Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by DawnPatrol321, Jun 19, 2013.

1. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks dude, btw I tried responding to your PM a while back but it said you didn't have an account or something strange.

2. Lee

Lee Member

Sep 20, 2011
    just go,you wont be second guessing your life in 10 years.pursue your dreams.

3. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks Lee, we're definitely going

4. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Good luck! I used to drive down to Cocoa Beach and surf the areas around the pier. I haven't done it in a couple of years, but once my daughter gets a little older, I plan on taking the family and roadtripping down the Florida east coast. There are different spots to surf, fish, kayak, etc.

Send me a PM if you ever visit the Jacksonville area.

5. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    ever since I was a kid,i wanted to live near the water.well I live near the water for the past 8yrs and I wish I could move inland.first off,hurricanes.i live in nj,we don't usually get hit by hurricanes,but ever since sandy its not worth it unless your loaded and can afford to rebuild.9 out of 10 houses in my neighborhood have been raised,mine being the one that isn't.you need to learn all the loopholes with homeowner insurance.if you don't have "contents" and u get flooded,they only help with sheetrock and tiles.my brothers 3level house had the whole 1st floor totaled.stuff like waterheaters,refridge,wash n dryer aren't covered.my brother had a 67 mustang in the garage hes been restoring for the past 6yrs.he spent over 30grand,and now that car is in a scrapyard somewhere.30grand worth of snapon tools gone.he was royally screwed.

also is summer traffic.it can take an hr to get to wawa 3 lights up that normally takes 4min to get to.i would move atleast 20miles inland.you can always drive to the beach,but when u live 3blocks from the beach and your truck,house,and gear is destroyed,and the towns flooded in,you cant get to the beach

6. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Dang man, that really sucks for your bro, hate to hear that. Yeah, we're not moving directly on the beach, just over the bridge, 10-15 minutes to my favorite spots

7. Indirect

Indirect Active Member

Apr 22, 2013
    ^ His favorite spots are terrible and will kill you. :p

8. Dudicles

Dudicles Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I am just seeing a couple of those replies and no matter what you say I am convinced the Braveheart quote made you move.

9. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Oh without a doubt, that's all i needed to hear honestly HAHA

10. sonfollowerssurf

sonfollowerssurf Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Nice to know we will be neighbors and I will hook you up with the ins and outs to 16th Street Cocoa Beach.

11. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Wayne I appreciate your offer, been going to Cocoa for 17 years, so i'm rather familiar w/the area, actually, we may have even met once, I got approached on the beach and was asked if I had a relationship with J.C., I said yes but thanked you for your concern and went surfing. This was probably 4-5 years ago, just out front of the big Zion Church, it was a big day if I recall...

12. sonfollowerssurf

sonfollowerssurf Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    You know the drill then and you know what were about. Need fellowship we have at 24/7. Was not me I use a different approach if yah know what I mean.

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    I hear ya, maybe a free surfboard will do the trick? I kid i kid

14. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Best of luck to you and your family. Post some photos when you get an chance, and enjoy!

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks SISD, definitely will, one of these days we'll all run into each other i'm sure

16. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Get to the shore. Before it's too late. If you don't put up the fight now and express how important all of this is to you, it will be too late in the future. Once the kids come and the mortgage. There is nothing wrong with rolling the dice a little bit and giving it a try. Leave on good terms with your current employer and if worst comes to worst, you come back home in a year or so... I made a huge move after college from inland maryland to San Diego because i just couldn't keep living away from the beach. This past year, I packed up the wife, my daughter, my pets and everything and relocated everything from the beach in San Diego, right to the beach on Hilton Head Island... Less waves, but we have family here and I am still right on the water. 15 minute walk to the beach or a 5 minute bike ride... I took a small pay cut to do it, but a year later, I am looking at properties to buy and am very happy that we rolled the dice. I wont have ridiculous 3 months stretches of surfing everyday.... But I had to put up this fight for a long time, and I am glad I did. If I wasnt persistent in my pursuit of the ocean, I would probably be in Baltimore or D.C. working and not being very stoked on life.

Do it and do it now... You dont want to spend the rest of your life wondering what if... Or just "settling". Life is too short to settle. The wife will understand. It may take time, but she will. You can't wait until you are retired and took weak at the knees to even surf well anymore to live your life. There is more to life than money and careers. We all gotta eat. We all have families to support or raise. But find a decent beach town with a good economy and do it. And if you find out you were a happier couple back inland, then head back... No harm. No foul.

17. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    I think that many people outside the areas affected by Sandy don't really understand and are aware of what happened; and that people, homes, and businesses are still suffering from it.
    The points you made about living near the water are food for thought. I too wanted to live closer to the ocean or down by the Gulf, and this has been a dream of mine for retirement. We already live 16 miles away from the various VB beaches, which isn't bad. But closer proximity to the waterfront does add issues when it comes to crowds & crime in some areas, storms, flooding, cost of real estate, insurances, sand on and in everything, deterioration and maintenance of property, etc. Like you said, "you can always drive to the beach".
    Still....

18. tubesock

tubesock Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    St Augustine is a great town, I have a buddy who lives there now (like four years at this point) and good Lordy is it cheap, even compared to a lot of inland places like Baltimore where I live. I could sell my house here and pay cash for one six blocks from the beach there, with an extra hundred g's in my pocket.......IF ONLY. You know, same ol same ol, lots of impediments at age 45 with wife kids career family rental properties, the list goes on. Go forth young single man, so some of us can live vicariously through you!

19. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, rock / reef is your friend!

20. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    is it a reasonable commute from st aug to jacksonville?