Weak glass?

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by Hash Slinging Slasher, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Hash Slinging Slasher

Hash Slinging Slasher Active Member

May 8, 2013
    Yesterday I hit my head on the nose of my board and cracked off the very tip of it. This is the first time I've ever done something like that so I don't know if that's what usually happens. Is it? I just feel like I'm always getting little cracks in the glass from hardly anything and now there's this too. I try to be careful and this stuff still happens and it's really frustrating and annoying. Oh, and it's a DHD if anyone has any info on their glass. Also, who are some shapers or brands that make surfboards that are on the more durable side?

2. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Sorry to hear about your board, dude. Most of those performance shortboards have a pretty light glass job. Your best bet is to take it to your local shaper for some extra reinforcement on high pressure areas, like the nose and tail. You might want to look into a custom for your next board. Get a nice thick glass job with a deck patch. Personally, I find that polished boards are more durable than matte finishes.

3. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Listen to this man, not only is he the most interesting man in the world he knows his glass. Polished is def more durable. I prefer and know Dlrouen has also used Eavey in Wilmington NC. I know thats a little far for you but I'm sure there are glassers in your area that can do the same quality work. I banged my quad fish into the metal corner of my buddies table one day last year, on the rail too which is a very weak are, put a little spider web about the size of a dime in the glass but did not go all the way through. If that had been a moder style board with thin glass layer and matte finish it would have busted all the way to the foam.

http://eaveysurfboards.blogspot.com/

4. Greenlight

Greenlight Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2008
    It is common for mass produced boards to have a "deck patch" going only 3/4s the length of the board and a single layer of 4 oz glass to the tip. The goal is to save weight but it makes it weak. Makes the glass shop like $3 a board more profit too..
    We do a ton of ding repairs for snapped noses because of this glassing practice on big name surfboard brands.
    Also, when glass shops get behind with production, they'll kick the resin fast which makes it weaker and brittle.
    I assume your DHD is a PU/PE construction.
    Epoxy resin is 5X stronger (don't be confused with an "EPOXY" popout board) and with a proper glass job that nose break would have been a small pressure ding at most.
    Polyurethane cores with epoxy lamination are becoming more popular these days for those still resistant to learn to ride EPS cores...

~Brian
    www.greenlightsurfsupply.com
    Shape Your Surfing Experience

5. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    That sucks, rcarter! If it makes you feel any better, I landed a nice spider crack on the rail of my 9'2" just last week. I was rushing out the door and my nose swung around and caught the edge of a door. Take your time when handling your boards!

Hey, Brian, can you shine any (green) light on polished vs matte finishes?

6. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    That was the same thing I did. Spent the night in Wilm at my buddies, woke up checked Surfchex cam, looked sweet, hurrying to get out the door and bam right in to the table. Luckily it's still water tight. I seem to remember the dif between the matte and gloss is the final treatment that adds shine and strength but hopefully Brian can greenlighten us on the subject.

7. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    maybe it's like a modern car and has a crumple zone?

8. Hash Slinging Slasher

May 8, 2013
    So what I'm getting from here is that performance boards can suck it, at least from bigger name brands. Better bets would be local shapers, smaller brands, or epoxy boards. Just to get things clear, when I think of epoxy boards I think of something like a Firewire. Is that right?

9. delawaredell

delawaredell Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2009
    I like comparing the local shapers to craft brewers. They have to work to make a good product to stay in business. if you say durability is important, they will do a better glass job, and make harder rails, etc. Phil Taylor is here in Salisbury, long way from you, but i believe he is shipping/driving boards up that way. I take care of my boards, but in the year I've had two of his boards, I don't have a single crack or ding in them. Pressure dents, but can't stop that. You also cut out the extra cost that surf shops throw on top if you go custom, and you get it EXACTLY how you want it. Lastly, guys like Phil will even do most ding repair for free. I always mention phil bc that's who I use, but I'm sure there are great shapers around you too.
    You might not want a rock solid board though, good thing the board broke, not your head.

10. Hash Slinging Slasher

May 8, 2013
    Very true, but I'd rather have something that's stronger than egg shells.

11. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    "..... if you go custom, and you get it EXACTLY how you want it......"

I think he about summed it up with this line.

12. shorepoints

shorepoints Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    A gloss coat is not stronger than a sanded finish. Gloss resin is purely cosmetic. There is no reinforcement (fiberglass) in it. It adds weight and gives the sander/polisher something to make shiny without hitting weave. You are probably just thinking gloss is stronger because most glossed boards (longboards etc.) have heavier glass jobs to begin with. It's the weight of the glass and number of layers that makes the board strong. That and certainly as Brian said Epoxy Resin is stronger and less likely to delam/crack/spider crack than polyester resin.

13. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    The general rule with surfboards and just about anything else performance related:

Cheap | Light | Durable

Pick any two you want.

Wayne might not agree but that is the TRUTH!

14. rcarter

Jul 26, 2009
    While that may be true that there is no fiberglass to reinforce it it does add an extra layer of glass that is not sanded and therefore more structurally sound before it punches through to the foam. My gloss coat board is a 5'10" so it is not a longboard but is def heavier than a modern sanded finish shortboard and much harder to chip, ding or break. To the OP modern finish boards are not "crap" but they are designed to be lighter and like was stated anything lighter tends to be weaker. It's a trade off and only you can find your happy medium. I will say I have snapped 5 "potato" chip boards and 0 gloss finished ones.

15. K.C.

K.C. Active Member

Jun 23, 2011
    A lot of the boards made overseas/mass produced have garbage glass jobs. Look for a signature on the bottom of your board.

16. escsurfer

escsurfer Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    My Phil Taylor longboard I rode over a boulder surfing Montauk on a new moon low tide, slight pressure dent on the bottom NO real damage! I was sure it would be ripped open! Durable boards make a world of difference!

17. Hash Slinging Slasher

May 8, 2013
    Ok, so people have been saying epoxy boards are stronger, but I just remembered that the Haydenshapes fiberflex boards use epoxy resin and EPS core and I've heard people say that those ding really easily, sooooooo...

18. shorepoints

shorepoints Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Are you sure your 5'10" Glossed board isn't glassed with heavier/more glass, ie 6oz? I get that an extra layer of resin adds a bit of physical buffer from the glass itself, but it's proven that the strongest resin/glass ratio is 50/50, so adding a gloss coat on top of a good sanded hotcoat gives no strength benefit, and the impact resistance is negligible (gloss resin is pretty soft so it can polish out easily). The gloss will give you a little more physical buffer and waterproofness, but at the cost of noticeable weight.

If you want more strength in a shortboard, go with more/heavier glass, rather than a gloss coat.

19. Dawn_Patrol

Dawn_Patrol Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2007
    This ^^^
    Gloss = appearance
    Glass = strength

20. Bass2mouth

Bass2mouth Member

Sep 20, 2013
    buy a surftech. tough as nails