Southeast Blows!

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by 843RippinRob757, Jan 20, 2013.

1. 843RippinRob757

843RippinRob757 Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Im tired of the forecast being so big in the begining of the week and dropping to 1 ft three days before in the southeast, sooooooooooo sux!

2. Scbe

Scbe Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2011
    News guy on WAVY (Ch 10) in Virginia Beach this morning said it will be 4-5' there TUES - WED. What gives?

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Again with the whining about the forecast...?

4. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    The forecast called for 2-4 ft here with lots of wind. They were right. Windy inconsistent chop. Yesterday was fairly accurate too, but it wasn't as clean as the forecast predicted.

5. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Thank God for southeast facing beaches!

6. NJshredmachine

NJshredmachine Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Yep. Northeast best in USA

7. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    That's it njtrollmachine, meet me at the beach cuz we're having a bench off.

8. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Get used to it cuz weather changes...the splendors of mother nature can never be guarenteed by an online forecast. Read buoys, learn spots, keep an eye on the weather, stop b##tching.

9. Brett

Brett Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    IT does that everywhere on every forecast. Its simple, the chances of the conditions coming together perfectly dwindle as the day grows nearer, thus, the forecast changes accordingly. Beyond 2 or three days is merely a rough estimate that is fine tuned to become more realistic as that day becomes nearer. Besides, I'd rather live in warm sunny florida than the frigid bleak shores of southern massachusetts. I dont enjoy the swell that much of the northeast gets, but I deal with it. I feel your pain.

10. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Best for ball shriveling cold water. But a guess a roid-rager like you doesn't have much left to shrivel up.

11. TwinPhishLSD

TwinPhishLSD Member

Jan 22, 2012
  12. idiot

idiot Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah this is getting ridiculous. We havent had a decent wave in S Carolina in well over a month. So deppressing

13. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    What part? IOP had a decent morning on Saturday. We also had something a week ago. They weren't overhead, but 2-4 ft fun stuff.

14. idiot

idiot Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Washout was **** on friday llooked **** on Saturday morn from the cam and pier cam, but ill admit I forgot about that bump a week ago, fun and warm I was out till dark. I guess i'm getting a little ancy, need to shoot down to PR sometime

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  15. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Yeah, Saturday didn't look very good, but I had a few good sets once I was out there for a while. I will agree that it would be nice to have more than one ok day per week. Even in late summer we were getting 3-4 days in a row of clean LB waves. However, winter tends to be less consistent.

16. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    see, I have found the opposite down here on HHI. The actual swell forecasts are pretty legit, but the wind and conditions forecasts are always wrong... It calls for like 20MPH wind most days down here. So I will see a 2-3 foot swell at 8 seconds, which sucks, but when I get there in the morning, its sheet glass with light offshores... Still grovelling surf, but for the most part, down here the forecasts indicate it being worse than it actually is... Almost every time... Swell forecasts are pretty on... But not tide specific... a 3 foot day here at high tide turns into ankle slappers when the tide drops out... Is what it is... Gotta know your spots. Timing is everything.

17. idiot

idiot Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    How has HHI been treating you Zach? Better or worse than expected surf wise? Growing up there really helped my wave reading ability as they are normally chopped/short and now surfing a bit better waves I feel like I appreciate it more coming from such **** waves.

18. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Its been good. I expected a little less than I have gotten. Being so busy all the time has helped cope with the lack of surf. But I have been good about jumping on it whenever there is a bump... Have only seen 3-4 HH days, and 1+ during Sandy, but otherwise, fun waist to chest high lines.... I miss getting speed on waves, but the common surf down here is quad/fish friendly for me, so I have brushed the dust of my fish and had to hang up the short boards for the most part.... Not bad though... Weather has been nice. Water temps around 59 right now... No complaints there. I surf alone pretty much all the time, which is weird, but good. I mean, unless its really solid (meaning chest high) I am pretty much the only guy in the ocean as far as the eyes can see. Get my choice of all waves.... Different, but a nice change of pace coming from San Diego... I miss the NW swells of the winter obviously, but no more death defying DOH-TOH days to get the blood pumping... Just enough to not go insane =)