Best wetsuit type for California (December)

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by Cski707, Nov 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Cski707

Cski707 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I am traveling to california over my winter break to go surfing. I hear that you need a wetsuit to surf there. Can someone link me help me find the right wetsuit for me!.

I also need a board bag that can fit two surfboards. 1 short-board and 1 foam board.

With your help I can purchase the best equipment to purchase!

2. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    1. NO wetty threads.
    2. NO wetty threads.
    3. There's a slight disparity in temp from NorCal to SoCal. When you say "California" you need half a wetty quiver to cover all possibilities. Very similar to saying "I'm going surfing on the east coast. " Maine to Florida would be included.
    4. Search, search, search, search, search (function).
    5. A 2-board travel bag clearly is what you need. Craigslist.

NO wetty threads.

3. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Hey man, if you're heading south you might want to consider traveling without your boards.

You don't need to waste money on a rental either. You'll need to do research beforehand but there are so many used boards out there in shops and on Craigslist that you can buy a decent one for < $200 or a well-used one for < $100, ride it, then let a shop take it back on consignment, or sell it on the street after your last session for 60% of what you paid. Or 40%, or whatever. Even if it doesn't sell you're likely to pay less for the board than you would for the airline fees + travel bag + hassle + roof rack + potential damage. Spend the money on a GOOD quality wetsuit instead.

Why not mix it up and try something different? Maybe try a shape or brand that's hard to find where you live. Plus, if you buy a used board from a shop that has demo boards you can definitely leverage a few sessions on shapes that you wouldn't have had access to back home.

In a week's time you could easily ride 4 different boards, own one of them and still spend less than it'll cost you to lug yours through the airport.

But hey, if you really like riding your boards then it's always worth taking them.

4. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    If you're talking about north of Los Angeles, you're gonna want a 4/3 mm and probably even booties in december. If LA and south, a 3/2 fullsuit is all you need.

5. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    I surfed for an hour in South OC this morning and trunked it no problem. Water had to have been 65 and air 75 and not a goosebump to be had. It was at least 3-4 degrees warmer in the water than when I was out there six weeks ago. Everyone thought I was nuts for trunking it!

6. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    idk, I get cold easily, maybe because I grew up in a warm climate (southeast). I'd be freezing my ass off trunking it in 65 deg water...especially if I stayed out for a couple hours...or any onshore wind

7. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Is this the same person who started the 'Hello!' thread....?

8. EmassSpicoli

Apr 16, 2013
    Yeah, there's a fine line between comfortable, stable, and unmanageable core body temps at different points for different people. 6 weeks ago I trunked it at Trestles and other spots north and was nearly hypo after an hour. Today, could've stayed out there for 3+ in just baggies. We can all get sensitized or desensitized to anything within reason. I wore a 3/2 wetty the two days prior at the same spots and was out for 2-3 hours no problem. It's just a pure feeling trunking it and being in transparent water with green faces. I was effin stoked. Not so stoked about the difficulty in airline travel getting home to bereave with the Fam tomorrow. Let's just say that I could hit the break with PB&J and any number of you hooligans if I didn't have my planes, trains, and automobiles flight back to Beantown first thing.

Make no mistake about it. The warm air masses should bless the Mid-Atlantic with at least some gifts these next few days. I'm gonna go hit the Carver in this hood (a real hood) to blow off steam since it's so warm at 0100 hours. No wetty needed.

9. Cski707

Cski707 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I meant to say southern cali. around Newport beach, blacks beach, ect

10. Cski707

Cski707 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    nope. I posted a thread about new jersey surf spots :)

11. ioman2

ioman2 Active Member

Oct 28, 2013
    if you go to blacks and surf far enough around the corner.....you wont have to wear anything at all.

(i once had a run in with a bare ass body boarder aka a creepy old dude there)