Painting a surfboard???

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by MFitz73, Feb 11, 2013.

1. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Hey so I picked up a used board that's in very good condition... for a used board.
    Its epoxy and has some dings that need repair but its in good shape... no pressure dents on the deck.
    the board is plain with just a few logos. I was kicking around the idea of painting the board, nothing crazy... I want to tape off the stringer and paint it white on the deck and underside and paint the rails black.
    My questions are, what kind of paint would be best and after painting would one put a clearcoat on it to sort of lock the paint under a protective layer? And would I lightly sand the board before painting to help the paint stick to it?
    Also, would there be any reasons to not do this and just leave it be?
    thanks

2. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    i paint all of my boards. thats half of the excitement for me of getting a new board. new art project. i personally either air brush or spray paint mine. no special prepping is really needed you just need ot make sure that its fairly clean. i also like to use some type of clear coat after i finish. the krylon airsol stuff works fine.

3. downeast

downeast Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Lightly sand first to possibly avoid flaking.

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    The Krylon works well. There's also an oil-based product by Rustolem that I've used, too. I prefer the matt or satin finish over the glossy stuff.

5. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Hey thanks for the comments. so I can use acrylic spray paint and what about using a clear coat at the end? is that advisable?

6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I was referring to clear coat products... the Krylon and Rustolem. I think it's called Krylon Crystal Clear.

7. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    ahh, ok I see, thanks.

8. Blackfish

Blackfish Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Dont use the Krylon for plastics, I tried that and it forms a rubber like skin when it dries and just peels off......of course I could have done it wrong. I really wanted to change the color of that pink board.

9. MFitz73

Aug 21, 2010
    Also... is windex any good for getting the wax off or use something like acetone to totally get the wax off?

10. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    my brother used acrylic paint markers on one of my buddy's boards. i don't think he used a clear coat or anything. it still looks pretty solid six months later

11. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Hey MFitz,
    I bought one of these things and they are incredible wax removers. Just scrape most of the heavy coat of wax off and then buff/scrub all the little bits of wax you missed and it will make the board look brand new. You gotta put some elbow grease into it but it is definitely worth it. Also do it outside because the pumice gets everywhere. Reusable and the dirtier it gets, the better it works. Recommend to anybody
    http://picklewaxremover.com/pickle_wax_remover.html

12. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Once you paint your board, you should look into bedazzling it.

13. Pursuitofhappiness

Pursuitofhappiness Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I used the krylon paint and clear coat and it works great. Clean the surface with naptha then acetone, sand with 400 grit and wipe once more with acetone. Paint and top coat with the clear, wetsanding with 2000 grit between coats. You can also use a krylon paint marker for lines and details.

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    clean the board with laquer or thinner,then sand with something around the 120grit.i like to use the 3m painters tape,make a couple lines,spray paint it,let it dry,put some more tape lines,paint.then clearcoat.i wouldnt recommend the regular store brand spraypaint,if u can go to an arts and crafts store and look for belton molotow.its a german paint,thats high in pigments(not watered down like krylon,rustoluem),it costs like 6$ a can,but well worth it and has the best colors... www.artprimo.com just to get an idea of what kind of spray

15. funkyspec

funkyspec Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    One of my friends who was a hobbyist shaper would paint each board with his wife. For one of the boards he shaped for me, they used this glow in the dark paint and did an astronomy motif with stars, planets, comets, etc. on a dark blue background. It was cool to see it at night leaning against my bedroom wall.

16. moku_surf_shop

moku_surf_shop Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I would suggest lightly sanding down your board, this will also help clean it and make sure there is no sand stuck in it. I have always used spray paint to do my boards, it drys faster. The down side of spray paint is you don't always have 100% control of the paint but it isn't bad. If you are just doing lines, I would suggest putting tape down on the parts you don't want the paint. This will allow for clean straight lines.

Make sure you purchase high quality fast drying acrylic spray paint. Acrylic paint is better because it drys with a glossy look and is more adhesive then most other spray paints. Another fun way to paint your boars is also using dish soap. This gives your board a great splatter look. There are many videos of it online if you are interested in that! Hope this helped!

17. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009

Windex will help take off the wax residue with a lot of extra elbow grease but I use Goo-Gone to make sure all the residue is gone.

18. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Won't the paint scrape off when you scrape the wax off?

19. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Windex & Goo-Gone sounds like a lot of work. 757surfer has a nice write up on the "Pickle" a few posts up. I was going to post a picture of the Pickle, but I felt most of you New Jersey brethren could relate to this more.

snooki_15_wenn3073724.jpg