Stonger then the Storm?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by instantkarma, Jul 8, 2013.

1. instantkarma

instantkarma Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    New Jersey residents maybe \"stronger than the storm\", but it appears that some residents are not so intelligent. This decision could impact coastal communities, not just in New Jersey. <br /><br />\"But if the court sides with the Karans and the price they were awarded becomes a model for compensating other homeowners, the cost of future dune construction could become prohibitively expensive.\"<br /><br />http://www.newsworks.org//new-jerse...tched-dune-case&Itemid=248&linktype=hp_impact

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. kinggargantuan

kinggargantuan Member

Aug 17, 2010
    *than.

just sayin

3. slow96coupe

slow96coupe Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Wow you must he ejamacated

Sucks people are only thinking of themselves. It seems only the ones that truely enjoy the water are the ones that care

4. instantkarma

Oct 14, 2009
    My fault, fair enough.

5. bungalowparkbob

bungalowparkbob Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    At first I was under the impression that the municipalities were trying to establish a permanent right-of-way to accommodate all future dune projects. If that were the case, then a $375K settlement MAY be warranted depending on the property.

If these lunatics are receiving that kind of payment to offset their loss of property value based on the view alone, then I think everyone involved must be taking the same drugs Archy and Trevolution are!

6. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    I have two words for those who want to arm the coast to protect their property: Strategic Retreat

7. bungalowparkbob

bungalowparkbob Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
  8. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    i'm sorry but the stronger than the storm song is terrible

9. patgeds22

patgeds22 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    i have 2 words! aggressive expansion!

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    ^^^^^Thanks for the follow up, was curious to see how that case panned out...those Karans should have to walk the plank.

11. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I have not heard of this case before. So I just read the news article for the 1st...
    So did they lose part of their property or is their view just ruined from building a Dune?
    If they lost some of their property they should be paid...
    If they can't see the ocean because of a dune tough shiz

12. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    never followed that Harvey Cedars story, but those people... well lets just say if you want to live by the beach be prepared to die by the beach.

this whole 'stronger than the storm' sh*t phrase. c'mon! sounds like some idiotic Staten Island fist pumping crap. nothing is more powerful than the force of mother nature. I would not be surprised or sad if after all this rebuilding we get another storm to take it all down.

13. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    this is b/c idiotic transplants like these folks don't see any value in dunes! that's how they got knocked down in the first place. they buy property on an island they don't understand & only want what they want...a big, excessive house w/ a beautiful view. **** everyone else. if i lived on lbi & i sustained damage to my home or property b/c these people refused to sign an easement allowing a dune to be built, i'd sue them all the way to the poor house.
    i have *zero* patience w/ people who don't take the time to understand the oceanography & coastal geology involved here.

14. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I just saw the interview of Mrs Karans. Wow, she made some real ignorant comments. She basically was saying how making the beach wider is more important than making the dunes higher!!! What an idiot, having a sizable dune with trees is the most important part in preventing the ocean from breaching. These Karans are money hungry fools!

15. instantkarma

Oct 14, 2009
    +1. This is correct. The basic claim is the value of the ocean view is much greater then the value of the dune protection. Therefore, they should be paid the value difference. njsurfer is right, the problem with the claim is it base on the individual property. Communities that are near bodies of water need to look at the community as a system not individual plots of land. I know that ship has sailed, but the supreme court decision is a small win that will help the municipalities and engineers to make long term plans without paying out thousands to kooks who only care about themselves.

And with the early activity that we are seeing with TS Chantal I hope we don't get another test like Sandy so soon. I know we all like the swell, but i would much rather drop $2K and get OH surf in Oaxaca in August, then watch another Sandy. Which reminds me to start packing soon, 3 weeks of international travel coming up. Hopefully score.

16. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I agree, everytime I hear that damn commercial I laugh and think, "No, you are not stronger than a storm, you are at the mercy of Mother Nature.

While I laugh at the commercial, I want to clarify that I am not in any way finding humor in what happened to Jersey during Sandy. It could have easily hit my area and destroyed everything here

17. Ryan7

Ryan7 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2011
    More important to be "smarter than the storm" than stronger. Everybody is strong in this state, just look at the never-ending plastering of WOW stickers on every car. "Strong" is so yesterday people, come on already; Being Weak is in, and fashionably hip.

Now if the Supreme Court can only fix the Asbury Park Circle, we'll be on our way!:) I generally change the lyrics and sing, "Cause we're weaker than the norm, oh ooooooooooo, oooooooooo, oh, oooooo" driving on that out-dated of a go-cart track they call the "Asbury Park Circle.":confused:

Yes, for a $25 million marketing ad campaign, the song could be better, way better. Marketing at it's worst. A far better option would have been to go with something along these lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgQ5BJTSv9U Admit it, it's been way too long since you've heard this song.:rolleyes: This whole post was just a lame excuse to somehow link this song in.

Come on Chantal, send us some swell up here.

18. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Gov Christies belt is just barely stronger than his belly. Also, he's wearing a pink button down at the beach in those ads. Come on now! Where is the stone pony tee shirt?

* than

19. archy 2.0

archy 2.0 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    HAHAHAHA! Btw it's Gov. Krispy Kreme

20. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    to be honest with yall this is a win win situation for everyone, well at least here it would be, the replenishment of the beach destoys the surf and the dunes are awesome yet will help with coastal flooding who cares if millionaires lose they're views. if they are to ***** about compensation they do get tuff crap. they can walk the the beach in 20 seconds.