Costa Rica This November

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by yourdirtymomma, Sep 28, 2013.

1. yourdirtymomma

yourdirtymomma Well-Known Member

May 2, 2012
    Anyone want to go to Costa Rica this November? I am looking to make my first trip but have no travel partner. It would be a bit cheaper and a little safer with another person.

Any one in.....no just dreaming?

2. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    not saying costa rica isn't good in nov, because it probably is, but nov is good pretty much everywhere in the northern hemi. Gonna be more difficult to get someone to leave their local when it's still relatively warm but with the beginning of winter swells and uncrowded...if it was dec or later, then yeah

3. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    Are you saying you are in for December?

4. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    If you're concerned about costs, go 2 weeks after Easter. Catch a cab to playa hermosa, Jaco, and stay at the Cabinas Vista Hermosa (or camp). killer break out front, bar next door, plenty of good breaks within walking or hitch hiking distance. go alone if you have to.

5. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    I'm checking it out now. thanks!

6. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Half the country gets off for a week for Easter (Semana Santa) and everyone that had to work that week gets the next. and the kids go back to school.
    my pic used to be on the office wall. I was between the owner Miguel and his son Ronnie. the son put the caption,"bad boys club".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  7. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    november? Go to Puerto Rico. Costa is best april- august

8. surfcosta.com

surfcosta.com Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2008
    surfcosta.com

late november is one of my favorite times of they year in CR, usually the transition from rainy season to dry season. still plenty of swell, everything is still lush from the rainy season, yet beautiful sunny days. we are in Esterillos Oeste, about 15 minutes from Jaco.

if you need more info feel free to email me.

rvb@surfcosta.com

9. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Hey it's Yourdirtymother..........I'll be damned.

10. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    wrong-o-mary lou

11. yourdirtymomma

May 2, 2012
    SJB or should I say PJB! I miss you brother! Things have been really screwed up for the last 6 months or so.....sorry i haven't been chatting you up. But we should reconnect. Hit me up on FB or email when you have time. I love you man!

12. Lunalucere

Lunalucere New Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Hello there, this is really random but I have been desperately searching for another girl to go to Costa Rica with. I am looking into the Jaco area. I have also found a home to move into literally 5 minutes to the beach in a safe area. I do not know the person, but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had a travel buddy to count on. If you are at all serious, I am very ready to make the trip happen, please feel free to respond!!!

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    As far as waves go, I've been there in November, December, January, February, as well as July & August & September. The surf was consistent regardless of time of year. I encountered overhead, clean conditions in December & January. This was on the Guanacaste peninsula.

I don't know about the mary lou thing, that might be something special between you two shreddahz(!).

14. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    not saying that you won't find waves. I'm saying that the waves are best/biggest in the summer because that is the window for big south swells. You can surf chest high at home, travel for the juice.

take it from someone more credible: http://www.surfline.com/travel/index.cfm?id=2979

15. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    i'll be there in nov but for my honeymoon..

16. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    I am going to CR in November . . . but on a corporate philanthropy trip to the mountains.:confused: No surfing. I have been in mid winter and in spring (around semana santa) and I have to say, the midwinter is a little tamer . . . April was bombing.

17. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Don't worry if you can't find someone to go with you. Every time I have been down there I have met at least one friend in which I stay in touch with from either Costa or around the world! I've met people on the plane that ended up spending the whole time with down there.

Actually you will probably be better off going by yourself.

If you end up going up north toward Guanacaste there is a little town called Playa Grande. Its right on the beach just north across the river from Tamarindo. Some friends of mine own a beautiful two story place right on the beach (with pool) They live in the top story and the bottom is divided in to two rentals. This is one of those places that once you stay there you will be dreaming about it during your work day for the rest of your life! Their names are Allen and Kathy and their place is called "Villa de la Roca". They also have a car, bikes, surfboards etc.... in which you can utilize while down there. If you walk out the double french, screen doors of your room there is a beautiful porch with hammocks, captains beds and a nice peninsula style bar. While sitting on the porch your view is that of a little white picket fence with a couple of mango trees that outline your picturesque view of perfect waves breaking on the reef! Just to the north is a huge rock about 75' - 100' feet tall that sits on the reef. For those that have the cahones there is a little steep path that goes up the rock and leads to the top. Bring a spliff and a few beers because you are going to watch the most killer sunset you have ever seen in your life!

Sorry, didn't mean to get carried away there..... Here is a link to their place and in the first picture is the rock!

http://www.vrbo.com/4280

18. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    A solo mission would be sick, that would be my vote, nobody to hold you back from doing exactly what it is you want to do, no compromising , no worries...

19. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
  20. waterbaby

Oct 1, 2012
    from my experience, there's more sideshore and onshore wind in CR summer than not...add the torrential rains that keep you inside most of the day and the ocean temp is almost uncomfortably warm. The size can definitely be bigger (if you catch it on a good swell), but, imo, shape is everything.

that rock is very dangerous. I saw a dude slide down the path and almost fall off the edge to the rocks below. Getting drunk and/or stoned up there would be pretty stupid.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013