Surfers against Cyclists

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by RIsurfer, Jun 4, 2013.

1. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Sorry about the weird forum, but i've been wodering why surfers hate cyclists so much? Heck, my dads a cyclist!:D

2. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Why would surfers hate cyclists? We don't compete for the same resources. When I was a skateboarder I hated BMX Nazis...

3. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    i am a cyclist and don't know of the relationship youre talking about... whats the correlation?

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Is this regarding that boatercycle again?

5. Dalarast

Dalarast Well-Known Member

May 2, 2013

Is it because we compete for the same material for our wetsuits and their shorts???? :)

But if we're supposed to hate cyclist I need memos on this stuff so we can get all the people we hate because we surf....

6. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I personally can not stand cyclists because they are stupid enough to trust people driving steel tanks. Is it really worth it?

7. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I ride my bike to the beach carrying my surfboard.

8. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    No beef w/ cyclists, although I do question their concern for safety when riding on windy woodsy roads that cars haul a*s on...what I do HATE are the quads, dirtbikes, and obnoxiously loud motorcycles that run rampant in my neighborhood.

9. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
  10. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Who cares what other people think, do what you want.
    Never got into Road Biking, but Mountain Biking is pretty dope.
    You have to find more hobbies then surfing on the East Coast or you'll go mad through the flat spells.

11. no6rider89

no6rider89 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Agreed 100%. I've been mountain biking for about 10 years both downhill and Xc riding, Im actually looking to get a road bike now just to switch it up. However I have no intentions of riding on high traffic road ways only paved trails to start. I never knew any sort of beef existed either?

12. skimdog

skimdog Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Hey! What if some one invented a surf board bottom and bike top. With like riverboat paddles to get into the wave. You heard it here first!

13. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    You have wild horses in your neighborhood? Cool! I bet you hate 'em 'cause they poop in your yard, eh?

14. OBlove

OBlove Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2006
    +1 swellinfo. waiting around for swell is somthing I did when I was 12 & over it now. cycling, running, triathlon, paddling, SUP'ing, kayaking etc. are not just ways to pass my time anymore; these hobbies are just as much a way of life for me as surfing - maybe more. the waves suck for about the entire east coast - but I love to surf when it's cracking!

15. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Hehehe, I wish it were those kinda mustangs, I wouldn't mind their poo either. I don't fertilize my lawn so that'd be some good natural nitrogen w/ the added benefit of an occassional treat.

16. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    +1

I think it's more an entitlement to the asphalt and yellow/white lines than a trust for the motorists. Not all, but many cyclists put themselves, the motorists on both sides of the road, and pedestrians on the sidewalks in grave danger. We (surfers) have to go to the ends of the earth at times to find our venue to hone and enjoy our craft. And for the most part, we have rules of engagement and a general consideration for safety and rights of way. If I could say the same (last two sentences) for most cyclists, I'd be less apt to want to drive past them, slow down, and let them be introduced to the inside of my open door.

Darwin would be disgusted with some cyclists lack of self-preservation and respect for will to survival of others in their environment.

Now Mtn Biking on the other hand, yea brah! Long lost pastime! Good stuff and it's fun and balls out when done right.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  17. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    cycling is awesome, I am either surfing 3ft clean waves later or doing about 20 miles hopefully in a little over an hour. cycling looks extremely lame but is very fun and rewarding. all about efficiency.

18. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Darwinism gets taken so out of context at times.

19. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    I wouldn't call myself an avid cyclist but i have a lot of bikes. a road bike, a vintage schwinn tandem, vintage schwinn tri-, beat to sh1t beach cruiser with surfboard rack... I don't think cyclists have a feeling of entitlement. If you have a road bike you have to stay on the ROAD. You can't be cruising at 20 miles an hour and then pull onto a gravel shoulder to let a car past you that will move over into the other lane for a fat fukc walking down the road with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth but won't slow down and give two feet of the road for a cyyclist. Rant over.

20. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    So he wasn't a proponent of one's will to survive?

Side note, do you think he fashioned a log (or door in a business suit) and rode the sick surf in Galapagos while studying that sequestered ecosystem?