CI quad pod vs Firewire Dominator

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by hobie78, Jul 3, 2013.

1. hobie78

hobie78 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Looking for some input on the CI quad pod vs. the Firewire dominator. I've surfed anything from a 9'2 Hap Jacobs down to my 7'3 7S fish, and I'm looking to take it down to 6'6 - 6'0. My size is perfect for something 6'0 and under as I am only 5'6 & 160 lbs. however, at 41 yrs. young (shut your mouth groms) and two damaged shoulders I need something with a lot of foam under it. So lets hear it? Need some serious opinions as I have a limited window to purchase the new HPSB (have an 11 month old boy and wife who is willing to let me add to my quiver FOR NOW!!).

FYI - This is mainly for the winter swell

Thanks!

2. Njryan

Njryan Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Stretch superbuzz, hand shaped by the man himself.

3. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I now have two firewires and love both shapes. They are great, light boards that really work. Unfortunately I am finding that they are fragile and prone to issues. I busted 2 fin boxes on one and the other a timbertek is splitting where the parabolic rails meet the deck laminate. This after 2- 3 weeks of use and in a way no hand made board ever would. Again I think the shapes are great but construction is an issue. I don't think this is because of foreign labor, i think its because of cost and weight saving measures that leave a less than durable end product. I like Stretch.

4. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I will add that my boards are a rapid fire and a timbertek. My friend has an FST dominator and it is at least 4 years old and still going strong. Get an FST if you go firewire.

5. fins369

fins369 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    i surf an oversized Pod quad (6'2" length, I'm 5'10"/180) in the winter, and can't speak enough about it's ability to hold its rail in steep drops.

For being massively oversized for myself, I'm also very surprised with how well it turns. never surfed a firewire, and i've heard good things, but you can't go wrong with the Pod.

also, it catches waves like a LB. I have a shoulder issue as well. caught a wave once, stood up, looked behind me, and it hadn't broke yet.

6. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    stretch does not hand shape all of his boards...

7. Njryan

Njryan Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Yes he does, that surftech disaster has been done for over 2 -3 years. He always has done hand shaped eps and is still the best at eps. A lot of bigger companies have done the same with surftech or another version(CI,...lost, etc)

8. skulldog

skulldog Active Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Dominator is a great board up to head high. i wouldnt sell yourself short and go to big. use the volume calculator on their website..its a good reference to start with. Im on my second FST and its one of my favorite boards.

9. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    Same age as you, but 6'0", 185 lbs. What I ride is a 6'2", 2.5", 20.75" WRV Drone, which is basically a Neckbeard. Get a real board, as in real I mean non-epoxy. Do you see ASP surfers on epoxy? No you don't. Even Taj gave them up and he rips harder than this whole forum combined. Firewire = Newbies or old ****s trying to get an edge that doesn't exist.

10. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    agreed - EPS is second rate to poly in terms of performance. Buying for longevity just means you're probably going to be less than happy with your actual surfing (although I've never ridden a firewire or stretch. Maybe they're doing something the others aren't...doubt it).

Hydroflex "natural" (epoxy over poly core) is the only new thing that might sway me from standard poly boards...but I'm simply not willing to waste any more of my time on new tech that might be lower performance

I have ridden the pod: decent shape...rails are a little too fat, imo. These are standard poly, but I gotta warn you, the stock ones are disturbing lightly glassed. I'm older than you and my shoulders aren't great either, but over voluming doesn't really help in that area...you're better off improving your technique and catching waves smarter (going out at the right tide, sitting farther inside, mastering the "no paddle takeoff", etc).

Can't recommend firewire just because I feel my experience with eps/epoxy has been a waste of time. Going the pod route, I'd follow the CI board recommendation app (maybe add an inch) and maybe get a custom pod with a little extra glass

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  11. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    No experience with epoxy before the firewires but all I can say is wow. Super light, floaty for it's size, and has a springy lively feeling compared to poly. I never thought I would like that feeling but when I am able to catch the wave a second or so earlier it comes in handy.

12. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    the lack of weight was one of the main problems I had with eps/epoxy...the range of conditions it can function in are limited and speed/glide were diminished

13. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    def agree with Zippy on this, i can't speak to either of the boards your talking about because I haven't ridden either of them. But i have a sweet potato and am really impressed with it. You can go really small with these boards and still have enough float for an easy paddle. definitely recommend going slightly shorter than your initial gut instinct would tell you...you will be happier with the decision after buying, believe me.

14. skulldog

skulldog Active Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Who's the Drone basing your board on what the ASP is selling you. Get whatever feels right for you.

15. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    My guess is the springy lively feeling is the parabolic stringers, not the EPS foam or the Epoxy resin. Having the source of a boards liveliness (stringer) on the rails rather than down the middle always made a lot of sense to me. I mean when you load up the board on a turn your putting that pressure on the board's edge, not middle.

16. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    If you ride a board based on what others think of you, then yeah you could have that problem.

If you are secure with who you are as a person, you can ride any type of board and achieve the ultimate goal:

Happiness.

17. surfer1234

surfer1234 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Have a pod and its awesome, never tried firewire but very happy. Worked all winter/spring and now it is powering through the mush. Nice, versatile, fun board.

18. hobie78

hobie78 Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Thanks for the input fellas, appreciate it! With that said I think I'm gonna give the CI pod a go, as small as possible......and just sit further on the inside to compensate for my shoulder issues.