Close Calls

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by EmassSpicoli, May 7, 2013.

1. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I don't even know what to make of this.... why the fck am I not eating mcdonald's every day.... I must be wasting my time with trying to keep the fat off. lol.

2. ScorchieLeWave

ScorchieLeWave Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    All kidding aside, I'm wrong to joke about the ocean! It's good that you both survived intact, what was obviously a harrowing experience. Like the Noller said, "Don't mess with the water". A slip on even a 4-foot wave can wipe you off the map. :)

3. newenglandflatness

newenglandflatness Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Seriously. Any other new england surfers seen the guy who's always out at Gansett area breaks who packs some serious extra poundage but still just rips? You'd know the guy if you'd seen him. It's so depressing watching someone his size out-paddle me and just generally out-surf me, but some consolation when I sit back and marvel at the sheer miracle of physics..

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    You talking about the bald guy? If you are, I surfed around him at PJ last Sept. He's a trip and was definitely charging the bombs all the way up the point.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I know exactly who you're talking about...dude has a MEAN paddle game and hauls ass at his size, absolutely shreds.

6. newenglandflatness

Oct 12, 2012
    Not the guy I'm thinking of, though I'm glad to hear RI is so stocked with the heavies!

7. newenglandflatness

Oct 12, 2012
    Clearly, I type slowly.

It's straight unfathomable watching him paddle for a wave. The laws of inertia just seem to not apply.

8. TX Shreddin

TX Shreddin Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Geez, I'm exhausted.

Just validates a thought I have. Everyone I ever met from Mass talks way to much and listens to little.

I think all that talking is what got you and your buddy into trouble in the first place. Relax and listen.

9. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    My Dad is from MA, I support this statement.

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yeah the dude has a beast paddle...minimal strokes into the wave at that, feel like ive seen him take 4 strokes int the wave and bam he's up.

11. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Was that before or after you were choking on phallic objects?

12. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Don't share your "opinions" that border on a judgment on a person unless you're prepared for the response.

You know what they say about opinions...

13. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Recycle it from where? Neither comprehension nor composition of the written word trouble me, unlike some denizens of this forum. Have you seen Idiocracy with Luke Wilson? I think that's the communication that's necessary to get points across to some on here.

I put an honest post up about an eye-opening and fairly traumatic experience and get hammered by ****he@d responses in a matter of minutes yet I'm sensitive for refusing to take verbal abuse. It's called self-respect and the fact that I don't tolerate BS like that from people I don't treat so poorly.

And what are "ripostes"? Some cool surfing technique I just don't know about?

14. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    I am getting out and surfing. 16 of the last 17 days. 110+ hours in the last 90 days. Each day I go out with a specific plan on techniques I'm working on that day so I have the most refined basics possible. If the waves or conditions aren't conducive to getting reps on that move, I identify another thing to work on because there are always parts of our game we can work on each day.

- To your first point, fully agreed.
    - Second point, completely correct. I read about those things each day and try to learn as much as I can about them. I print out a tide chart, take notes on what I saw each day at my local breaks and at what tides and other stats. I also have an old school barometer that I compare the report with.
    - Third, correct again. With how fast and drastic things can change (especially at the spots I go), there is no substitute for live observation.
    - I do think about what I post. My longer posts clearly take time and they're detailed to give the full picture to those I'm asking for a response. The problem is that several on here don't think about what they post. Some also sit back as an armchair quarterback and fire away at people without reading all the prior posts in the thread to gather facts.

15. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

Lest you forget you started this thread ASKING FOR OPINIONS ON THE SITUATION?

Hayseus Christo, stay of the freaking yayo!

16. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    You write an essay about how you brought your friend out in solid surf when he can't surf. You say you want to teach him balance and paddling in 2-3 footers. But there is the occasional 9' wave (which did not exist in the NE on Sunday. I don't care what the other guys in the lineup said). Was the plan to dodge the 8'-9' waves while surfing the 2'-3' waves?
    You seem to get defensive about some responses (ie. Erock saying you over estimated your ability). I don't think he intended to offend you. Your description makes it sound that way.... Did you only want to hear that you did a great job and to keep it up? If you don't want true opinions don't ask for them

17. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011

Originally I had no intention of offending him. It's different now, he's a proven Masshole.

18. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    If they are the "nicer and more helpful posters on this forum" then I fear for those they are superior to. Look guy, I gave an honest recap of an event that was a lot to take on many levels and opened myself for potential criticism in the effort to turn to vets I considered to respectfully pass on knowledge as I was sure everyone had been in something similar at some point. Instead, I got a firing squad of condescending a$$hole responses (in between some very helpful) that were very inflammatory, several of which fired away before even reading the facts of the situation and then putting words in my mouth.

The first punches of disrespect were thrown by many on here, not me. If you look at my second post, it followed a battery of condescension yet I still had the patience to stay on topic and not make anything personal. You'd have to go back and read to see where the disrespect began and by whom, but it's obvious that reading previous posts before posting yourself is not a pastime some share on here.

Until this debacle, I had been maintaining a positive existence on this forum and happy to be here which could be seen by my posts. I still like this forum but it's clear who to keep distance from.

19. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    My suggestion to you is to incorporate some fun into your surfing routine. You speak of all the hours you've logged like you're filling out a timesheet and you mentioned work three times in your last post. Practicing and progressing are great but let's not forget the point here. Are you earning $$$ from your hours in the water?

No? Me neither.

So after all your hours you've logged and work you've put in what do you have to show for it? A badge of honor so you can vibe the dude next to you because he obviously doesn't work as hard as you and couldn't possibly love surfing like you love surfing? Come, on man. You may need to smoke some spicoli special or find another release. I'm never as pent up after surfing as you are. We do this for the joy of being in the water and the rush of harnessing a piece nature's power I recommend you do the same.

20. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Read before you write. The 9 footers were a week prior on a Friday night at one certain break at a certain time near sundown. Did a handful of 7-8 footers emerge right by the rock jetty during the time we were stuck in it? Yes. Does that mean that there were any sustained 7-8-9 foot waves or even anything close the rest of the day for the other 90% of the beach front? No.

I wanted the feedback of many on here. Perhaps I was naive to think that it could be delivered with some level of respect and decency. Where I come from, you don't talk like that to people that you've never met or haven't done you wrong. And if you do, then you deal with their ensuing response.