Orcas in the lineup, what would you do?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Mar 11, 2013.

1. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Not...a...chance. Those things are very aggressive hunters. Sharks do not scare me like these things do.

2. imharri

imharri Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Usually the Orcas up there eat Salmon and we would SUP around those PODs hoping to get close enough for some photos, but those ones appeared to be chasing Seals/Sea Lions...I wouldn't hang around.

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    HAHA I know right... Most of the surfers didn't seem to even care, i've stayed out seeing sharks before but this would most likely change my tune. Imagine one coming from below and just blasting you into the air and bye bye, never to be seen again...

4. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yeah, I wouldn't chance it...I'd get out and watch from the shore.

5. shaarkbate

shaarkbate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2011
    those things kill great whites. definetly not swimmimg with something that eats great whites!

6. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    One must be willing to bet your life that that hungry orcas can always tell the difference between a sea lion and a surfer in a wet suit without an initial taste test. These things will come in on the surf and snag a sea lion right off the beach. They're very tough predators in the wild, not a Sea World act. Actually, I believe that a Sea World handler/trainer was killed by one of their orcas sometime back.

7. wave1rider65

wave1rider65 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Crap my suit.........then get out of the water............

8. newenglandflatness

newenglandflatness Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    I'd at least consider getting out myself, but keep in mind how much more developed the orca brain is than a shark brain. Cases of mistaken identify are a lot less likely.

There has never been a documented fatality on a human from a wild orca, and very few bites in general - the nightmare stories are all examples of orcas in captivity.

I'd probably rather paddle out with the orcas than stick around after seeing a shark

9. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Can you imagine if a mother was teaching her calf how to hunt/kill and chose you as the subject?

10. imharri

imharri Active Member

Dec 21, 2012
    I can remember getting chased out of the water by Sea Lions...They bite too

11. motivated2surf

motivated2surf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    That is crazy. The size of an Orca is just scary. An accidental bump and all your bones are probably broken.

I know it could never happen, but speaking of nightmares in the other thread. I always dream about an orca or whale coming up for air and getting swallowed whole without them taking a bite. Then, you are sitting in the stomach of this massive creature with only a candle. You yell Gepetto! Help! Then, you realize you are made out of wood and only one person can help. Roy!

12. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
  13. arby

arby Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    i'd drop in on 'em

14. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I'd be headed towards the beach the moment one of those critters even farted.