Wave Garden 2.0

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by naradah, Jun 4, 2013.

1. naradah

naradah Member

May 1, 2010
    What do y'all think? How much would you pay for 1 hr on this wave?<br />Personally, I'm stoked.<br /><br />[video=vimeo;67574899]https://vimeo.com/67574899[/video]

2. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Actually... I'll pass. How many off-the-lips do you really need to do? I like the personality of natural wave far more. Unless you're just trying to practice one move 'till you get it wired.

4. actionpants

actionpants Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    Yeah, It seemed like the wave was too fast. They were scrambling to hit the top as many times as they could no real flow. I could see the potential for training but its missing that glide and movement of real waves. It seemed like they didn't go anywhere.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    +1 Just not the same...maybe if i lived in ohio.

6. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    It would be nice to compress a 3 hr. session into 30 min of actual surfing.

7. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I would definitely surf it once in a while on a flat day for training purposes.

8. SJerzSrfr

SJerzSrfr Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    would love to surf that thing. not that id do it every day, but would probably hit it up a few times a year if i had one around me, obvioulsy depending on the price and crowds. if its crowded, no thanks.

9. ocsurf32

ocsurf32 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Cool concept. Needs to be a lot bigger though. Wasn't Kelly working on a circular wave pool that could produce up to 8foot hollow waves? Wouldn't pay much for the wave garden its not much better than.a.small summer swell

10. BeachCruiser01

BeachCruiser01 Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2007
    I think Wave Garden is in France.

Kelly Slater's Wave Pool was supposed to be built in a housing development in Australia (what could possibly go wrong with that idea?). The developer has gone belly up.

Kelly should team up with Universal theme parks or Disney and build it in Florida. They both have serious bank and have been expanding their theme parks. FL is 3rd in per capita surfers.(Hawaii is #1 and Cali is #2) And number 1 in per capita surfers with inconsistent waves.

Of course, you might have to put up with Quiddich Days or surfing with a Wookie* in Mickey Mouse ears but it would be worth checking out. When its January and the water temp has taken that final dip into the upper 30's, cocoa beach with its 60+ degree water looks mighty fine even though its 2 ft. wind chop.

*Remember, its better to just let the Wookie win.

11. meatloaf

meatloaf Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    ^ what is this dude talking about....you go to your first festival last weekend or something?

12. shorepoints

shorepoints Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Meh. Looks like they are towing a Flowrider underwater. You have to keep cutting back to stay in the pocket. Don't actually go down the line at all. Also I'd like to know the throughput of the thing. How much time between waves? Nice effort but I think there are a few fundamental flaws that would keep this from being commercially viable.

13. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    I'll try to remember to ask you both in June/July when we haven't had a wave in weeks :). I wouldn't take that wavegarden wave over the real thing, but if it was between surfing or not surfing, I'm all over that thing. Cool.

14. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Right? They seem to live it up on the lake wake. Let Middle America have it. They're deprived of enough.

15. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Would it? The lengths and efforts we go to for each wave we ever get (travel, time, cold, duck-dives, slop, crowds) is what gives us the sheer gratitude we have for surfing. The anticipation and virtue of necessary patience are undeniably key elements of the process itself and the "journey" we speak of endlessly with such great reverence. The peace and contentment we experience that heals us and opens our spirit up so much is directly attributable to the duration of our sessions and the commitment to that investment of time which is a non-renewable resource in our lives.

Preaching aside, I've put my whole life to fitness and athletics and surfing is unparalleled for volume and depth of physical conditioning as well as the element of "disguised conditioning". From a mental endurance perspective, I can train shadow boxing, pad rounds, sparring rounds, and technique for MMA for 2-3 hours. I can weight circuit train and sprint interval condition for 90 minutes. Sorry, I'd get far too bored to approach any length of time that you 13.1 or 26.2ers do, but there's plenty of you out there who can run for 2-4 hours. NOTHING else I've ever come across can captivate me to the point of 6-7 hour sessions (aka full days) that are largely spent sprint paddling, duck-diving and hopping waves, riding waves, getting wrecked by waves, and taking the 5-10% rest out back while I peer off to see where the next set is coming towards. Notice that sitting on my board and waiting for Eternia is not included at any point. In any event, surfing is so far beyond any other sport or physical activity (at least for me) in value and ease of applying myself towards for sustained lengths of time, day after day, without any desire to stop.

Yes, I want the 3 hour sessions and prefer them. Every damn day. Would I take the delivery of the clean, ready-made aqua quarter-pipe for 30 minutes outside of that? You bet your 450lb Hindu I would. But it's a supplement, not a substitute.

If the wave pool alone is your schtick, then you're Rick from North Shore without the epiphany. Arizona's not so oceanic in the end.

16. endlessummer89

endlessummer89 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2007
    http://vimeo.com/67886627 Not sure if anybody posted this, but the full version of the video just came out. I think it has the potential to be amazing but it's still not quite there.

17. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Given the amount of flat days we have on the east coast, it would be nice to have this as an option. Fake waves are better than no waves.

18. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Good post, Spicoli... some of your finest words yet, IMO.

19. BassMon

BassMon Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    ^^^^^^Agreed. Great post Emass. IF they did perfect this and could make nice clean head high waves on command, I think id still rather surf for real. There is so much more to surfing then just riding the wave although that is the ultimate goal. That's why I love winter surfing, there is something about braving the cold weather just to do what I love that seems to tickle my fancy

20. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    they need to scale that mother trucker up! I mean, you can make a wave, why on earth would make a little weak one? I want to see a faux pipeline that runs a mile and the bottom is lined with pillow top mattresses and fluffy kittens.