It's alive. Oh, it's alive, it's alive! IT'S ALIVE! Dr. Frankensteins Surfboard Lab..

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by BSnyder, Oct 20, 2013.

1. BSnyder

BSnyder Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    So anybody who knows me, I always have surfboard projects in various stages of completion. This year is no different. So I thought I would post some photo's of this years projects. All of these boards I glued, hand-shaped, airbrushed, and glassed. Many started as one thing and became an other.

Dissect Series

A couple of years ago, I began a new project. I started to cut up some perfectly good surfboard blanks. Cutting and re-gluing them into an entirely different shape than they were intended to be. I began to call these boards "Dissects". As in dissecting them into pieces. Just like that frog you cut up in Biology class. Only I put them back together. For example, some started out as a long-board blank, and became a gun instead. Others were a gun blank and became a fish.

Missing from this thread are, Race Paddleboard, Asymmetrical s, Agave boards. Maybe another thread. When I find time, I'll add more photo's. Way more at my website.
    Barry Snyder
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.com Glue1.jpg misc 007.jpg misc 021.jpg misc 035.jpg WPF project 026.jpg

2. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Interesting. Are you using parts of the profiles from each board you are taking from in the "Dissects"?

I would really love to see some of your Agave boards as well. I know Linden has been making them and they look awesome.

3. Jai-Guru

Jai-Guru Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    thinking outside the box...very cool.:rolleyes:

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've followed your design philosophy on minis with great success. So... thanks for that. Always interested in what your take is on things, Barry...

5. BSnyder

Oct 20, 2013
    One of my newest passions is the use of Agave cactus. By far the most difficult material I've ever shaped. However, it is the most beautiful and rewarding. My wood shop teacher from High School would be so proud. I have spent the last 8-9 years perfecting my wood working skills to produce the most beautiful wood boards I can build. It is the same plant used for making Tequila. I utilize the stalk which grows at the end of the plants life. Agave has many varieties. The "Blue" Agave produces the biggest stalk. Many of the boards I've built from this wood actually grows on my property. Homegrown surfboards. In my shop, I have a small wood shop for cutting and gluing this wood. I utilize Agave as solid Wood boards, Stringers, Rails, Fins and nose & tail blocks.
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.com Agaves 005.jpg Agaves 018.jpg Boards 139.jpg Bonzer Sm..jpg DSCN0478.jpg
    More coming soon.

6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Makes way more sense then a Roy sturt board

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Keerist, yes.

And chucka-boo-boo should take notes from Barry & remain silent, all at the same time.

Great lookin' boards, Barry, kudos to a craftsman creating (highly) functional art.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  8. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Those Agave boards look bad a**. Have you ridden the gun yet? That twinzer looks very fun.

9. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    cool agave boards. how do they ride? are they durable enough for constant surfing or is it more of an artsy/nich board?

10. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm wondering if a stalk from a Century Plant (American Agave) is workable. I saw a couple blooming this year and it got me thinking....

11. Cuck Taylor

Cuck Taylor Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    There's some conversation of this on tree to sea. I've never known about agave and how it can work with surfboards. Very cool man.
    Your living room is nicely decorated too.

12. BSnyder

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the cool comments.
    Agave is very difficult to work with however, it is also the most rewarding.
    It is definitely not as buoyant as a foam board.
    I have not ridden the gun. It is for sale in my little showroom at the shop.
    Agave plants have been given the common name "Century Plant" because of their blooming habit. The idea is that the plants live for 100 years, bloom and die. While it is true that Agave are monocarpic, meaning they bloom once and then die, few species, if any, take a full 100 years to do this. When an Agave does bloom, it sends up a large flower stalk out of the center of the plant that grows very quickly. The height of the bloom stalk is often many times higher than the plant. This often catches people by surprise when the Agave they were growing in their garden for years, suddenly and rapidly goes through this transformation. This is often when they try to identify and learn more about their plant.
    I harvest this wood directly from my yard.
    It is that stalk that I craft my boards from.
    I have ridden this fish for several years.
    Boards 140.jpg
    Barry Snyder
    http://barrysnyderdesigns.com

Attached Files:

13. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Barry. I kinda figured the fish would be the ticket. Who's da master? Sho nuf! That looks like a blast from the past with a very soulful look/feel. Bravo bro!

14. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    Barry so do you build it like a hollow chambered balsa board ?

15. S2Kreative

S2Kreative Well-Known Member

May 27, 2006
    ...knows you look like Jesse James.

[​IMG]

16. BSnyder

Oct 20, 2013
    No. Most are solid.
    Wood is so light, chambers are not needed.
    The fish has some chambering done. Sunk my heel through the deck once.
    Definitely the most difficult wood I have worked with.
    [video=youtube;jDDIFiipIyE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDDIFiipIyE[/video]

17. Cuck Taylor

Jul 6, 2013
    That's great. How soft is the stuff ? You put you heel through a chambered one so it's gotta be pretty soft right. So agave isn't a tree or is it ? It looks like plant fibers or something

18. BSnyder

Oct 20, 2013
    Chiefly Mexican, agaves are also native to the southern and western United States and central and tropical South America. They are succulents with a large rosette of thick, fleshy leaves, each ending generally in a sharp point and with a spiny margin; the stout stem is usually short, the leaves apparently springing from the root. Along with plants from the related genus Yucca, various Agave species are popular ornamental plants.

Because this plant is an succulent.(Meaning it is mostly comprised of water) it has to dry out before woodworking can begin. This can take a year or more. Because of all this moisture, mold forms inside the stalk. That is what causes the Grey colors in the grains.

This wood also has MANY hard and soft spots. Making the shaping process that much harder. Boards 101.jpg Boards 059.jpg

19. BSnyder

Oct 20, 2013
    Prone paddleboard. 11' x 21.0"
    misc. 027.jpg misc. 028.jpg Paddle board 003.jpg Paddle board 008.jpg Paddle board 018.jpg

20. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Nice Barry! We had some Century Plants (American Agave) bloom this year around town. I may have to go knock on a couple doors to see if I can collect a couple stalks.