ticketed surfing

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by 252surfer, May 19, 2013.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^^ THIS ^^^ Best option for sure.

2. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I flat out hate the copys in VB. Everwhere else I treat them withthe respect they derserve. Cops from Norfolk, Chesapeake etc think they're ****s too....According to my brother-in-law who is a Norfolk cop.

3. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    norfolk and portsmouth cops are cool because they have REAL crime to deal with. Va Beach and Chesapeake cops just fill their ticket quotas by harassing the innocent.

4. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    It sounds like your buddy was used by the cops as an example to other surfers. We're discussing it here so unfortunately it worked. That sux. Hopefully in a couple of weeks the coast guard types will have their hands full with bigger fish to fry and the local cops/guards will be the enforcers. They usually give more warnings and use (i can't believe i'm typing this) a little better judgement when balancing ocean conditions with swimming tourons. No matter what laws you are breaking, in or out of the water, the federal guys with badges don't mess around with things like warnings.

At least the lifeguards have been pretty quick to put up the red flags in recent years. We've had a lot more areas to surf during the few summer swells we get. For those of you not from 'round these parts, generally when the red flags are flying you can surf at the non-surfing beaches during non-surfing hours as long as you're not riding the shorebreak into swimmers that can only get wet up to their ankles.

5. goosemagoo

May 20, 2011
    FYI: boogieboard + no fins = swimmer
    I was at the beach and I didn't have my board with me one day last summer. The windswell picked up enough to offer a few nice shorebreak dumpers so i borrowed a buddy's sponge. Lifeguards called me out of the water due to red flag conditions. I'm like "What the hell?? There are tons of bodyboarders out." He said you're considered a swimmer if you don't have fins.

6. KillaKiel

KillaKiel Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    3-4 o'clock, perhaps the touron he was hittin on got distracted by the surfing. Quite a crowd these inlanders. I have seen the police and lifeguards get puffy-chested at the surfers before as if these chicks will respect that. To it's their own I suppose. I have dounted my sanity seeing this level of behavior.

While on the subject, how does that conversation go? "What's up girl? I get a discount on meatballs subs at Bella Pizza." I suppose it could work on a hungry Russian.

Fight it. What to you have to lose?

7. goosemagoo

May 20, 2011
    Too bad they've just about quit giving out summer work visas to eastern europeans. Now it's all Chinese students working at McDonalds practicing english instead of hungry russians dancing on the bar at Central 111 for $$'s.

8. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Sounds ridiculous to me. How much is the fine? If it's an ongoing problem, maybe ite time the surfers band together and lobby the town council or mayor. And demonstrate your financial worth to the community, for example, surfers buy gas for their car to get there, buy local boards, buy food for the beach or afterwards, attract tourists who like to watch the surfers and so forth. This tactic has helped some surfers to change their towns approach toward them. Money talks.

9. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Imagine 757 Surfer blows off paying the fine or going to court or whatever the sitaution calls for. He has a few beers, listening to some ghetto beats, and is thinking, "What would Allen Iverson do in this situation...?"

So he blows it off.

8 months later Dog and Beth get the case. Dog goes, " Ok, Leleand who is this guy and what's he wanted for?"

Leland's all, " His name is 757 Surfer, and he failed to appear in court for surfin' too close to the pier. Buzby Bail Bonds bailed him outta the county and he skipped court and hasn't checked in."

So 757 Surfer becomes a fugitive with Dog and Beth on his trail. Desparate and rattled, 757 Surfer delves deep into the Portsmouth street scene where he goes downhill quick from bathsalt abuse......

Dog and crew finally catch up with an emaciated(Erock, spelling?) 757 Surfer who is selling dirty deeds for $10.00 a pop.

Dog arrests him, gives him a cigarette and talks to him aboot Jesus. Beth chides him for being an inconsiderate surfer and not following Virginia Beach surfing regulations. 757 Surfer then starts crying and screaming aboot "his kids." 757 is then transported to The Portsmouth City Jail and winds up being severley beaten by some guy who appeared on Beyond Scared Straight a year prior.

All of this could have been avoided had 757 Surfer been cautious and mindful of Virginia Beach surfin' regulations. But in true surfer spirit, 757 said, "F Virginia Beach's surfin' regulations." And that is admirable.

Oh don't worry...........after being placed in a particulary rough cell block, 757 got a break when SUPERFISH used his police connections and was able to spring 757 out of da county.

GOSH DARN !!! Virginia Beach is exciting !!!

10. billabongmoney

billabongmoney Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Go to court for it , yeah it sucks but I got the same exact ticket last year and Everyone with the surfing violation ticket got off the court was super busy so we ended up in a juvenile court room and the judge was super annoyed he was having to hear cases about surfers so he ended up dismissing everyone's case. I guess just a couple of officers check the beach for surfers because 3 officers were responsible for all the tickets so when you go your not going to be alone. And if its not dismissed just say you were surfing near the pier heard the officer calling people in and you ended up with a ticket even though you were not in the no surf zone just near it.

11. goosemagoo

May 20, 2011
    That was funny. Paddington knows the 757.

12. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Portsmouth city jail, aka the Jeffery Wilson relocation camp.

13. Kuono

Kuono Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    So a few weeks ago the ocean front get's trashed and some people get ticketed...757 goes surfing enjoying the ocean, being respectful gets ticketed - the irony

14. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    paddington sounds a lot like brendan.you should send that letter to transworld surf for the true shark story shyt they do every month

15. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    hahahaha that was awesome. i love your stories man. keep'em coming. I don't have to work that day so i think i will go to court and try to make my case. I know the other guy will be there. My court date is June 6th so I will let y'all know. bad thing is he gave me the tickets as i was coming out of the water and it fell apart in my hands sitting there. i threw away and have no idea about anything court related. anybody know how to get a hold of that info?

16. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Correction:

No, Brendan sounds alot like Paddington............. hey do you mean that Brendan Buckley dude?

That's funny you mention that. I did submit my Bogeton Wolftucks story to TWS's "TRUE STORY" awhile back. I told them it was aboot as "true" as any of the other stories they put in it. Nothing. Rejected. I have yet to make that jump from professional letters-to-the-editor to actually getting a cracker to give me twenty dollars for a piece. Ya know what it is that I be sayin' ?

Hey 757, I hope this run-in with the law hasn't stoked a fire of criminal excitement and intrigue within yourself. Kind of like a "gateway" offense........And dude, don't sweat going to court. It's no big deal. As you become a criminal you'll realize that as long as it's only municpal court it doesn't matter. Superior is where you worry. Ya know what it is that I be sayin' ?

17. goosemagoo

May 20, 2011
  18. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I would argue it too. it's worth a shot. make up some story on how you got a leg cramp and couldn't fight against the current and the lifeguards failed to see you signal them to help you lol. get creative! worse case scenario you have to pay it, best case scenario you don't. if you don't have any type of record or past tickets, most of the time the judge will be lenient with you

19. mbs05c

mbs05c Active Member

May 15, 2011
    Yea definitely take it to court! I got the same ticket in the fall but I was the only one in the water on the North side of the pier. When I got out of the water, I was apologetic and respectful to the cop. Thought he was gonna let me off, but he still wrote me a ticket. But I went to court, told the judge the current had pushed toward the pier and the cop didn't refute it. Judge let me off with a warning.

In your case, I hope you get to appear before the other kid, so his disrespect doesn't leave a bad taste with the judge or cop for you.

20. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Take it to 'em, 757. I seriously hope you win.

Last year, I was surfing the north side of the 15th St pier. Nice spring swell. Some locals, some groms, some interlopers. All cool. DP.

Sitting there waiting on a set, when thawunk! heavy splash! something hits the water between me & a shaggy-maned fairly chunky-built blonde dude in trunks (the rest of us were in 3/2's....Lee....?!?)

Shaggy B starts cursing out all of the overweight fisher folk up on the pier for pegging debris at us in the water.

Well, those lardy ol' pier fisher guys knew what was up; they kept staring at Shagmaster, non-committal, kinda waiting for him to start looking at waves & away from them, and gaboom! here came another missile. ShaggyB was incensed. Can't blame him. And, also did not want to catch a chunk of lead in the side o' my head. At that point I just paddled further away from said pier.

I figured it was not worth it to catch a missile in my cranium; and besides, you gotta pay an entry fee to go up on the pier & start to beat up a coupla fat drunken idiots, aaaaaaand then I end up in jail, throw bail, ahhhhh crap been there done that.

Anyways, 757, I truly hope you get your ticket for surfing repealed.

Last edited: May 21, 2013