Surfing tomorrow

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by T Plugs, Mar 8, 2013.

1. T Plugs

T Plugs Member

Jul 31, 2012
    ok I have been surfing the past three winters in my 3/2 with 5 mm boots and gloves w/ hood.. so I dont get cold easily...think I can get away with not wearing a hood tomorrow? I can't find mine and am not missing out on this swell.

2. cackedinri

cackedinri Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012

3. superbust

superbust Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    You're in LI? Yea man go buy a new hood, and a new suit, you're nuts if you think a 3/2 will keep you warm.

4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Just wrap your head with a towel

5. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    looks like you make bad enough decisions, wont make that much a difference since your f**king nuts

6. newenglandflatness

newenglandflatness Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    what's your average time in the water? twenty minutes?

Unless you dropped a grand on an h-bomb, you've gotta be tapped if you're surfing for any significant amount of time in sub-40 water just wearing a 3/2!

7. T Plugs

T Plugs Member

Jul 31, 2012
    lol's love the answers..and to newenglandflatness I surf for like an hour go sit in my car for like 15 then back out

8. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Haha dude you are a nut

9. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Pretty sure surfing without a hood in a 3/2 with a swell of this size could be life threatening.

10. mickey1982va

mickey1982va Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I have a 4/3 and still didn't want to go out in 42 degree water... am I a wimp or smart ?

11. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    If ya gotta ask...

12. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    use a ziplock bag

13. littlerhody

littlerhody Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    are you borderline retarded? you love 2/3rd of your heat from your head. its cold as hell right now. just got out of the water and the wind makes it even colder.

14. swellchasing

swellchasing Member

Jan 30, 2013
    This. You'll be dead.

15. LI Waterman

LI Waterman Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2012
    I was out this afternoon. The water was pretty cold considering my feet were frozen in 7mm booties.. And considering how big its looking, plan on getting your head wet. Heck throw on your shorty under your 3/2. Otherwise its not happening.

16. ThatSlyB

ThatSlyB Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Hypothermia is a very real thing in water this cold. You could easily get it if you spend time in water like this for more then a very short while in a 3/2. I have a very good cold tolerance, and even I wearing a 5/4/3, 7 mm boots, and 5mm gloves, get cold after a little bit of flushing after being out for an hour or more.
    And it isn't like you feel yourself getting cold. You start going numb in whatever hand or foot is cold. And you start shaking. This is much less common in thick suits and much easier to shake off with a little paddling to generate heat. In a 3/2, this would not be shaken off.

As far as your hood goes, if you fall in surf this big with no hood wearing a suit that thin, i believe it could actually kill you. Your body temperature would drop way too low before you could even reach the beach to attempt to warm up.
    Please use your head. There is a reason no one is using a 3/2 and everyone is wearing hoods. It's not a tough guy competition.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  17. Brett

Brett Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    I agree with zippy dude you might actually die..like seriously. Just go out and buy one if you're already crazy enough to surf in a 3/2 when the water's sub 40 degrees...Also the wind where I am tomorrow is supposed to be dumping onshore like 40+ mph so you'll need something to protect you from the wind.

18. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Since this is obviously not a legitimate question posed to the forum, I guess I'll respond in the like...
    f-that bro. When Im sitting way outside looking to pick off every good wave that comes through I need all the mobility I can get.... a wetsuit would just slow me down... I think you should go out in boardshorts... maybe put some sun block on...

19. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    There was a day when suits weren't even blind stitched or glued. Yes it was f'kn cold but it didn't stop us from heading straight to the beach on snow days if there were waves. Water just flowed straight through the seams and zipper. Where there's a will, there's a way. I remember getting joked because I was the only one of the group using one of the o'neil hoods with the ****ie like bib on it.

Smart, no; doable, yes.

20. downeast

downeast Member

Dec 4, 2012
    1989 Late-March-I was in the seventh grade and had been surfing for one full summer and did own like a 2mm spring suit. I took the school bus to my friends house in Rockaway. My friends set me up with a 3/2 full and booties and I somehow squeezed the spring suit on top. No extra gloves so I put on rubber gloves for dish-washing and we duct-taped the end of the sleeves to keep water out.

Don't remember how long I lasted, but I survived and don't remember being cold.

Your body will ultimately tell you when it is time to get out. Listen to it and don't try and push it.