Gmo petition

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by santiago58, Sep 29, 2013.

1. santiago58

santiago58 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Then don't buy the sh$the instead of trying to force the rest of us to agree with your position.

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Pumpmaster, it is not as easy as just not buying it... which is the whole point of that petition..so citizens have the ability to make the choice whether or not they want to buy and consume the GMOs. It is rather difficult (and somewhat expensive if buying all organic) to avoid GMOs in our country. The labeling would aid consumers in avoiding the poison...

I understand if people don't want to sign it.. but at the very least those who are unfamiliar should educate ones self on what exactly is going on here. If someone is aware of the threats and hazards of GMOs, but still does not care- then that is willful ignorance.

4. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If you sign it you will be the best surfer in the would..

. slaterGMO.jpg

5. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks for the link. I signed it.

6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    That rascal Archy oughta be dropping in any moment now...

7. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    No one knows the real hazards, which I believe is the real issue with GMO.

8. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Lol contrails. As I sit here and look up at the clear blue sky, I see no signs of any jets.

9. OldSoul

Nov 7, 2011
    There have been stuides done with lab rats/mice as well as pigs that show the harmfulness of GMO feed.
    http://www.naturalnews.com/040727_gmo_feed_severe_inflammation_pig_stomachs.html

Other hazards include the cross-pollination of GMO plants to non GMO plants... which is happening now. The **** will spread all over..
    http://singularityhub.com/2013/07/0...t-escapes-into-oregon-fields-lawsuits-follow/

Cant control the weather (some would argue, as would I too, to an extent) so if your field is down wind of a GMO crop...you can get contaminated...and not even know unless you get your crops tested. These issues along with the fact that we really have no idea of the long term affects on humans should be enough to want to stop the madness.

10. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    If we don't geneticly modify food how do you propose we keep up with demand? More people - less farms requires greater production. My point is this, the answer isn't as easy as stop using GMOs.

11. billabongmoney

billabongmoney Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2008
    "The first type of argument lump "chemicals", "GMO's", "pesticides" and "herbicides" together. I'll bet that most of them don't even know the difference between the various terms. Hence, their arguments can be discarded, because in essence they don't know what they're talking about.
    Another popular argument is that "we do not know what the consequences of GMOs are". The people who argue from this direction then modify their original statement into "GMOs are bad for us because we do not know what harm they cause." It is essentially saying "Your son will be taller than most because we do not know how tall he will grow" Hence, they have employed logical fallacies and their arguments must be ignored to avoid waste of time from reading trash.
    A third popular kind of argument is citing 1 particular thing that is "bad" about GMOs, as if natural foods do not have those kinds of drawback. Obviously, the supporters of this kind of argument do not know what they are talking about either (you'll be lucky if they have a even rudimentary understanding of the drawback they cited)
    The fourth kind of argument is the conspiracy theory type, which obviously should be ignored, but can be read if you feel like laughing at the argument's stupidity."http://www.debate.org/opinions/are-genetically-modified-foods-beneficial

12. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Naturalnews is a bs site.

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    We're screwed. Between the NSA, ever-higher taxes & BigAgra, we're all just plain screwed.

14. OldSoul

Nov 7, 2011
    Hey man.. chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, GMO's and insecticides (you missed that last one) SHOULD be lumped together. Because they ARE a problem. Look at what is happening to the bee population. Look at the run off from these products (mostly petroleum based) that are staying in the soil and polluting the planet. The people who spray and apply these products to crops need to where masks and even full suits to protect them from contact/inhalation..but it is safe for us to eat and safe for the environment?

Your "son will be taller" example is pretty far out and doesn't really relate to what your trying to prove...but, who would want to be consuming anything that has unknown effects on our bodies?? That is the argument. Many people would not like to be unwilling eating Monsanto's science experiments. I presume you would not like to ingest something unnatural or man-made with out consent- especially if there are many unknowns that can inversely effect your health..

There is not just one bad thing, there are many. And to boot, there are really no benefits. It wont feed populations who are starving to death..they do not yield better harvest. They create super bugs and have pesticides/insecticides built into their gene structure which ends up in your body... the list goes on.

The bottom line, if you guys skipped all that above, is that who wouldn't want to know what they were eating? Even if you are for the GMOs, why not label them and eat them at your leisure. Why do we need to play a guessing game with our health when we do not need to?

Brewengineer : Here is the Huffingtopost on the same topic...if this site is more credible in your eyes...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/11/gmo-feed-pigs_n_3423494.html

15. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Any site is more credible than naturalnews.
    GMO and pesticide needs to be separate. Two very different things.

16. OldSoul

Nov 7, 2011
    hahaha naturalnews have some interesting articles...but GMO and pesticides are correlated and can be discussed in unison. Anyway, can we get your opinion? I want to hear what you have to say about this topic... do you mind not knowing what is going on with your food? Do you find my arguments and points valid at all? Do I make a little sense?

17. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    My govt gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. They protect me from harm and would not do anything underhanded or misleading. I do not need to read nothin and I worry about nuthin.

18. brewengineer

Jun 22, 2011
    Most of the food I buy now a days is local. It isn't because I am afraid, I just like giving my money to the small farms that don't thrive on government subsidizing. I have stated my opinion on GMO many times here. I think more testing needs to be performed and more studies. The general public has been feeding on it for years, so the data just needs to be collected. I don't care about labeling, if enough data shows it to be no more harmful than heirloom crops. It is pointless to label things right now. Pesticides are a whole different discussion and share no similarities to GMO. If you are afraid of pesticides, just purchase organic foods. I am more worried about the bee population being destroyed by GMO or pesticides, than I am about those things causing any harm to humans.

19. Dyldo

Dyldo Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    The point of the petition isn't to make them stop using GMOs. It's to make them label foods when they are used in the product.

20. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    What's happening to the bee population?