect well on surfboard pumping imo. As of now I pump down the frontside line by unweighting and pressing on my toes a little and then weighting and pressing down on my heels a little. This is very similar to how I pump when skating bowls. Do people really pump down the line just by wiggling their hips back and forth? I am still fairly new to surfing and my shortest board is a 6'6 so maybe it will be different on a shorter less floaty board.

12. gallerysurfboards

gallerysurfboards Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    31 will most definitely be too short for your surfing stance at 6'3". I'm 5'9" and the 38 fits my stance. The 31 will be more playful, but if you want to maintain your surfing stance you will need to go 38 or possibly longer.

13. OldSoul

OldSoul Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    My primary board is a 5'8 quad fish in the water..i just recently got the carver resin (31") and it is awesome. I noticed a difference in my surfing immediately when I was out for the first time after using the skate board. I am used to riding drop through long boards with conventional trucks, and it was weird to get used to the carver, but its all i ride now. When i ride the carver I have my back foot right where the kick tail starts to rise up and my front foot is generally on top of the front wheels to give an idea of stance... i am 6'0 tall for the record.

14. LoHoAloha

LoHoAloha Member

Feb 1, 2012
    My first Carver was a LOLA (36" deck, 20 1/2" wheelbase). It was fun for carving down small hills or on banks, but it was a bit of an effort for me to pump it on the flats. I'm 5'11" and 180 lbs. Then I got the Fraktal ( (33" deck, 16" wheelbase) and that's perfect. It pumps effortlessly on flat ground and I can do really tight radius turns on it. It feels like a thruster the way it accelerates out of turns when I put pressure on my back foot. I think wheelbase relative to your height and weight is probably the key to getting the performance you want out of one of these boards. The longer wheelbase of the LOLA wasn't quite right for me, but my friend who is 6'2 and 220 lbs could pump it easily. I agree that these are a great training tool and super fun, a lifesaver for an East Coast surfer. Good luck and enjoy!

15. GrantLee

Dec 28, 2011
    Alright I think I might settle with the 34" Greenroom. It is their biggest surfskate board, and I definitely want a surfskate. I figure the couple extra inches will help a tall guy like me, but it should still be easy enough to skate it aggressively. Anyone ever ridden the Greenroom? OldSoul, is your stance on your Carver narrower than on your fish? And if so, does it feel awkward switching back and forth? I've never skated before so I'm not sure what to expect, hence the noobish questions. I've heard some lifelong skaters turned surfers say that it is initially hard to learn how to stand with a wider stance for surfing.

16. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    i got a chance to ride the TK carver this weekend and all i gotta say is wow!! so much fun. i skated all throughout high school and early college until i blew out my ankles over and over again and was out of the water more than i was in because of it. so i gave it up. now im 32, and i jump on that thing this weekend and im ready to start skating again. should be a bit easier on the ankles not doing flip tricks and just riding it for surfing. so anyone in the south jersey area have a used one they want to sell. $200+ brand new is a bit steep right now. but anyway, those things are sick.

17. tonylamont

tonylamont Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    I have two Carvers: the Venice (36") and the Flowmaster (42"). I have also ridden a friend's Monsta (31"). Strangely, I love riding the Flowmaster in pools, it just seems a lot less squirrelly than the shorter models and more like surfing (to me, anyway). Though lots of people think I'm crazy riding one that long.

If you are used to double-kick boards I think the Venice is a good choice, it has a shorter wheelbase than you'd think. The 31" models are too short for my tastes.

18. OldSoul

OldSoul Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    GrantLee, my stance is about the same on both boards (probably a little wider on the fish) I dont really have a wide stance to begin with though. I think a 34" will be okay for you, these are fun little boards that will help you become more fluent in using your rear leg to pump through sections and develop power out of turns. The wheels they come with are not to bad either, they slide pretty easily when you want them to... fun boards man...

19. Captainpanic

Captainpanic Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Which truck would everyone recomend? The C7 or the CX?

I'm a new surfer (skated a ton when I was younger, but not recently) and was thinking of either the 34" Greenroom or the 36" Lola. Being new to surfing, I'm only riding long boards.
    Any recommendations?

20. tonylamont

tonylamont Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    I'd go with the C7, it's the original and closer to surfing. I'm a fairly new / lousy surfer and it's helped me a lot - at least with the 10% of surfing that happens after you catch the wave and stand up. The CX is probably closer to a traditional skateboard but that's not why you ride a Carver.