Bodysurfing

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by RobG, Jun 12, 2013.

1. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Now that the water has warmed up enough to lose the boots up here in the mid-atlantic I've been breaking the fins and handplane out and scoring some good little barrels. This past weekend I put in my longest bodysurfing session around 2 hours and got some wicked foot blisters from my fins. I've never had a problem in the past but probably because my sessions are usually shorter.

Anybody use fin socks? I'm thinking that would probably put a stop to the blisters, or maybe there's some other tricks that would help too. Just curious if the fin socks help with blisters or maybe I need to look into some different fins.

Any other bodysurfers out there?

2. Gilman Photography

Gilman Photography Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    i body surf from time to time and use fins often when im shooting surf photos and fin socks definitely help for the longer sessions

3. no6rider89

no6rider89 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2008
    depending how long im going for i will use my vipers without fin socks but usually always use them with my makapuus' because the foot pocket doesn't have the neoprene like the vipers do and it is a little awkward for my foot. fin socks solved all my problems that i had. I usually had blisters all over my feet or other wounds from the fins rubbing. I really like using the because they take up the space. In a pinch or to save money you could probably just use normal socks to do the same thing.

Oh yeah dont rely on the built in fin savers on some socks, they're crap.

4. Valhallalla

Valhallalla Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I always wear these: http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/evo-one-and-a-half-mm-sock/ I get no blisters from my fins, Makapuus and DaFins, even after several hours. They also give my exposed heels and ankles a bit of protection from rocks and other crap in the water. These particular socks run large. I am size 11 and use size 8-9 in these socks.

5. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Sick, thanks for the responses, I will definitely get some fin socks. How do you like the Dafins? I have the Makapuus but I'm thinking about picking up a pair of Dafins to try one of these days.

6. nilsen07

nilsen07 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I've never had a problem with blisters from fins and I usually stay out pretty long either taking photos or bodysurfing. I've also heard that regular socks will work just as well as fin socks but i don't use them. On Dafins, I love my Dafins they are very comfortable and push a lot of water. They are really cool as well I lost one of my Dafins and emailed them and they sold me a single one for like $30 and were willing to sell me a new pair for $20 off since I had bought from them before. I use my Dafins in the Summer and Makapuus in the winter to fit over my 5mil boots although I'd consider getting a few sizes up in Dafins to use for the winter as well.

7. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hydro tech2's are super comfortable and still have pretty good thrust. I alternate b/t those and my maks.