Capitan Cero

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by mushdoc, Sep 28, 2013.

1. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    For those of you that still like to read an actual book...as opposed to the 30 second attention span that is afforded to things like youtube,words with friends,facebook etc.

I highly recommend reading 'In Search of Captain Zero' by Allan C. Weisbecker.

This is a terrific story in every aspect. I have no idea how much he may have exaggerated or embellished his exploits as he travels through his various adventures...and I don't care. It is a riveting read.

I am pretty sure that someone mentioned this title in another thread sometime back. I want to pass on my thanks to you.

For those that want to just "wait for the movie to come out" , there is hope of that happening in the near future. Apparently this book was optioned for a movie by Sean Penn.

2. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Dude, no movie.............

Allen or Allan...whatever his name is...........well, him and Sean didn't get along too well.

Sean's a drug abuser.......I said "abuser" not addict........there's a difference..........And Sean's a little full of himself...

Apparently the Irish movie mogul and the Jewish writer didn't get along............As Allan said, " There's no movie in this book." I disagree, but it would take somebody more special and deep than Sean Penn to do it correctly. Sean, never "optioned the book" many moons ago..... Actually, they never came to an agreement. There will not be a movie.......by Penn, at least, anytime soon.

Sean was Jeff Spicoli and no matter how douchey he may be now..........that was the best character in any movie .......EVER. LIKE EVER........And Mr. Penn did that character some justice.........I hate "actors, but that role was SPOT-ON. Ahhh Cullifornia in the early 1980's.............

THE BOOK - friggin rules. If you are literate, and like to surf.....and are intrigued by the adventure of surfing, get the book. Read it. And get Why Can't You Get Along With Anybody, too. The dude can write, and is totally interesting.

The dude is for real.........he's a former marijuana smuggler - back in the glory days of Colombian runs - and he ain't no fake. Well, he has done crazy stuff and is a real surfer. But he does suffer from, " I'm friggin great and not enough people know that" syndrome, and a mild opiate abuse problem. BUT, that doesn't matter, because ALLAN is the Sh!T !!

Kind of down-to-earth, too.

I was going crazy at one point, circa 2005, and was banished to Northern Virginia in an attempt to keep me away from Camden and Philly. I was not a happy camper, and even started to drink cough syrup.............

I emailed Allan, and he responded every time. I give him huge credit for that...........His book, Capitan Cero, actually may have motivated me, a bit, to become a normal person............

He's a brillant guy, who has done more adventurism than any of us.........yet he hasn't got the full credit he deserves because he kept it "real." He wrote to a surfing audience, besides his Miami Vice days............

"Tylenol 3's," Marlboros, and his ego keep him down.........And the realization that his glory days are over.........The dude used to live a really friggin adventurous life.......and now it's all over..........Hey, I don't blame the dude....I hope he's alright.........

Dog fur.....furry dog.........downtown muttucks.........ya heard?

3. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Step up to the plate, Billy... eff Penn, fuhgeddaboudit....you could be the movie ...

And, yeah, agreed, great read.

4. Pursuitofhappiness

Pursuitofhappiness Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I really enjoyed the book. A little out there and a bit self-aggrandizing, but adventurous nonetheless. Couldn't help but be mind-driving that Ford truck/camper with a dog and boards in tow to the next epic surf spot.

5. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i prefer his first book, "cosmic banditos", but that's just me. 'in search of captain zero" is good, but "can't you get along w/ anyone?" comes across as more than a bit paranoid, as does most of what he's written since. this includes his emails to his email list.

6. mbs05c

mbs05c Active Member

May 15, 2011
    I read somewhere that John Cusack is trying to make Cosmic Banditos into a movie.

7. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    That's because he's slipping, man. He is totally paranoid. But it's fun to watch(read). The dude was living Hollywood for awhile. Then bagged it. Then he was living in Central America. He lost most of his pals and his ego took a huge blow when his much younger girlfriend was exposed as a prostitute.........who didn't charge any money. His world crumbled and the paranoia and isolation took over......

Now that's all based on the assumption that he tells the truth.......I don't know. Maybe he never even went to Mexico or lived in Costa Rica........I don't know..........

8. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    AW is off the deep end for sure... but the movie tanked because AW hated Stacey Peralta.

Cusak doing cosmic banditos could actually work...

9. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    While reading zero there was a part of me that had some doubts about how much was real or just made up. In the end, the fantasy of making that kind of trip had so much appeal that I just gave in to it. If you love surf and travel then this is where its at. Add some pure escapism and...hell I am about ready to pack up head out.

10. bassplayer

bassplayer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2012
    It made me want to put a camper on a pickup and GO

11. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Exactly my thoughts, too...

As a former journalist (my first degree in Journalism from Rutgers), I always loved this from AW...

"If you’re one of those non-writers who has said, or has thought of saying, or is capable of saying, “I’m going to write a book someday,” or “I could write a book,” ... with the imparted image of your forehead bleeding while you stare at the blank page, you’ll shut the **ck up. "