Can someone explain!

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by fupafest, Oct 25, 2013.

1. fupafest

fupafest Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Can someone please explain (in a educated manner) to me why this surf season has been so horrible. Are high pressure systems preventing storms from coming in? Is it the Jet stream? We have not have one solid hurricane swell this year which has not happened in my 10 years of surfing. Please...I repeat please spare me with the troll responses. I bet Dukestorm would know (showing my age lol)

2. 4ocean60

4ocean60 Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2010
    dry air off African coast.

3. instantkarma

instantkarma Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Some of the most intelligent people on the planet have a difficult time predicting weather patterns and trends. These are people that have lots of letters after thier name and make good money working for important organizations like NOAA. You won't find these types of folks on this site.

Educate yourself. A good place to start is Tony Butt's books on Surf Science. Happy reading!

4. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    It all has to do with solar activity.

5. pinkstink

pinkstink Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Not just the dry air, but the dust blowing off the Sahara towards the Caribbean. It keeps the air drier and also prevents some sunlight from reaching the ocean, thus keeping ocean temperatures cooler. This means less tropical storm formation, which means less waves...which means some very depressed surfers on the East Coast...which leads to a sharp increase in alcohol sales in beach communities. And thus the world goes round...It's all very scientific.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/Je...m-cooling-atlantic-hurricane-odds-for-early-a

6. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    earth tilt and/or the gulf oil spill.

7. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    It's mother nature - you're not supposed to "know." It's part of the allure of this whole surfing trip. Us idiot humans can't control it, which I guess angers some of you control freaks who think humans are quite sophisticated.

It is what it is.

And solid hurricane swells aren't a given phenomenon every year. Wow, the surf media, in the past 10-15 years, has deluded a generation of dudes into thinking tropical swells are the "be-all, end-all" of the east coast existence. We were well past due for a dud 'cane season. I mean some of y'all are condensing the entire east coast experience into a two month(late Aug - Oct) "surf season." How do you think January feels aboot that?

8. KookieMonster

KookieMonster Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
  9. KookieMonster

KookieMonster Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    ^taunting to see if i can get a rise out of her

10. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Wow, that's pretty good, KookieMonster. That was pretty witty and thought out. Good show....good show. British people say that..."Good show...good show." I'm sure Churchill did. Do you guys know Churchill was an alcoholic?

Kookie, might as well insult November and December too.........while you're at it

11. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Dont **** with November Kookie, its always the most misunderstood and least appreciated month of the year for beach life. And dont you dare talk dirty to December, stay away stay far away.....

12. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    There's been a preponderance of wooden aircraft carriers in the ocean since August. One is too many....and thus hayzeus keerist has been wrathful with his flatful.