Longboard Advice

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mike228, Jun 5, 2013.

1. mike228

mike228 Active Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I started surfing a year ago on a 7' fun and have been at it consistently. I'm not catching as many waves as I would like to and want to purchase a longboard. I have my eye on a used Valaric 9'9" squash tail. It is only slightly wider than 22" The price is in my budget and I like that it is shaped by a local guy. I am concerned that 9'9" might be too long though. I am 6'0" 182 lbs. I want something for small days to shoulder high and would like to eventually start nose riding. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    For smaller days, it will be fine. Plus it will be great for the nose riding. Maybe he will let you try it first?

I prefer a 9.0 performance LB so I can still enjoy it when I want to on larger days.

3. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I would buy it. You could probably get some nose time on the right 9'0" at your size but you'll definitely spend some time on the nose on a 9'9". That size will let you get on the wave early and really enjoy the glide.

Many times I've encouraged people to get out on big days on the longboard. It's a b!tch to paddle out sometimes but a longboard can surprise you with how nimble they can be on a more powerful wave.

I think longboards hold they're value better too if you want to sell it later.

4. surfer23451

surfer23451 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    No problem on the 9'9" - sounds like a great board. I surf a 9'0" HPLB on most days, but some days I still get out on my 10'0" Walden Magic Model when I want to work on noseriding. I am only 5'7" and 145 pounds, and I can handle the 10'0" just fine. I have ridden a 9'4" longboard in triple overhead - the waves were not very hollow, though. For hollower stuff (I've ridden Playa Hermosa up to 12 ft, Witch's Rock up to 8 ft, and Haleiwa 8 - 10 ft) though, I have ridden my 9'0" - again, no problem! Pura vida!!
    PS - If you want to see some pros riding longboards at Pipe (pretty hollow stuff!) check out the video attached. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywfuGTXK-KQ

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. rvb

rvb Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    my locally shaped 9'0 i love, i am a little shorter and lighter than you. but its my go to log. i have a 9'6 as well, and i find i cant turn it as well, not as responsive, but damn it catches anything, and quickly. i think if i was a bigger dude i would appreciated the 9'6 more. both are single fins i should add.

if the log is in good condition, and you can hold the board under your arm comfortably (a factor often overlooked ha), and the price is right, i say go for it. worst case you are not a fan and you re-sell it. as mentioned earlier there is a good market for used longboards.

6. clintopher

clintopher Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    You and I are the same height/weight. I have a 9'6" x 23 1/2" x 3 1/4" Austin Soul Glide and the dimensions are spot on. The biggest I've been out on it was a shoulder to head high day. I had to go ass over tea kettle a few times before I adapted my technique but after I got the right timing/trim down I had my best day so far on that board. Oh, it kicks ass in the small stuff too.

If it's a good deal then go for it.

7. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Regarding the longboard in bigger waves, was just watching endless summer one and two (again) and it always amazes me how nasty they were on those boards and with those huge fins, just thought I'd throw it out there

8. mike228

mike228 Active Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks for all the input. I ended up picking it up today. Its a used Valaric "narrowed-nose captain's log" 9'9' x 22 5/8" x 2 5/8". It's only 16 1/2" at the but at this point I need to improve my turning before I get to nose riding anyways so I think the narrower nose will be beneficial for. I didn't think I would find a better log for less than the $500 I paid for this one.

9. mike228

mike228 Active Member

Sep 7, 2012
    If I end up being half as good as Hynson and August I'll be satisfied

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Bro- this sounds like a perfect board. Just go for it. Everyone goes nuts over the length of a board- when truthfully there are many other characteristics of a board that will change the way a board handles then just the length. I had a 9'0, 9'2 and currently have a 9'4 and a 9'6 and i can not tell the differnece in tghe legth affecting the way the board rides or the challenge of paddling out with a longboard in bigger surf (OH). NOW- if you are comparing a classic longboard shape to a high performance shape- there will be major differences- Even with paddling out.

Just go for it- you will thank me later when you are catching all the waves on a waist hi day- getting long rides all the way to the beach- having fun and cruzing on the nose in style bro! what what.. now im excited!!!

Personal option- i would rather ride a 9'9 over a 9'0.... your not going to notice 9 inches if you dont ride longboards very often...

ok- can someone please spell check my post? the auto spellcheck is not working. Thanks guys.

11. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    WOW!!! great to hear! I should have read the rest of the post before i posted!!! your stoked!!!

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Definitely will, love watching some crafty footwork on a LB in big surf

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Ya man, just pay attention to the footwork, crazy stuff

14. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    I highly recommend a DVD called "Longboard Habit". They have some clips on youtube, which is nice since the DVD is hard to find, but the DVD is great. 3 hours of longboard surfing. Tons of surfers whose style range from progressive to traditional, and some guys on twin fin and single fin short boards. Chad Marshall, CJ Nelson, Joel Tudor, Taylor Jensen, Kassia Meador, a lot of Mailbu surfers. Also a cool feature on the wedge, and that big Swamis swell from 10 years ago. :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  15. mike228

mike228 Active Member

Sep 7, 2012
    I just checked out some of the clips on youtube: definitely some awesome stuff. Thanks for the share.