Board Quiver vs. Wetsuit Quiver

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by SHREDSLED, Aug 30, 2013.

1. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Just curious, do you guys own more boards or wetsuits?

I am currently tied at 5 boards (not counting beater), 5 wetsuits.

One of my suits is an old busted leaky 3/2 that I had to replace but still keep around for warmer days when I don't mind the leaks, another is a shortie that I've had since I was 16 (now 29). Others are usual suspects. I just bought the 5th board recently so until then my wetsuit quiver was bigger.

2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I have 4 boards I currently ride, I have a Rip Curl Dawn Patrol 3/2 full suit, 2:1 O'Neill Hammer Spring suit, long sleeve Hyperflex neoprene surf shirt, O'Neil Hammer wetsuit shorts (like half a spring suit), one pair of Xcel gloves, and one Xcel hood w/brim to throw on w/the 3:2 when necessary. I also have a pair of Quicksilver compression shorts that I wear under my shorts. That about covers it. Technically more boards that actual suits.

4. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    7 or 8 boards, 3 suits. Ready to retire one of the suits, actually, and have this nervous twitch about actually pulling the trigger on a hooded R3 this year...

5. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    3 suits, 10 boards.

But my wetsuit collection will continue to stay at 1 once I blow through my current suits. I plan to keep 1 4 mil for the winter down here and by May I am out of Rubber completely until about november. I could get by with a nice 3 mil, but I prefer warmth even though the water temps were only on the low 50s at its lowest point.

In CA i wore a wetsuit basically year round unless there was hot weather in August. But a 3 and a 4 mil will get you through a whole year. Anything more than that is just luxury i suppose.

6. es-dot

es-dot Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    4 suits 4 boards

7. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    4 suits, a vest and 9 boards... only 6 ride-able, 2 wall hangers, 1 major rebuild project.

8. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    2 suits, 4 boards. One suitis just an extra I grew out of. I keep it for friends to borrow and because I keep hoping ill shed the pounds and get back into it.

9. SHREDSLED

SHREDSLED Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Hmmm I think I need to go out and buy some new boards boards to adjust my board:wetsuit ratio. Clearly it is out of wack.

10. MrMacdugal

MrMacdugal Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Having more boards is necessary. There are lots of different types of waves which may require a different weapon. But when battling temperature, there are about 3 stages of cold battling suits you need to own... Depending on your geographical location.(but you guys already know that) Here is New Hammy/Mass I have 3 suits and 7 boards. But I'm always willing to add another board. The wetsuit always seems to be an afterthought for me, until I got rashes all over my neck and knees. Hate my winter suit, but love winter surfing. Its time for an upgrade, thanks for the reminder

11. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Gotcha beat...I have a shorty from when I was 14 and I'm now 33. Growing in any direction is over rated. The shorty get's used 3 times a year up here. Other than that, I have a POS 3/2 and a great 4/3 w/ detachable hood. So 3 suits with only 2 boards. Looking for a deal on a winter suit and another board that can be used in most conditions (fish/potato/stump).

12. Uncle Irish

Uncle Irish Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    3 boards that I use, 2 fish and an LB. Wetsuits: 5/4 Drylock, two 3/2s, Longsleeve Springsuit, 2/1 Shirt.

13. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    4 boards, 3 wetsuits.

14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    5 boards, 3 suits

15. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    3 boards one old school metal helmet dry suit.

16. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I had 3 wetsuits,just throw my old oneill away,it was one of those funky colored ones from the 80s.the arms were like wizard sleeves.now im down to a 3/2 and a 4/3.i have 5 boards,3 of which need ding repair or ductape for the massive holes in them.i went out without a leash in jan,board got pounded up against the rocks.my summerboard had a cinderblock fall on it during sandy.the only board I have that's ready to go is a 8'3 longboard that doesn't fit in the fukin car.everytime I tie something down I get the feeling its going to fly off and kill someone.so I try to only go out when I can ride my 6'2

17. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have 5 or 6 boards only ride 2 though. I have 6 suits including tops and full suits.

18. Zman9398

Zman9398 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    4 board.
    Longboard,
    Groveler,
    Step up,
    Shortboard

2 wetsuits
    3/2
    2/2 with short arms and full legs
    Boots and gloves

But I don't surf in the winter

19. surfthewall11

surfthewall11 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
  20. jml7140

jml7140 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    13 boards including 4 that I never use but just cant bring myself to sell. Including a new to me 6' cb bumblebee bonzer that rvb was kind enough to ship. 4 suits. 5/4, 4/3, 2 - 3/2s. Moved from md to nc so im prob gonna get rid of the 5/4 and pick up another 3/2 to replace the 11 yr old excel infiniti that is full of holes and I wear when the water is warm enough for a shorty cause I just cant bring myself to wear one of those things.