South Jersey

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by DomSurf, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DomSurf

DomSurf Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Does anyone even know of a place that can handle surf this big in south jerz? everytime it gets overhead it seems like its closing out in oc. Got any ideas?

2. eshore

eshore Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Depends on where the sandbars are

3. DomSurf

DomSurf Member

Sep 23, 2008
    yea i heard avalon handled the last solid swell we had real well... maybe the swell info guy has some ideas

4. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    ive seen oc nj handle some monster size before... gotta pick the right streets.

5. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Just be careful in OCNJ. There some heavily localized spots up there.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    The more straight on the swell, the better the chance it is going to be close-outs. Its going to be blown over the next few days anyway, and then for the weekend the swell should switch around more out of the SE. Different breaks will of course handle the swell differently, so best bet is to search around.

7. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    There is def spots that can hold huge swell..without closeouts. Have you ever surfed over reef or PB?.....I would ask around your local area....look for artificial reefs.....Rocks, Demolished Piers, Wreckage, sewage pipes...There def is a few spots out there. I know it sounds horrible but it's true. If your A game is up. That's where you'll want to be.

But, since you are asking this kind of question...you probably are not ready for kamikaze surfing. Just thought I'd answer your question.

8. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Very good reply. Also, listen to what 'SwellInfo' said. You can't always get your 'homebreak' good every swell... jump in the car and start driving different places.

9. DomSurf

DomSurf Member

Sep 23, 2008
    yea the reason i asked this question was because that last swell couple weeks ago with the overhead and offshore winds it seemed it was closing out quite a bit in oc at every beach. My friends in avalon and lbi and elsewhere said that it was peeling. I just didnt wanna get screwed out of a good swell again. But maybe swellinfo was right and the swell was too straight on for oc. ill be sure to make a few calls before heading out this weekend

10. A-FRaME-GaINES

A-FRaME-GaINES Well-Known Member

May 19, 2008
    wen in doubt head south....obx has an endless number of uncrowded breaks to check out

11. DomSurf

DomSurf Member

Sep 23, 2008
    haha yea i wish...i actually think it should be pretty good out here. The models are showing some offshore winds on sunday and some seriously swell so lets keep our fingers crossed...