New Wave machine in NH!

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Franyfingers, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Franyfingers

Franyfingers Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2007
    [video=youtube;BZjB28PqwuI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjB28PqwuI[/video]

What you guys think????

Guys fly in from all over the US this week to try it out.

2. peakhunter

peakhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    you can pump forrrrrrevvvveerrrrrrrrr

3. RID

RID Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    That looks incredibly boring. Plus you have to wait in a line. Not sure why anyone would want to ride a standing wave like that, their seems to be no challenge.

4. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    that looks horrible.

5. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Clearly this is way better than real surfing since you can't get eaten by a shark.

So where is this place?

6. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    That does look boring. Plus if it's indoors why the wetsuits? Can't it be heated? There is a flowrider standing wave at Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg VA indooors and all the kiddies trunk that thing.

7. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Nashua, NH. North of the luxurious borough of Lowell, Mass as PB&J knows well.

Honestly, it's better than not having the damn place. The brahs that are saying it's a complete waste can't possibly be subjected to sustained flatness like we are. Plus, if you have skill you can maneuver on those standing waves somewhat. That guy's just pumping (and not even well or down the line) because it seems to be the extent of his skill set.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  8. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Yeah, but are you saying you wouldn't take it on an otherwise flat week?

ATTENTION NH/RI SURFERS.. IMMINENT EVENT WARNING... SURFERS INCAPABLE OF PADDLING HEADING SSE...

I hope you get to enjoy what the ocean has on tap this week, MFitz. I cannot, and would gladly try out this utterly stupid looking contraption.

9. Franyfingers

Franyfingers Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2007
    We have wetsuits on because they didnt turn the heat on yet. Its was 40 degrees out side and snowing last week.

They still haven't open yet.

I surfed In Tahiti couple weeks ago, came home to snow and flatness but there is the wave 45mins away from me, I like it.....

Its not the same as a flowrider, waters slower and deeper. they can adjust the depth of the water.

they use fins on the boards.

Chino

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  10. EastCoastBoast

EastCoastBoast Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2013
    eff this.. i hate the idea of wave machines. the ocean does it naturally so why fix the unbroken? that wave looks awful too. if your gonna design a wave machine at least make it perfect

11. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I hate those wave machines where you don't move anywhere. The best waves machines are the ones that create a REAL wave like they have down in disney world I think.

12. Poseidon

Poseidon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2013
    big deal. i have one of these in my house. it's fun for about 20 minutes and then it just gets old. i can't even imagine waiting in line. that must really suck!

13. EastCoastBoast

EastCoastBoast Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2013
    its funny how everyone is bagging on this.. they need to make one thats a combo of typhoon lagoon and the wave garden.. thats it!! I'm writing a letter!!!

14. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Poopy... wavegarden 2.0 looks like its getting a better push... I really want to see the next step with artificial waves. Ever since I surfed a bay during Sandy I have been having dreams where I can surf in bays off of marshgrass and crazy stuff. I want to see kelly's wave machine go into testing phase and put this "wave machine" out to dry.

15. jasorod

jasorod Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Why if there is so much pent up demand for a "real" artificial wave, something a little bigger than wave garden 2.0 (i.e., get it from waist to a solid chest/head high), doesn't it happen with all the technology we have at our disposal?

Frankly, I would prefer the ocean any day of the week, but us EC surfers can't always count on the swell being there ...

16. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Is that you??? The first guy?

17. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    definitely leaves something to be desired. Granted, a typical ocean wave is an under 10 sec ride, but all the contributing factors make it superior to this endless indoor wave.

An indoor standing wave would be good for learning airs and perfecting cutbacks, etc, but at the detriment of paddling and all the other many factors that come into play in ocean surfing...including acclimation to winter ocean temps. If this pool is all you had (or even the majority of your surfing), you'd be kooking in the real world/ocean

18. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Anybody who really surfs should be careful of that thing. It could really mess up your surfing by creating bad habits like stalling from the tail to avoid being shot over the back. Ride that thing one day and hit the real ocean the next and it could end up being a frustrating session. I would ride it if it was me and a couple of friends, I would never stand in line and pay money for that.

19. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Now this is awesome!

[video=youtube;fI2cLDEzNUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI2cLDEzNUo[/video]